New To Buddhism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Raham.karma

New To Buddhism

Post by Raham.karma »

Tashi Delek, I'm new to Dharma, for about 2 years I've been doing shinay meditation (I received teaching from a Shambhala instructor) and I love the practice. I do it a solid 2 hours daily and have been for 1 year and a half. I also recite a lot of Chenrezig mantra daily, but because there aren't any teachers near me I'm not really able to progress and would feel better about it if I had transmission. I'm really drawn to Chenrezig, and to devotional practices in general, so what would people recommend as beginning practices that I can do without taking a particular teacher (though I'm searching).
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: New To Buddhism

Post by Ayu »

I'm no teacher, but I believe Chenrezig is so fine, when you're attracted to it already. What a blessing!
A transmission will pass your way, I truely believe. :smile:
Raham.karma

Post by Raham.karma »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:08 pm I'm no teacher, but I believe Chenrezig is so fine, when you're attracted to it already. What a blessing!
I think it's amazing, I recite 100 mala a day because I read the virtues associated with it from Lama Zopa Rinpoche, I love it a lot.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Raham.karma wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:03 pm Tashi Delek, I'm new to Dharma, for about 2 years I've been doing shinay meditation (I received teaching from a Shambhala instructor) and I love the practice. I do it a solid 2 hours daily and have been for 1 year and a half. I also recite a lot of Chenrezig mantra daily, but because there aren't any teachers near me I'm not really able to progress and would feel better about it if I had transmission. I'm really drawn to Chenrezig, and to devotional practices in general, so what would people recommend as beginning practices that I can do without taking a particular teacher (though I'm searching).
The four noble truths, the four mind trainings that turn the mind to dharma, generate bodhichitta, say your prayers and eat your vitamins.
Best of luck.

D

Edit...

The teacher thing will sort itself out, I recommend that you absorb a lot, read, study and reflect. Also keep an eye on your wallet. Spend wisely, ask here about material to purchase and make wise and informed purchases of materials.
I donated lots of dharmic books to the local library...
It might not be a bad idea to actually go to a library and look for dharma books.
Also understand the commonality of all dharma across all schools to TB, don’t get locked into any one schools positions, but understand that all schools agree on sutra, but place differences on the Tantras. That’s about all.
They’re just positions.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Raham.karma wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:11 pm
Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:08 pm I'm no teacher, but I believe Chenrezig is so fine, when you're attracted to it already. What a blessing!
I think it's amazing, I recite 100 mala a day because I read the virtues associated with it from Lama Zopa Rinpoche, I love it a lot.
If you keep that up you will attract the attention of someone who is already seeking for you. And that’s a good thing.
Raham.karma

Post by Raham.karma »

Danny wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm
The teacher thing will sort itself out, I recommend that you absorb a lot, read, study and reflect. Also keep an eye on your wallet. Spend wisely, ask here about material to purchase and make wise and informed purchases of materials.
It might not be a bad idea to actually go to a library and look for dharma books.
Also understand the commonality of all dharma across all schools to TB, don’t get locked into any one schools positions, but understand that all schools agree on sutra, but place differences on the Tantras. That’s about all.
They’re just positions.
Yes, I'm in no rush to take a particular teacher, I think that will come along as it comes. And I agree with you too about not getting too caught up in particular lineages, etc.

I'm mostly concerned about what I can and can't do as practices right now without a teacher. Like, for example, I really want to do prostrations (if a teacher told me my practice is to do 100,000 prostrations over and over again until I die, I would LOVE that) but I'm not clear if I can or cannot do that without a teacher. Also, what offerings can I make without a teacher? Currently I do the water offerings daily and I dedicate this to the Three Jewels, and I burn juniper as an offering, light butter lamps), is this ok without a teacher? I assume it is, but I like to know.
Giovanni wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:35 pm
If you keep that up you will attract the attention of someone who is already seeking for you. And that’s a good thing.
😊 My main thing, again, aside from the shinay meditation, is devotion to Chenrezig through the mantra recitation and Mani wheel, and I love this a lot. Can I make 100,000 prostrations to Chenrezig, just as an offering to him? I would love to do this if it's allowed, I feel a very strong inclination towards him.
heart

Post by heart »

Raham.karma wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:54 pm 😊 My main thing, again, aside from the shinay meditation, is devotion to Chenrezig through the mantra recitation and Mani wheel, and I love this a lot. Can I make 100,000 prostrations to Chenrezig, just as an offering to him? I would love to do this if it's allowed, I feel a very strong inclination towards him.
You don't need a permission from anyone here to do that. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Raham.karma

Post by Raham.karma »

heart wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 am You don't need a permission from anyone here to do that. :smile:

/magnus
Ah, yes, but more I mean is a person free to decide something like this and just do it? Forgive me, maybe it is a dumb question, but I literally don't know and I just want to do things well, ha!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Raham.karma wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:13 am
heart wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:07 am You don't need a permission from anyone here to do that. :smile:

/magnus
Ah, yes, but more I mean is a person free to decide something like this and just do it? Forgive me, maybe it is a dumb question, but I literally don't know and I just want to do things well, ha!
In my view, we learn about the Dharma from outside teachers, rules and alike. But we learn from inside aspects as well. I know nothing about where these wholesome inner aspects come from, but they are existent.
Often I heard people telling the story that when they firstly met Buddhism they felt as if being at home finally. Nobody told them how they are supposed to feel.

If there's something wrong with your prostrations to Chenrezig, your body or something else will show you. Just try to be aware, don't force anything blindly. Rather try with honest awareness.

This is only my idea. I don't know you and thus I can't give solid advice. If you'd meet a good teacher, that would be very helpful. Buddhism is being taught from person to person.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Raham.karma wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:54 pm
Danny wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm
They’re just positions.
Yes, I'm in no rush to take a particular teacher, I think that will come along as it comes. And I agree with you too about not getting too caught up in particular lineages, etc.

I'm mostly concerned about what I can and can't do as practices right now without a teacher. Like, for example, I really want to do prostrations (if a teacher told me my practice is to do 100,000 prostrations over and over again until I die, I would LOVE that) but I'm not clear if I can or cannot do that without a teacher. Also, what offerings can I make without a teacher? Currently I do the water offerings daily and I dedicate this to the Three Jewels, and I burn juniper as an offering, light butter lamps), is this ok without a teacher? I assume it is, but I like to know.
Giovanni wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:35 pm
😊 My main thing, again, aside from the shinay meditation, is devotion to Chenrezig through the mantra recitation and Mani wheel, and I love this a lot. Can I make 100,000 prostrations to Chenrezig, just as an offering to him? I would love to do this if it's allowed, I feel a very strong inclination towards him.
Yeah, your doing it already, just let go of the doubts.

D
Raham.karma

Post by Raham.karma »

Yes, you're both right, I will just practice these things and when it is meant to be I will meet my teacher.
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Ayu wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:16 am

/magnus
In my view, we learn about the Dharma from outside teachers, rules and alike. But we learn from inside aspects as well. I know nothing about where these wholesome inner aspects come from, but they are existent.
Often I heard people telling the story that when they firstly met Buddhism they felt as if being at home finally. Nobody told them how they are supposed to feel.

If there's something wrong with your prostrations to Chenrezig, your body or something else will show you. Just try to be aware, don't force anything blindly. Rather try with honest awareness.

This is only my idea. I don't know you and thus I can't give solid advice. If you'd meet a good teacher, that would be very helpful. Buddhism is being taught from person to person.
:good:
heart

Post by heart »

/magnus
You can do whatever you want. However it might be a good idea to contact a lama if you want to do your practice in the best possible way. Try email Lama Zopa or his secretary for example.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

One does not need a teacher to do prostrations to any Buddha/Bodhisattva or offer butter lamps, incense, flowers, water etc..However, it is nice to study how offerings and prostrations are being done.
Raham.karma

Post by Raham.karma »

Thank you all for this information and advice, it is very encouraging.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”