Iconography Question

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ThreeVows

Iconography Question

Post by ThreeVows »

The image below is allegedly a practice support that Mipham Rinpoche made himself. I noticed it only has two necklaces that I can see rather than the 3 normal ones I’m accustomed to, the short and two long ones.

Is there a particular reason for this? I’ve seen a statue that is essentially identical to the picture also.

Thanks.
AB454BAB-6AED-4B2E-A9F2-7D86E22E8B47.jpeg
AB454BAB-6AED-4B2E-A9F2-7D86E22E8B47.jpeg (111.41 KiB) Viewed 417 times
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
lelopa

Re: Iconography Question

Post by lelopa »

in sadhanas (f.e. Chenrezig) there is a explicit explaination of the symbol of the 2 necklaces! In old thangkas you see 2 of them at nearly every deity.
3 necklaces are mentioned in Bon, but you cannot find the three in every old thangka
Lost In Transmission
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

lelopa wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 am in sadhanas (f.e. Chenrezig) there is a explicit explaination of the symbol of the 2 necklaces! In old thangkas you see 2 of them at nearly every deity.
3 necklaces are mentioned in Bon, but you cannot find the three in every old thangka
Interesting, in every explanation I’ve seen that I can recall it’s always the short necklace and the two longer ones.

Can you share anything about the explanation of the two? Thanks.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Seeker12 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:09 pm
lelopa wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:20 am in sadhanas (f.e. Chenrezig) there is a explicit explaination of the symbol of the 2 necklaces! In old thangkas you see 2 of them at nearly every deity.
Interesting, in every explanation I’ve seen that I can recall it’s always the short necklace and the two longer ones.

Can you share anything about the explanation of the two? Thanks.

I only remember the 2 malas are mentioned in a chenrezig practice commentary from the 1st Kalu Rinpoche.
Lost In Transmission

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”