Does a Vegan Damaru exist anywhere?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
peterscott87

Does a Vegan Damaru exist anywhere?

Post by peterscott87 »

Looking for a damaru without leather. My teacher told me no such thing exists, and I've searched everywhere with no luck, but I have hope that maybe someone has more extensive knowledge than me.
Giovanni

Re: Does a Vegan Damaru exist anywhere?

Post by Giovanni »

I think you are making a basic misunderstanding of the practice here.
Perhaps your teacher could explain the doctrine why you will not find one.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

peterscott87 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 pm Looking for a damaru without leather. My teacher told me no such thing exists, and I've searched everywhere with no luck, but I have hope that maybe someone has more extensive knowledge than me.
Doesn’t exist. Vajrayana and Veganism are mutually exclusive.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 am
peterscott87 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:29 pm Looking for a damaru without leather. My teacher told me no such thing exists, and I've searched everywhere with no luck, but I have hope that maybe someone has more extensive knowledge than me.
How so? I'm not vegan, but am curious.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hazel wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:48 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:21 am
How so? I'm not vegan, but am curious.
One cannot, ultimately, have notions about food purity or the lack thereof. Most people are incapable of this, for this reason such transcendence of limitations is expressed in symbols.
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Part of the respect for the practice and lineage is to practice the method on its own terms and not to project ones own values of how one thinks it should be upon the tradition. There is a reason why the materials are made the way they are, rest assured, the animal whose leather gets used for a Damaru is being benefitted far more than one just made for a random persons shoes.

Just my 2 cents
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
Giovanni

Post by Giovanni »

Sonam Wangchug wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 am Part of the respect for the practice and lineage is to practice the method on its own terms and not to project ones own values of how one thinks it should be upon the tradition. There is a reason why the materials are made the way they are, rest assured, the animal whose leather gets used for a Damaru is being benefitted far more than one just made for a random persons shoes.

Just my 2 cents
:good:
The practices in the Vajra way have persisted for hundreds of years because they were revealed by great Siddhis. The Vajrayana does not need our novel western sensibilities to “improve” it. The old guys know what they are doing🙂
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

As Ananda states:
As The Great Tantra of the Primordial Buddha
emphatically forbids it,
those observing celibacy should never
receive the secret and wisdom empowerments.

If those practicing celibacy and asceticism
were to receive those empowerments,
they would be obliged to practice what is forbidden,
and their vows of austerity would thus deteriorate.

This creates a downfall which would
defeat those practicing yogic discipline.
As they would be certain to fall into the lower realms,
they would never gain accomplishment.
-The Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/indian-mas ... ightenment

Though this is talking about celibacy, I'm sure the same applies to meat.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

Tenma wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:34 pm As Ananda states:
As The Great Tantra of the Primordial Buddha
emphatically forbids it,
those observing celibacy should never
receive the secret and wisdom empowerments.

If those practicing celibacy and asceticism
were to receive those empowerments,
they would be obliged to practice what is forbidden,
and their vows of austerity would thus deteriorate.

This creates a downfall which would
defeat those practicing yogic discipline.
As they would be certain to fall into the lower realms,
they would never gain accomplishment.
-The Lamp for the Path to Enlightenment
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/indian-mas ... ightenment

Though this is talking about celibacy, I'm sure the same applies to meat.
Why? The Mulasarvastivadin Vinaya does not forbid the eating of meat to monks and nuns nor the use of leather.
(and why do you start with "As Ananda states:" and proceed to quote from Atisha's Lamp for the Path?)
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

I appreciate the point of our cultural ideas about the projected inherent purify of things being a problem.

One of my teachers addresses this directly. To get over ourselves. Eat whatever you want, but tsok is tsok. Eat the samaya substances without attachment and aversion.

At the same time, I can see a "vegan" damaru for simple pragmatic reasons. When I visit my partner overseas, her country is super vigilant about animal products coming in because of ecotastrophy. Can't bring in any food. Even airport/airplane food. I was lucky to bring in a couple chocolate bars for her.

Part of that is that they won't let in cultural leather products. Drums are big on the list.

So it's really not an impure vision thing. I've going to practice there it can't be a bone kangling or a leathered damaru. It's not an improvement thing. A judgement thing. A dualistic and moralistic thing. Hides aren't coming in.

I guess one argument is that a hide on a damaru has special properties. I guess I'm not convinced that people in this country of some 30M people can't now pratice Vajrayana because they can't import good damarus from India or Nepal. I guess they could buy them skinless and hide them themselves.

I guess I'm not convinced that people couldn't bring a "vegan" drum into that country and do good practice.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cinnabar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:32 pm I guess I'm not convinced that people couldn't bring a "vegan" drum into that country and do good practice.
that's not the point.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:57 pm that's not the point.
I'm not sure what the original poster's point is.

He says he wan'ts a "vegan" damaru. It's his first post and he hasn't followed up.

I didn't take him as professing "veganism" or any particular position. I can't really from his post. I took him as just looking for a damaru without a leather skin.

Why? He doesn't say.

Could be a spiritual or philosophical confession. Such-- as he's a "vegan".

Could be a practical reason. Which is all I pointed out. There are pragmatic reasons completely divorced from moral evaluations of a piece of leather glued to a hollowed out bit of wood.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cinnabar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:12 pm
He says he wan'ts a "vegan" damaru. It's his first post and he hasn't followed up.

No such thing.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

So, as I'm taking "vegan damaru" to mean a damaru without a leather skin, not some confession about veganism...

... are you saying I really couldn't use such a beast in my practice?

It's not an abstract question for me, as there is a good chance I'll be moving to live with my darling where skins and turtle shells can't be imported.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cinnabar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:45 pm So, as I'm taking "vegan damaru" to mean a damaru without a leather skin...

People can do whatever they want and they do. But there is no such a thing as a vegan damaru. Real damarus are made with skulls and skin.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:48 pm
Cinnabar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:45 pm So, as I'm taking "vegan damaru" to mean a damaru without a leather skin...

People can do whatever they want and they do. But there is no such a thing as a vegan damaru. Damarus are made with skulls and skin.
I am aware they are made of skulls and skin.

But my question stands. If I move to where my partner is, and can not import animal products, does that mean I can't practice vajrayana with a damaru with a nonleather skin?
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

People can do whatever they want and they do. But there is no such a thing as a vegan damaru. Real damarus are made with skulls and skin.
They can be made from wood instead of skull.
Why would it be acceptable to use wood but not fiberskyn?
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

It is a lot better to understand the meaning of the teachings and why they are the way they are, and practicing according to them, instead of trying to make the teachings conform to you and your mental concepts, and how you feel they should be, instead of how they actually are.

As for regional or national laws, well laws are laws, you either respect them or you don't. And if you don't, you may have to face the consequences of your actions if you're caught breaking the laws. Which means, if it's illegal to bring in leather or bone or whatever in a country, then you must consider if you're willing to break the law or not. Here it is external conditions that may be a hindrance or obstacle, but not you and your own decisions based on like and dislike, good and bad, nice and ugly, pure and impure, and so on.

In other words, if you actually cannot get a damaru due to the laws, then it's best to not get in trouble and create problems. Work with circumstances.

But, if you are in a position where you are supposed to have a damaru, and you can get a damaru, but you choose not to because you want a "vegan damaru" instead, then this is solely on you and your own decision, and instead of trying to be free of judgement, dualistic vision, limitations, and so on, you are reinforcing all of these things, bringing in mental concepts, instead of going with the teachings themselves. And this is not good.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

It is perfectly possible to visualise wood and plastic drums as skull and skin.
Buddhism is not an exercise in ossification (pun), but adapts to the circumstances in which it exists and in which it seeks to thrive.
These ritual items are not linked to killing or sacrifice, however, so I see no reason why a vegan would be perturbed. Unless they plan to eat their damaru, maybe?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Cinnabar wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 pm

People can do whatever they want and they do. But there is no such a thing as a vegan damaru. Damarus are made with skulls and skin.
I am aware they are made of skulls and skin.

But my question stands. If I move to where my partner is, and can not import animal products, does that mean I can't practice vajrayana with a damaru with a nonleather skin?
I answered your question already.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”