Teachers in Dharmasala

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
anushasundar

Teachers in Dharmasala

Post by anushasundar »

Dear all,

I hope you're in good health and doing well. I'm planning to save up money to travel to Dharmasala (I've been there once for a short time before) in 2022. I'm seeking the perfect Lama to learn from. Does anyone have specific recommendations of Lamas in Dharmasala and surrounding areas and how I can contact them or reach them? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Anusha
Arnoud

Re: Teachers in Dharmasala

Post by Arnoud »

anushasundar wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:17 pm Dear all,

I hope you're in good health and doing well. I'm planning to save up money to travel to Dharmasala (I've been there once for a short time before) in 2022. I'm seeking the perfect Lama to learn from. Does anyone have specific recommendations of Lamas in Dharmasala and surrounding areas and how I can contact them or reach them? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Anusha
It really depends what you want to learn exactly. Also, just to prevent any future problems for you, there are no perfect lamas.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

anushasundar wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:17 pm Dear all,

Sincerely,
Anusha
I don't, but you'll probably get more response from the helpful people here if you get specific. What tradition or school? What language do you want to learn in? Dou you want to learn abhidharma? Take vows? Learn shinay meditation? Or sadhanas? The help you get here and the benefit of your trip will probably both be improved if you think those sorts of thing through a bit. (And good luck!)
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
anushasundar

Post by anushasundar »

Thank you. I want to have teachings in English. Any Vajrayana tradition is fine and I'm open to learning all that you mentioned. So if you know of any masters in Dharmasala who are fluent English speakers please let me know. Thank you so much
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

anushasundar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 pm Thank you. I want to have teachings in English. Any Vajrayana tradition is fine and I'm open to learning all that you mentioned. So if you know of any masters in Dharmasala who are fluent English speakers please let me know. Thank you so much
Why are you pinned down on Dharamsala?
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Sincerely,
Anusha
Dharamsala is just another place. Perfect teachers are not easy to find. What makes you think you'll be able to?

The practice is not anywhere else but here. Why would you need to be somewhere else to practice?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

anushasundar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 pm Thank you. I want to have teachings in English. Any Vajrayana tradition is fine and I'm open to learning all that you mentioned. So if you know of any masters in Dharmasala who are fluent English speakers please let me know. Thank you so much
I would recommend moving around india and nepal to receive the teachings you want to receive. Its not hard to move arround india and Nepal and not expensive.

Dharamsala is a nice place to be but your exposure to dharma will be limited to certain teachers, particulary gelugpa if you stay there.
anushasundar

Post by anushasundar »

Arnoud wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:18 pm
Why are you pinned down on Dharamsala?
I'm open to other places. Any suggestions of specific masters and their location/contacts?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Yeah, having been there it was my least favorite place. If you can see HHDL that would be great but otherwise it’s not that wonderful. I also had weird dreams there.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Or, to put it a different way: There are many places out there (perhaps some near you) that could support your practice. If Dharamsala is one, then OK. But just because it's officially a center of Buddhism doesn't mean it will support your practice.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

there are not many teachers around Dharamsala. i onky aware of Chamtrul Rinpoche (longchen nyingthig) and another nyingma lama who used to reside in the area but i'm not sure if he is still here or have moved to u.s. other places in himachal worthy considering to give a visit are:
1. Bir where there are 2 monasteries, one nyingma and one neten chokling and also there is a house of Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche.
2. Rewalsar / Tso Pema. don't know much about lamas residing there. better to ask around among tibetans there.
3. Tashijong - a seat of Khamtrul Rinpoche (drukpa)
4. Shimla - there is Jonang monastery there and also the monastery of late Taklung Tsetrul Rinpoche (nyingma)
5. there is new Drukpa Chogon 's monastery near Bhunthar.

due to covid i bet most of the monasteries are closed for visitors though, so meeting with lamas will require persistance and patience i guess.
stay open, spread love
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Serkong Rinpoche is in Dharamsala. He has a big heart and is very skillful. He teaches mainly on bodhicitta and Mahayana teachings.

And of course, HH Dalai Lama gives his teachings from Dharamsala.

But I agree with the others, Dharamsala is very Geluk oriented. If you are looking for logic, philosophy and bodhicitta, it is a fantastic place to be. If you are looking to be a yogi... maybe not.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 pm
Dharamsala is just another place. Perfect teachers are not easy to find. What makes you think you'll be able to?

The practice is not anywhere else but here. Why would you need to be somewhere else to practice?
I’m not so sure about this, I think it might be a sort of new age saying floating around. Even in Theravada you need a good teacher and good conditions if you’re going to make any real progress.

Maybe it’s true in the end... but one can’t even begin to practice the vajrayana without a teacher. Guru is everything.
Budai

Post by Budai »

I personally would Love to study Buddhism in the monastic communities they have in Dharamsala. Dharamsala seems like a wonderful place. These days a lot of Buddhists are having trouble with persecution and being able to practice in Peace and Security, and I think that India, as well as Dharamsala being in India, being part of where the Tibetan government is in exile, it is a fairly safe place since that’s where the Lamas are headquartered. These days I’m most concerned about safety for practitioners, so as opposed to China or Tibet, I think Dharamsala would be a better option for one to go to and become a student of a Lama there. Maybe I am being idealistic, but I hope Dharamsala is as safe as it aught to be.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:54 am Serkong Rinpoche is in Dharamsala. He has a big heart and is very skillful. He teaches mainly on bodhicitta and Mahayana teachings.

And of course, HH Dalai Lama gives his teachings from Dharamsala.

But I agree with the others, Dharamsala is very Geluk oriented. If you are looking for logic, philosophy and bodhicitta, it is a fantastic place to be. If you are looking to be a yogi... maybe not.
The hills are filled with Gelug yogis, no?
dzoki

Post by dzoki »

Chamtrul Rinpoche lives in Dharamsala, he is a great scholar who studied under Jigme Phuntsog Rinpoche in Tibet. He also undertook several longer retreats. He mostly teaches Longchen Nyingthig. He has Western students and his English is quite good. His place in Dharamsala is quite small, so you will need to ask around and see whether Rinpoche is in retreat or not. Rinpoche is very straight forward and humble, he is not fond of groupies or high status and keeps things about his person low key and simple. As soon as he is done teaching, he leaves to study and do his practice and he follows a strict daily schedule, which might seem - to people who love to hang out with Tibetan teachers - as off putting and strict, but I personaly appreciate that.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:01 am

I’m not so sure about this, I think it might be a sort of new age saying floating around. Even in Theravada you need a good teacher and good conditions if you’re going to make any real progress.

Maybe it’s true in the end... but one can’t even begin to practice the vajrayana without a teacher. Guru is everything.
I think the point - which I agree with - is you can find a teacher in most places of the world, likely including where ever the original poster is. Trying to reach for something other than what's available when what you have available is sufficient is a trap that is counter productive to practice. I don't think there is any statement in the quote that one does not need a teacher.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Please read my follow-up post which acknowledges this. You didn't read my correction. I have nothing to do with new age movements.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

jmlee369 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:29 am
The hills are filled with Gelug yogis, no?
Yes... but you won't be interacting with them. The ones who teach foreigners are a few rinpoches in Mcleod Ganj. Anyway, the geluk tradition generally doesn't send people into retreat until after many years of study. Those people in the meditation huts are mostly all geshes. Although, who knows... maybe if you make a good connection with a teacher who thinks it's a good idea to let you do retreat, it could happen.

avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:38 pm
Please read my follow-up post which acknowledges this. You didn't read my correction. I have nothing to do with new age movements.
avatamsaka3 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:20 am Or, to put it a different way: There are many places out there (perhaps some near you) that could support your practice. If Dharamsala is one, then OK. But just because it's officially a center of Buddhism doesn't mean it will support your practice.
My mistake, I see it now. Didn't mean to imply. I've heard a lot of people say over the years things like "enlightenment is right here" as a reaction to people's aspirations to go find a spiritual teacher. It was usually coming from the "you are your own guru" types.

I think you're right about not fixating on any one place just because it's an official center of buddhism. Sort of chasing after the name... But I suppose that's all people have to go on until they hear about other places and ways to approach it all.

Hazel wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:19 pm
SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:01 am

I think the point - which I agree with - is you can find a teacher in most places of the world, likely including where ever the original poster is. Trying to reach for something other than what's available when what you have available is sufficient is a trap that is counter productive to practice. I don't think there is any statement in the quote that one does not need a teacher.
It's a good point. On the other hand, maybe one doesn't need to settle for whatever teacher is nearby just because it's good enough. There are many teachers out there, and some are actually pretty amazing. But those ones can be rare... but worth seeking out. Especially if one is able and willing to travel to do so. The spiritual search is an incredible journey. So many masters of the past have travelled far to foreign lands to receive the holy Dharma. I think it is admirable to emulate them.

Another thing is, it sounds to me like the OP is Indian, perhaps a native of India. In India, Dharamsala has a very big reputation of being a great center of Tibetan Buddhism. After all, the Dalai Lama is there. Maybe people in India hear about Dharamsala because it makes the news, but don't hear about other places where one can learn Tibetan Dharma.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Anyone travelling to India right now needs their head examining, shortly after they've done a PCR test for the various strains of COVID circulating there.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”