6th Dalai Lama

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Danny

6th Dalai Lama

Post by Danny »

Anybody know of good literature on the 6th Dalai Lamas life, I was reading from Mindrolling sources about him..
Seems like my man.
Cheers.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: 6th Dalai Lama

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

There’s a small book of his writings either to or about his lovers. I don’t remember it clearly enough to say which.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

I have bought this one, some time ago:

The following two should be interesting as well:

Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

His love songs have been translated many times, and a search should reveal some of them. There is also Hidden Treasures and Secret Lives by Aris, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Danny

Post by Danny »

tingdzin wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:02 am His love songs have been translated many times, and a search should reveal some of them. There is also Hidden Treasures and Secret Lives by Aris, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Cool 😎, was checking out the Hidden life book, Majushri posted up, looks kinda legit, but kinda on the expensive side of life.

Here’s my issue I think.
A lot of times these books tend to tread over the same material, the 6ths life was short albeit personally I think is a fascinating one,
and I get there’s not much material or story to go over, and these types of publications pad out the story with all manners of filler,
I’m searching for something a bit more hardcore.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

This is valid complaint. Since the 6th Dalai Lama was a bit unorthodox in writing love songs, this is the aspect of his life that has been most focused on, first by scholars, and then by people looking to make an easy buck on other peoples' work.

Probably your best bet in that case is to look at the Aris book, and the one by Dargyay, and see what material they relied on. I suspect there is not (comparatively) too much available even in Tibetan.
Danny

Post by Danny »

tingdzin wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 am This is valid complaint. Since the 6th Dalai Lama was a bit unorthodox in writing love songs, this is the aspect of his life that has been most focused on, first by scholars, and then by people looking to make an easy buck on other peoples' work.

Probably your best bet in that case is to look at the Aris book, and the one by Dargyay, and see what material they relied on. I suspect there is not (comparatively) too much available even in Tibetan.
Thanks, maybe I’ll root around in the foot notes for source
Materials and chase that up.
Dargyays looks the winner at the mo.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”