Birthday

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Empty Cloud

Birthday

Post by Empty Cloud »

Dear Dharma friends,

My birthday is on the 28th of this month (2 more days) and I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for practice on this day.

Just to add, what makes it special is that not only is it COVID session but this is the first time I have direct evidence that death is imminent, and not just a topic in the texts. I developed cardiomyopathy diagnosed this year (LVEF~38%). I also have various other chronic mental and physical illnesses (schizophrenia, Asperger's, myasthenia gravis and fibromyalgia), chronic pain and a low immune system, among other things. I am understandably depressed.

I am thinking the most important thing is to forgive myself for my bad karma should I die this year or soon....it would the end of a very sad life....

Empty Cloud
cjdevries

Re: Birthday

Post by cjdevries »

I can't really offer any input, but have you checked out Andrew Holocek's free course available through Tricycle called "Transforming Obstacles into Opportunity"?https://learn.tricycle.org/pages/transf ... pportunity

I watched the first session today and learned some really important teachings and tools that I can take with me. A lot of the course is about facing life as it is and learning to open to suffering instead of contract. This is something that I can really use.

He gave the example of everyone being stuck in their houses this year and said what if we transform adversity into cause for celebration as much as possible. He recommended that we transform our attitude so that adversity is celebrated. I know this is much easier said than done for those of us that aren't fully enlightened.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Empty Cloud

Post by Empty Cloud »

cjdevries wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:43 am I can't really offer any input, but have you checked out Andrew Holocek's free course available through Tricycle called "Transforming Obstacles into Opportunity"?https://learn.tricycle.org/pages/transf ... pportunity

I watched the first session today and learned some really important teachings and tools that I can take with me. A lot of the course is about facing life as it is and learning to open to suffering instead of contract. This is something that I can really use.

He gave the example of everyone being stuck in their houses this year and said what if we transform adversity into cause for celebration as much as possible. He recommended that we transform our attitude so that adversity is celebrated. I know this is much easier said than done for those of us that aren't fully enlightened.
Thanks. I'll look into it. I believe this is based on a Nyingma text that is also taught by Lama Zopa Rinpoche.

Empty Cloud
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Also, have you seen this prayer from Jamyang Khentse Chokyi Lodro? https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... aspiration.

Through this prayer, you are essentially praying to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas for absolution for any wrongdoings.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
Empty Cloud

Post by Empty Cloud »

cjdevries wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:55 am Also, have you seen this prayer from Jamyang Khentse Chokyi Lodro? https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... aspiration.

Through this prayer, you are essentially praying to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas for absolution for any wrongdoings.
Thank you.

Empty Cloud
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I’m sorry to hear about your situation.

I think everyone here could offer advice on specific practices, but the best advice is to do practices in which you have confidence, and take advice from the guru in whom you have confidence; to remember that all major practices are in essence guru yoga, and that a moment of recognition of the true nature of the guru can eliminate endless lifetimes of negative karma. This is the advice that one of my gurus gave to a student with terminal cancer.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

PeterC wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:31 am I’m sorry to hear about your situation.

I think everyone here could offer advice on specific practices, but the best advice is to do practices in which you have confidence, and take advice from the guru in whom you have confidence; to remember that all major practices are in essence guru yoga, and that a moment of recognition of the true nature of the guru can eliminate endless lifetimes of negative karma. This is the advice that one of my gurus gave to a student with terminal cancer.
:good: And all good wishes Empty Cloud..🙏🏻🌹
Empty Cloud

Post by Empty Cloud »

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Empty Cloud :heart:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

At our house we do a candle lighting ritual.
It’s a bit complicated, but first, you prepare a kind of cake on which you write the name of the person whose birthday it is, along with some auspicious message (two or three words at most). The bigger the cake, the better.
Then, small candles, one for each year the person has lived, are inserted into the top of the cake and lit.
The cake is then offered to the birthday person who makes as auspicious wish and blows all the candles out. While the cake is presented, all in attendance sing a special song that is only sung during this ritual.
There are two very important parts to this: the candles must all be blown out in one breath, and the nature of the wish must be kept secret and not revealed before it comes true.
We have been doing this ever since I can remember.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Danny

Post by Danny »

You’ve got cake at your house?
:hug:
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Empty Cloud wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:35 am Dear Dharma friends,

My birthday is on the 28th of this month (2 more days) and I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for practice on this day.

Just to add, what makes it special is that not only is it COVID session but this is the first time I have direct evidence that death is imminent, and not just a topic in the texts. I developed cardiomyopathy diagnosed this year (LVEF~38%). I also have various other chronic mental and physical illnesses (schizophrenia, Asperger's, myasthenia gravis and fibromyalgia), chronic pain and a low immune system, among other things. I am understandably depressed.

I am thinking the most important thing is to forgive myself for my bad karma should I die this year or soon....it would the end of a very sad life....

Empty Cloud
Could recite Amitabha and transfer the merits or the Usnisa Vijaya Dharani

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uṣṇīṣa_ ... aṇī_Sūtra

Sorry to hear of your difficulties
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Dear Empty Cloud,

Very sorry to hear about your several mental and physical hindrances. I too suffer from a number of the same ones. For me, my heart conditions (two different ones) caused me to go into life retreat 11 years ago. I would be happy to add your name to my prayer list. If you'd like me to do that, please PM me with your name and year of birth.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Budai

Post by Budai »

Dear Friend. I want to wish you a Happy Birthday. Thank you so much for your contributions to Buddhism. Much Compassion and Love! :heart:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

If you find that for whatever reason formal practice does not bring solace, consider just chilling out and reflecting on the advantages of wisdom and compassion toward all beings. Just chilling is sometimes better. But I can't say for sure in your case. Just don't feel bad about taking a nap or doing something relaxing if it protects the mind better. Cloud watching is a nice one.
Empty Cloud

Post by Empty Cloud »

Thanks all :heart:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”