Why does Lama Zopa Rinpoche sway?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Hazel
Former staff member

Why does Lama Zopa Rinpoche sway?

Post by Hazel »

I noticed that Lama Zopa Rinpoche sways as he walks and appears to need help/stabilization at times. Is this related to the stroke he suffered?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Why does Lama Zopa Rinpoche sway?

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Hazel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 pm I noticed that Lama Zopa Rinpoche sways as he walks and appears to need help/stabilization at times. Is this related to the stroke he suffered?
I've observed that some Lamas have hip trouble from sitting so long.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Danny

Post by Danny »

Myself have bad knees.

It’s called getting old.
n8pee

Post by n8pee »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 pm I've observed that some Lamas have hip trouble from sitting so long.
Glenn Mullin once pointed this out about the late Denma Locho Rinpoche that long-time meditators tend to walk like ducks.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 pm
Hazel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:40 pm I noticed that Lama Zopa Rinpoche sways as he walks and appears to need help/stabilization at times. Is this related to the stroke he suffered?
I've observed that some Lamas have hip trouble from sitting so long.
Yes, it straight up hurts to sit that long and during retreat Rinpoche's teaching sessions can run for some time.
Sometimes evening sessions might run 5-7 hours or more.

Shaun :namaste:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Probably.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

n8pee wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:54 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 pm I've observed that some Lamas have hip trouble from sitting so long.
Glenn Mullin once pointed this out about the late Denma Locho Rinpoche that long-time meditators tend to walk like ducks.
Tibetans in general tend to waddle.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Rinpoche still has weakness on the right side of his body from the stroke. This a not uncommon long term effect for someone who has had a stroke. When you watch videos of Rinpoche, you can see this affects his gait, his right hand and the right side of his face.
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Bristollad wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm Rinpoche still has weakness on the right side of his body from the stroke. This a not uncommon long term effect for someone who has had a stroke. When you watch videos of Rinpoche, you can see this affects his gait, his right hand and the right side of his face.
Thank you for the rigorous response. This makes sense. Did the slurred speech start then too?

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Hazel wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:23 pm
Bristollad wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm Rinpoche still has weakness on the right side of his body from the stroke. This a not uncommon long term effect for someone who has had a stroke. When you watch videos of Rinpoche, you can see this affects his gait, his right hand and the right side of his face.
Thank you for the rigorous response. This makes sense. Did the slurred speech start then too?
Yes, it's due to the right-side weakness affecting his face. Compare his speech in this video shortly before the stroke manifested:

with this one from 2014:
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Thank you.

May he remain in this world and turn the wheel of dharma for living beings.

Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:48 pm Thank you.

May he remain in this world and turn the wheel of dharma for living beings.
:anjali:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”