Poll - ngondro accumulations in sequence? (finish one 100,000 then do next?)

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.

How does your teacher have you accumulate ngondro?

In sequence required
61%
All at once required
No votes
In sequence recommended
6%
All at once recommended
No votes
Flexible
28%
Other (please explain)
6%

Total votes: 18

Malcolm

Re: Poll - ngondro accumulations in sequence? (finish one 100,000 then do next?)

Post by Malcolm »

heart wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:13 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:55 pm
heart wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:55 pm
In sequence is the normal, in the Nyingma you always do the whole text every time you accumulate but just a few recitations of the sections that you don't accumulate.
No, this really is not the case, and I can provide many counterfactual examples.
Well, this is how I was taught, more than once I might add. Anyway, doing one thing at the time is something I also seen.
There is no one size that fits all.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Poll - ngondro accumulations in sequence? (finish one 100,000 then do next?)

Post by Ayu »

In sequences was most natural for me. But I voted "flexible", because my teacher won't interfere with requirements into my day-to-day life.
But I know a dharma sister, he recomended to her to do 3 practices daily, because she had back problems. She couldn't start with prostrations, otherwise she never would reach other practices. He recommended to her to do few prostrations, some mandalas and very much Vajtasattva.
So, I don't think there's a one-for-all-rule. It has to depend on the condition of the different people.
heart

Post by heart »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:55 pm

No, this really is not the case, and I can provide many counterfactual examples.
Well, this is how I was taught, more than once I might add. Anyway, doing one thing at the time is something I also seen.
Would be weird if there was. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

heart wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:09 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:57 pm

Would be weird if there was. :smile:

/magnus
I have a llama hat (chullo hat) that is suppose to be one size fits all but my noggin is just too fricking big for it. :D So that is proof of the truth of this

:rolling:

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Karmanyingpo,

I also could've done prostrations with Guru yoga, reciting the seven-limbed offering, but I was impatient to get started and my Teacher had not yet gotten to the Guru yoga section of Kunzang Lamai Sheylung. So He let me start by saying the simple refuge prayer: Namo Lamala Kyabsu Chiwo, etc.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:50 pm Karmanyingpo,

I also could've done prostrations with Guru yoga, reciting the seven-limbed offering, but I was impatient to get started and my Teacher had not yet gotten to the Guru yoga section of Kunzang Lamai Sheylung. So He let me start by saying the simple refuge prayer: Namo Lamala Kyabsu Chiwo, etc.
Ah is it typical to do prostrations with both refuge and Guru yoga?

I get to do ngondro in English incl refuge prayer (but we keep 7 Line in Tibetan). I feel fortunate because for me it helps me connect with the meaning better. With practice i am sure I could do the same with Tibetan recitation but I am impatient...

KN
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

Drikung retreat setting for me was:
1st ngondro in sequence one at a time, with accumulation.
2nd ngondro what ever order I wanted.

Drikung also has what they call a 5th special ngondro of bodhicitta. 100k more prostrations in that also.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

bryandavis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:01 am Drikung retreat setting for me was:
1st ngondro in sequence one at a time, with accumulation.
2nd ngondro what ever order I wanted.

Drikung also has what they call a 5th special ngondro of bodhicitta. 100k more prostrations in that also.
Very nice thank you

Was 1st ngondro and 2nd ngondro the same Drikung sadhana? Or were they different?

KN
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

I did same ngondro twice.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

bryandavis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:47 am I did same ngondro twice.
Wow, very happy for you! Congratulations on that. I hope many more of us will do the same, even if it's one time

KN
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 am
bryandavis wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:47 am I did same ngondro twice.
Wow, very happy for you! Congratulations on that. I hope many more of us will do the same, even if it's one time

KN
May we all practice what benefits awakening. Thank you. I had time to do so and my citcumstaces allowed it. For me it was usefull.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”