Know what this is?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Know what this is?

Post by Queequeg »

Two copies of these thangkas came into my possession by mistake.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Know what this is?

Post by Queequeg »

Just realized the image is upside down.

These came into my possession when a relative's ex was returning items to her. She gave them to me because she has no interest in them.

I'm going to reach out to the fellow to see if he might know the rightful owner. Hopefully I will find the owner.

In the event that I do not, what should I do with these? My instinct would be to find a monk or nun in the tradition these come from and give it to them to dispose of.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
heart

Post by heart »

om mani padme hung

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

It appears to be the mani mantra in uchen script (though the hU~M seems a bit strange)

ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྃ
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thanks.

I'm curious about the use of this object. Which tradition is it used in? What practices is it associated with? etc. That would help if I am to transfer it to someone who can dispose of it properly.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tourist art. It has no use.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thanks.
cky

Post by cky »

I wouldn't throw it in the trash, however. The mantra is sacred even though someone produced this to sell it to tourists...
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Yes. Makes things complicated.

I'll try to return them to their rightful owner. Failing that...
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Although made primarily for tourists and not associated with any particular practice or lineage, this painting does still carry the great blessings of the Mani mantra. Personally, I recommend you keep it and hang it somewhere in your home where guests can see it. No need to return or get rid of it. I have one somewhat similar in my own home.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Budai

Post by Budai »

You could always give it as a gift to someone who might use it, in the way that pemachophel implies, if you don’t want to keep it yourself, if you trust they will respect it. Isn’t there a practice to revere even Buddhist mantras we write down on paper? I think it’s great to accept everyone’s contributions to Buddhism, even those who just make things as their own artwork or artwork for tourists, despite the much greater need to preserve lineage’s traditions. I think it’s a beautiful work of art personally, and there are people who thirst for every amount of Buddhism they can come across, however it is presented, because of their need to grow their Bodhicitta.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Om Mani Padme Hum.
Last edited by Budai on Mon May 10, 2021 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Pretty nice, though.
You could donate it to a Buddhist center that holds a fundraiser. I’d buy it and use it as a shrine table cloth.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

cky wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm I wouldn't throw it in the trash, however. The mantra is sacred even though…
How best then to dispose of prayer flags printed on plastic? You can’t burn them.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:51 am
cky wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm I wouldn't throw it in the trash, however. The mantra is sacred even though…
How best then to dispose of prayer flags printed on plastic? You can’t burn them.
The best way to dispose of them is to refrain from purchasing them in the first place.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

If you are going to hang it on the grounds that it is the Mani (albeit with questionable script) you should know that as shown here it is upside down. Hanging it like that would not be 100% auspicious!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Thank you, all, for the input.

They are really well painted and striking. The typical bright pigments and delicate hand. And of course, Om Mani Padme Hum.

And it is really pretty and nice to look at. I can imagine it to be inspiring for others, too.

The first time I heard the mantra was in China on my way to Wutaishan. They were playing a CD on the bus, with the kind of typical cheesy Chinese accompaniment music, a chorus of tenors singing. The chant really got into me. I wonder if the driver was playing that at least a little bit for protection - on the drive up we encountered an overturned truck on a narrow mountain cut back, and then had to change buses to take the long way around, through snow along those 3rd world narrow mountain roads that dropped off into darkness on one side with no guardrails. We made it safely, and it being cold winter, almost had the whole temple complex to ourselves - no crowds at all.

Kannon (Avalokitesvara/Chenrezig) homage has been part of my practice lately. Maybe its a little auspicious that these two paintings came into my hands.

I'm curious that the script is non-standard. Anyone have more detail on that?
Danny

Post by Danny »

It’s actually quite nice, I would hang it up. With the center OM the right way up, could be a nice talking point for visitors or guests etc.

Nice.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I just got a response and the fellow who sent it doesn't know who it belongs to. He said I can take care of them.

I have two. If someone wants one, PM me. If I get several requests, I might need to have a lottery or something.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Why not the person who can describe it the best way wins?
I mean there’s definitely a dharmic lesson in there. A back story that can be interesting.
Dharma can awaken and hook people in infinite ways.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

That sounds fun. I'll pay shipping. :) If its international, it might be slow boat, though, depending on cost.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”