Mani stones and bodies of water

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Empty Cloud

Mani stones and bodies of water

Post by Empty Cloud »

Dear all,
Is it generally ok to drop mani stones into bodies of water like lakes, rivers, streams, coastal areas etc?
Virgo

Re: Mani stones and bodies of water

Post by Virgo »

yes :thumbsup:
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Absolutely. As much as possible everywhere you can. If you can learn how to empower these, that'd be even better.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:00 pm Absolutely. As much as possible everywhere you can. If you can learn how to empower these, that'd be even better.
What do you mean by empower them?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Danny

Post by Danny »

Mani stones....
🤔

Beads on a string.

Rare stuff.

Magical
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Hazel,

Maybe I should've said bless or consecrate them, not empower them. In some terma, there are lay-jor (activity practices) specifically for blessing mani stones. For instance, in Orgyen Kusum Lingpa's Amoghapasha terma cycle, there is just such a lay-jor. To do this, one first has to complete the approach and accomplishment of the basic sadhana. Then one has the power to bless the mani stones, for which there is its own short puja.

For sure, just the mantra itself has great, great blessing power. But when it is further blessed through skillful means revealed by Guru Rinpoche, that effect is multiplied many times over.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm Hazel,

Maybe I should've said bless or consecrate them, not empower them. In some terma, there are lay-jor (activity practices) specifically for blessing mani stones. For instance, in Orgyen Kusum Lingpa's Amoghapasha terma cycle, there is just such a lay-jor. To do this, one first has to complete the approach and accomplishment of the basic sadhana. Then one has the power to bless the mani stones, for which there is its own short puja.

For sure, just the mantra itself has great, great blessing power. But when it is further blessed through skillful means revealed by Guru Rinpoche, that effect is multiplied many times over.
Thank you :-).
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Empty Cloud

Post by Empty Cloud »

Hi, I still have one doubt. Is it advisable or not advisable to do this (dropping Mani stones into bodies of water) during Naga days?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I am actually now learning how to carve out mantras into wood. I plan to put these pieces of wood into streams, ponds, and even paint some of them so people can see them when I put them on top of a hill or such.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Empty Cloud wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:30 am Hi, I still have one doubt. Is it advisable or not advisable to do this (dropping Mani stones into bodies of water) during Naga days?
I think it should be okay. You are not polluting the place. Think of it as giving them a nice gift into their living rooms.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Budai

Post by Budai »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:11 am I am actually now learning how to carve out mantras into wood. I plan to put these pieces of wood into streams, ponds, and even paint some of them so people can see them when I put them on top of a hill or such.
This sounds like a very fun and beneficial thing to do. I hope to take on such a practice one day, it seems like a very kind thing to do for others Dharmically, and brings me back to earlier times in my life where I would interact with nature and the outdoors more often. I would Love to incorporate Buddhism into helping the living beings as well as people who visit nature. I hope you have a great time. Namaste.

Om Mani Padme Hum.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

It sounds like the same idea as a prayer flag. In this case water rather than air moves over the mantras to carry the benefits into the environment.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”