Ceremony for Generating Bodhicitta and Vows

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Hazel
Former staff member

Ceremony for Generating Bodhicitta and Vows

Post by Hazel »

Hello all,

Does the Ceremony for Generating Bodhicitta bestow Bodhisattva vows?

On February 26th, 2021 His Holiness the Dalai Lama performed this ceremony and I followed along getting on one knee, etc. Have I been bestowed with the vows?

(And by vows I mean the 18 root and 46 branch)

I read somewhere that this ceremony is not a formal pledge and wanted to verify.

Thank you!
Last edited by Hazel on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Ceremony for Generating Bodhicitta and Vows

Post by Hazel »

heart

Post by heart »

Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:52 pm Hello all,

On February 26th, 2021 His Holiness the Dalai Lama performed this ceremony and I followed along getting on one knee, etc. Have I been bestowed with the vows?

I read somewhere that this ceremony is not a formal pledge and wanted to verify.

Thank you!
Yes, that is how you get them. If someone suggest otherwise you can ignore that.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Danny

Post by Danny »

Thank you!
Agree with heart. Absolutely and congratulations.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Thank you!! :bow:

Next up formal refuge vows when the pandemic clears (I want to do that in person)... Doing things sort of out of order, but oh well. I know that matters for one lineage of vows, but I don't think matters for the ones HHDL gives.

karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:48 pm Thank you!! :bow:

Next up formal refuge vows when the pandemic clears (I want to do that in person)... Doing things sort of out of order, but oh well. I know that matters for one lineage of vows, but I don't think matters for the ones HHDL gives.
You know.. .. I missed the part where they said to get on one knee and I don't think I even did that. But I feel I truly received them anyway.
Regarding refuge, you can take refuge from a distance from Garchen Rinpoche if you feel that would be appropriate. That is just one option of course, but one that is precious since Garchen Rinpoche is an incredible teacher.

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

karmanyingpo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:10 pm

You know.. .. I missed the part where they said to get on one knee and I don't think I even did that. But I feel I truly received them anyway.
Regarding refuge, you can take refuge from a distance from Garchen Rinpoche if you feel that would be appropriate. That is just one option of course, but one that is precious since Garchen Rinpoche is an incredible teacher.

KN
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a specific teacher though I want to receive the vows from and I want to do it in person.

How are you going about making sure you don't break the vows or knowing which ones you've broken so you can purify them? I was thinking of sitting down and memorizing the list.

I wanted to have a "vow of the day" website, but I don't know where I can get a public domain or CC licensed reliable list of the vows.

karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:40 pm

KN
Thank you for the suggestion. I have a specific teacher though I want to receive the vows from and I want to do it in person.

How are you going about making sure you don't break the vows or knowing which ones you've broken so you can purify them? I was thinking of sitting down and memorizing the list.

I wanted to have a "vow of the day" website, but I don't know where I can get a public domain or CC licensed reliable list of the vows.
I don't do as diligent of a job with that as I should. I just kind of haphazardly purify as things come to mind during sessions. Your approach sounds more systematic and thorough. I should try being more like that

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:40 pm I wanted to have a "vow of the day" website, but I don't know where I can get a public domain or CC licensed reliable list of the vows.
If you are referring to the bodhisattva vows, the list available from FPMT https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... zvwFyZy1WG is reliable.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
Danny

Post by Danny »

KN

"Jamgön Kongtrül Lodrö Tayé was one of the leading scholars of the nineteenth century. He broke through sectarian constraints and achieved a deep understanding of the the different philosophical approaches in Tibet. I have no doubt that by studying Kongtrul's works readers will be inspired to emulate his great qualities of humility, dedication, patience, and nonsectarianism."—H.H. the Dalai Lama
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Lobsang Chojor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:23 pm
Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:40 pm I wanted to have a "vow of the day" website, but I don't know where I can get a public domain or CC licensed reliable list of the vows.
If you are referring to the bodhisattva vows, the list available from FPMT https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... zvwFyZy1WG is reliable.
I have access to the vows, I'm looking for a version that I can reproduce without permission.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Permission?

Bodhisattva vows are an intellectual property right ?

What I’m saying and is for you to determine your own understanding of these vows and you publish.

Lol you can’t cut and paste.

Your gonna have to live it and experience it and then post🐽

Work.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Danny wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 pm Permission?

Any copy of the vows will have some implicit or explicit ownership. I was hoping to throw up a webpage in which one or two appeared daily for contemplation.

FPMT's copy has this:
No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any means, electronic
or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage
and retrieval system or technologies now known or developed, without permission in writing from the publisher.
I philosophically disagree, but in practical terms I strictly comply with that sort of thing. We should probably not delve into a discussion/debate about copyright and intellectual property - I think at this point there's not much new ground that can be discussed.

Danny

Post by Danny »

Hazel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:51 pm
Danny wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 pm Permission?

Any copy of the vows will have some implicit or explicit ownership. I was hoping to throw up a webpage in which one or two appeared daily for contemplation.

FPMT's copy has this:
No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any means, electronic
or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage
and retrieval system or technologies now known or developed, without permission in writing from the publisher.
I philosophically disagree, but in practical terms I strictly comply with that sort of thing. We should probably not delve into a discussion/debate about copyright and intellectual property - I think at this point there's not much new ground that can be discussed.
Hazel it’s what I’m saying, your gonna have to work at it on the mat and in life and present your knowledge.
Work.

I’m 1 million percent behind you.

Start a YouTube video .. we’re behind you all the way
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Aside from studying them - everyone breaks their vows fairly regularly, which is why everyone should do some kind of daily purification practice.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Thank you all! This plus the advice in my last post about the topic should be all I need. I just wanted to verify I took what I had intended to take.

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Thank you!
His Holiness has been offering this ceremony quite regularly during his livestreamed teachings, during one of them I remember His Holiness quickly listed the 18 root vows, but I don't think the English translation translated that part. So yes, bodhisattva vows are being conferred.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I think HHDL confers the Athisa stream of bodhisattva vows, there’s an Asanga one also..

If memory serves.

There’s no difference in the vows, just the order of its conference.
I think one maintains refuge before bodhisattva vows, the other is makes no difference.
Something along those lines.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Danny wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 pm I think HHDL confers the Athisa stream of bodhisattva vows, there’s an Asanga one also..

If memory serves.

I think one maintains refuge before bodhisattva vows, the other is makes no difference.
Which is which?

Danny

Post by Danny »

Hazel wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:15 pm
Danny wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:00 pm I think HHDL confers the Athisa stream of bodhisattva vows, there’s an Asanga one also..

If memory serves.

Which is which?
Atisha I believe is,
can take bodhisattva vows before “formal” refuge,
Asanga makes the case that formal refuge comes before bodhisattva.

Is polemic.
Nothing important at all.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”