What is the proof for anatman in tantra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Artziebetter1

What is the proof for anatman in tantra

Post by Artziebetter1 »

I have heard that the tantras promote anatman and momentariness thereof and that dolpopa misquoted the tantras to promote a self view.what is the biggest proof for anatman in the tantras and momentariness of the alaya therein?I don't want this to be a debate about wether prasangika is correct or shentong is correct I just want to know if there are any tantras that support the so called anatman/momentariness view and go against the permanent self view.

Forgive my ignorance btw.anatta is all over the Pali suttas so I would be weary as coming from the buddha of anything wich contradicts it in any other texts that claim to be from the buddha.
Bristollad

Re: What is the proof for anatman in tantra

Post by Bristollad »

From my studies, all Buddhist tantras have the view of emptiness as their base. I haven't come across one instance of a Buddhist tantra promoting the view of a truly existing self.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It is Sutra rather than Tantra, but the Heart Sutra has a mantra in it. I was looking it up to post here about how it discusses the five aggregates. It is a short version of the longer Perfection of Wisdom Sutras. They can be shortened further to the letter A in Tibetan, often visualized with colorful circles around it.

https://plumvillage.org/about/thich-nha ... anslation/

It seems that this famous Buddhist teacher wrote a new version in 2014 and I'm going to go ahead and download the MP3 now. Thanks for causing me to look it up and find this.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Artziebetter1 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:07 am I have heard that the tantras promote anatman and momentariness thereof and that dolpopa misquoted the tantras to promote a self view.what is the biggest proof for anatman in the tantras and momentariness of the alaya therein?I don't want this to be a debate about wether prasangika is correct or shentong is correct I just want to know if there are any tantras that support the so called anatman/momentariness view and go against the permanent self view.
All of them.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”