Kshitigarbha practice in Tibetan Buddhism?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
The Mantra Mongoose

Kshitigarbha practice in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by The Mantra Mongoose »

Hello all,

I wanted to ask how prevalent is devotion or practices related to Bodisattva Kshitigarbha in Tibetan Buddhism? It seems that in East Asian Buddhism there’s a lot of emphasis on him were in Tibetan Buddhism he’s rarely talked about. I’ve seen that there are sadhanas on him like the one Lama Zopa has at his foundation, but outside of that I haven’t found much. Even on the forum searching past posts outside of East Asian Buddhism he’s not really discussed. Does anyone know why devotion to him gained large popularity in some schools but not others? It interesting to me because among the 8 great Bodisattvas he seems to be the only one that is both super prevalent or not talked about at all given the school. Though I guess all of the above could be said of Sarvanivaranavishkambhin and Akashagarbha, but these two Bodisattvas are almost never talked about were Kshitigarbha is just in certain schools.

I’m interested in the History of his practice and how it relates across different Buddhist traditions especially Tibetan Buddhism so any help would be greatly appreciated.
jmlee369

Re: Kshitigarbha practice in Tibetan Buddhism?

Post by jmlee369 »

The Mantra Mongoose wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:47 am Hello all,

I wanted to ask how prevalent is devotion or practices related to Bodisattva Kshitigarbha in Tibetan Buddhism? It seems that in East Asian Buddhism there’s a lot of emphasis on him were in Tibetan Buddhism he’s rarely talked about. I’ve seen that there are sadhanas on him like the one Lama Zopa has at his foundation, but outside of that I haven’t found much. Even on the forum searching past posts outside of East Asian Buddhism he’s not really discussed. Does anyone know why devotion to him gained large popularity in some schools but not others? It interesting to me because among the 8 great Bodisattvas he seems to be the only one that is both super prevalent or not talked about at all given the school. Though I guess all of the above could be said of Sarvanivaranavishkambhin and Akashagarbha, but these two Bodisattvas are almost never talked about were Kshitigarbha is just in certain schools.

I’m interested in the History of his practice and how it relates across different Buddhist traditions especially Tibetan Buddhism so any help would be greatly appreciated.
One of the reasons for the big disparity is that the key sutra for the popularisation of Ksitigarbha bodhisattva in East Asia, the Fundamental Vows Sutra is unknown in Tibet (and is most likely a Chinese creation according to scholars). The narrative of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva as the saviour of hell beings comes from the Fundamental Vows Sutra, and this was important to East Asian traditions concerned with the wellbeing of the deceased and ancestors.

Despite this, the recitation of the Ten Wheels Ksitigarbha Sutra is a common recommendation in Tibet, and it is cited as a scriptural authority in the works of lamas. This sutra is also the source of Ksitigarbha bodhisattva's imagery as a sravaka in East Asia and the dharani (popularised by Zopa Rinpoche in the West, but has been well known and commonly recited in Korea for a long time).
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Lama teaching on Ksitigarbha March 27:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-teaching ... 5803525269?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
The Mantra Mongoose

jmlee369 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:51 am
The Mantra Mongoose wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:47 am Hello all,

One of the reasons for the big disparity is that the key sutra for the popularisation of Ksitigarbha bodhisattva in East Asia, the Fundamental Vows Sutra is unknown in Tibet (and is most likely a Chinese creation according to scholars). The narrative of Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva as the saviour of hell beings comes from the Fundamental Vows Sutra, and this was important to East Asian traditions concerned with the wellbeing of the deceased and ancestors.

Despite this, the recitation of the Ten Wheels Ksitigarbha Sutra is a common recommendation in Tibet, and it is cited as a scriptural authority in the works of lamas. This sutra is also the source of Ksitigarbha bodhisattva's imagery as a sravaka in East Asia and the dharani (popularised by Zopa Rinpoche in the West, but has been well known and commonly recited in Korea for a long time).
Hey Jimlee369,

That’s an interesting bit of history and exactly what I was looking for. I’ve always liked Kshitigarbha precisely because I always heard he made vows to help beings in the Hell realms, I guess he reminded me of St. Jude( Patron of lost causes) in a way from my Catholic upbringing. If the sutra were all of this is taught is generally not accepted at least canonically in Tibetan Buddhism were does the imagery of Him in Sambogakaya form and yellow come from? What is his role strictly from a Tibetan Buddhist perspective leaving aside that other schools of thought? Is he manly supposed to help with enrichment given his yellow color and I’m guessing affiliation with the Ratna Family? Thanks again for your reply.
The Mantra Mongoose

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:07 pm Lama teaching on Ksitigarbha March 27:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-teaching ... 5803525269?
Sounds interesting. Thanks!
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

This is a very weak response to your actual question(s), but nonetheless in case it's of interest.

https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... bha-praise
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

For what it's worth, Mipham Rinpoche compiled stories of the eight great bodhisattvas into a book titled in English: Garland of Jewels: The Eight Great Bodhisattvas.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:12 pm For what it's worth, Mipham Rinpoche compiled stories of the eight great bodhisattvas into a book titled in English: Garland of Jewels: The Eight Great Bodhisattvas.
Let’s all enjoy it free in ebook form 🤩 https://dharmaebooks.org/garland-jewels/
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

Just a few pointers that may or may not address your question.

1. In the East, Ksitigarbha is lately propagated as easy to connect to for degenerate age beings as it is stated in the vow sutra that Buddha entrusted this responsibility of saving degenerate beings from gross sufferings. Tibetan buddhism may not agree with this.

2. One of the 4 main monlams in Sethar Larung Gar is Ksitigarbha monlam according to what I read in chinese source. From what I read in chinese source, Mipham Rinpoche's popular "Summoning the Spirit of Abundance ,The Hook of Divine Substance" is a Ksitigarbha practice.
The Mantra Mongoose

Thanks for all the responses everyone. This have given me a good amount to think through.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”