How to get started practicing the mantra of Green Tara

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Padmist

How to get started practicing the mantra of Green Tara

Post by Padmist »

How to get started practicing the mantra of Green Tara?
Lingpupa

Re: How to get started practicing the mantra of Green Tara

Post by Lingpupa »

Tara is one of the deities you can practice without empowerment, at least in a general sense. So you can straight off do something like 3* refuge and bodhicitta, maybe a simple offering, visualise her, recite mantra many times, dissolve and dedicate. Voila.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

Lingpupa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:44 am Tara is one of the deities you can practice without empowerment, at least in a general sense. So you can straight off do something like 3* refuge and bodhicitta, maybe a simple offering, visualise her, recite mantra many times, dissolve and dedicate. Voila.

Thanks friend. But how?

How do I do this "3 refuge" and "bodhicitta"? What do I recite? Do I read something?

What simple offering? I give fruit and water on Tara's altar?

Visualize her, like literally in front of me?

What mantra do I recite?

How do I dissolve and dedicate?

Thanks
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Padmist wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:37 am
Lingpupa wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:44 am Tara is one of the deities you can practice without empowerment, at least in a general sense. So you can straight off do something like 3* refuge and bodhicitta, maybe a simple offering, visualise her, recite mantra many times, dissolve and dedicate. Voila.

Thanks friend. But how?

How do I do this "3 refuge" and "bodhicitta"? What do I recite? Do I read something?

What simple offering? I give fruit and water on Tara's altar?

Visualize her, like literally in front of me?

What mantra do I recite?

How do I dissolve and dedicate?

Thanks
Just find an online class or a class in meatspace.
There was a Tara puja online just yesterday in my surrounding.
It's literally practiced everywhere in Tibetan Buddhism. Just join and see how they are performing it.
You don't have to learn this on your own by an internet forum. That's a very improper and ineffective way to learn it.

At least you can look for this information on studybuddhism.com. I'm sorry to bug you with repeating myself, but it's not our member's businesses to teach meditation or pujas on this board.
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

What is meatspace? I am going on a dark place when I googled it.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Padmist wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:04 am What is meatspace? I am going on a dark place when I googled it.
Oh wow, I'm so sorry. I always forget that it's only an unusual term for 'real life' as opposite of digital space.
If the pandemy allows, meet some Tara practicioners in person and chant the mantra together with them.
It's so much easier to find out what's it all about then. :-)
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

This is a little more complex than required for beginner practice. However, if you don't mind, you may start with this.

https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-do-gre ... -practice/
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

Thanks Wei.

Yes guys, no need to teach me. Just please cite links you would recommend.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

You may just recite the mantra as and when you like. Don't need to go through complete sadhana everytime.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

There are a lot of mantras set to songs and Amazon is a convenient place to buy them. Listening to them is a good way to get them stuck in your head, just like any other song. Also, don't forget that there are 21 Taras and they all help with different things. There is an Orange Tara who helps to overcome diseases such as the current pandemic. There is a prayer you can add to your practice which is a list of praises to all 21 Taras. It is like taking a spiritual multivitamin.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

To complement what WeiHan said, something simple you could do would be to just recite a prayer like this https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... -suffering and then the mantra. Then finish with “may this merit be dedicated to the benefit of all beings”.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”