Vajra Guru mantra practice as a newbie

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
megaman chiquito

Vajra Guru mantra practice as a newbie

Post by megaman chiquito »

I want to start chanting the guru rinpoche mantra, since I finally accept Dharma as true.i researched science a lot and came to this conclusion.
Anyways;do i need a guru/monastic empowerment to chant?
can i still get all the benefits and blessings just chanting in my own home to the best of my ability?

I am very inspired by the story of duntrop, the blind beggar who become enlightened(?)because he chanted this mantra so much. I am used to prayer recitation so i think i can recite a proper quantity of this mantra if posssible.
Soma999

Re: Vajra Guru mantra practice as a newbie

Post by Soma999 »

I recited vajra guru mantra and 7 line prayer without lung, wang... and it was great.

Well, when i say i didn’t received lung, that does not mean there is no transmission as by doing this practice with an intention of reliance, you can connect, in consciousness, with beings you vibrate with.

After lung, wang... it is still great.

But to answer your question, i think you can recite it.

You don’t have to be afraid. Guru Rinpoche, in essence, is your own mind. You do not worship anything external to you, even thought he may appears in the outside world. But in essence he is in you.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

If it is a mantra it needs a lung, from a traditionalist point of view.
Dharanis from sutric material is another beast.
All Vajrayana methods for the standard human type are based on transmission from a living lineage.

That being said, it would be extremely easy to get the lung for the vajra guru mantra.
Brunelleschi

Post by Brunelleschi »

megaman chiquito wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:32 pm I want to start chanting the guru rinpoche mantra, since I finally accept Dharma as true.i researched science a lot and came to this conclusion.
can i still get all the benefits and blessings just chanting in my own home to the best of my ability?

I am very inspired by the story of duntrop, the blind beggar who become enlightened(?)because he chanted this mantra so much. I am used to prayer recitation so i think i can recite a proper quantity of this mantra if posssible.
You can chant the regular mantra and for example do the seven line prayer to Guru Rinpoche without empowerment as far as I know. I you want to do "diety vizualisation" with Guru Rinpoche you would need an empowerment.

Seven Line Prayer: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/topics/seven-line-prayer/

Nice chanting of the same prayer by HH Karmpa:
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

bryandavis wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:49 pm That being said, it would be extremely easy to get the lung for the vajra guru mantra.
Correct! It seems very common. Not to say that it is not precious - it is still incredibly precious and still rare, considering how few humans actually have causes and conditions come together to receive it

For example HH Sakya Trizin transmitted this mantra at least a couple times recently. And if you can get in touch with any monks or teachers I bet they would be happy to transmit it

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Natan

Post by Natan »

megaman chiquito wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:32 pm I want to start chanting the guru rinpoche mantra, since I finally accept Dharma as true.i researched science a lot and came to this conclusion.

It's fine. You can do it.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Yes, it's fine. You need formal transmission to do full-blown sadhana, but GR mantra and 7 lines are OK without - formal transmission can come in time.
The same applies to Tara's mantra and the Mani. Along with one or two others they are "officially" OK even without empowerment.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Lingpupa wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:51 am Yes, it's fine. You need formal transmission to do full-blown sadhana, but GR mantra and 7 lines are OK without - formal transmission can come in time.
The same applies to Tara's mantra and the Mani. Along with one or two others they are "officially" OK even without empowerment.
One or two others - probably Manjushri, Medicine Buddha, Shakyamuni Buddha mantra? Prajana paramita mantra

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

karmanyingpo wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:17 am Manjushri, Medicine Buddha, Shakyamuni Buddha mantra? Prajana paramita mantra

KN
also fine

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”