What are the most popular Tibetan Buddhist sutras?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Padmist

What are the most popular Tibetan Buddhist sutras?

Post by Padmist »

Heart?
Diamond?
Vimalakiri?

What would be the top 5
Hazel

Re: What are the most popular Tibetan Buddhist sutras?

Post by Hazel »

I'm not sure. Why do you ask?
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Padmist wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:19 am Heart?
Diamond?
Vimalakiri?

What would be the top 5
In terms of popular recitation, ones I often see come up are Heart Sutra, 8000 verse Prajnaparamita, Ten Wheels Ksitigarbha, Tashi Tsegpa (Noble Stack of Auspiciousness), Chogchu Munsel (Completely Dispelling the Darkness of the Ten Directions), King of Prayers (Samantabhadracaryapranidhana), the 35 Buddha confession (excerpted from the Ratnakuta Sutra collection if I remember correctly), etc. Most commonly recited sutras are recited for ritual purposes rather than doctrinal importance.
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

Thanks Jmlee. I appreciate it. :namaste:
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

jmlee369 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:46 am
Diamond?
Vimalakiri?

What would be the top 5
In terms of popular recitation, ones I often see come up are Heart Sutra, 8000 verse Prajnaparamita, Ten Wheels Ksitigarbha, Tashi Tsegpa (Noble Stack of Auspiciousness), Chogchu Munsel (Completely Dispelling the Darkness of the Ten Directions), King of Prayers (Samantabhadracaryapranidhana), the 35 Buddha confession (excerpted from the Ratnakuta Sutra collection if I remember correctly), etc. Most commonly recited sutras are recited for ritual purposes rather than doctrinal importance.
I would say though that at least in the case of the Prajnaparamita it is doctrinal too since these sutras accord with the Madhyamika view.

KN
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Karma Kagyu uses “The Uttaratantra” a lot.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am Karma Kagyu uses “The Uttaratantra” a lot.
True indeed, but it's a shastra, not a sutra. I.e. a commentary drawing on sutras.
All the best
Alex Wilding
Stupa in the Snow blog at http://chagchen.org/
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:35 am
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:58 am Karma Kagyu uses “The Uttaratantra” a lot.
True indeed, but it's a shastra, not a sutra. I.e. a commentary drawing on sutras.
:good:
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

The Heart Sutra, the Three Heap Sutra, Samantabhadra's Aspiration to Noble Deeds and Rememberance of the Triple Gem are the most commonly encountered sutras. At least one Amitabha practice is a condensation of one of the three Amitabha sutras.

Then many TB exposition texts are peppered with sutra references.

KIrt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Diamond?
Vimalakiri?

What would be the top 5
The most important sutras in Tibetan Buddhism are the Perfection of Wisdom Sutras, specifically those in 25,000 lines and 8,000 lines. This is evident from the fact that in India and Tibet more commentaries have been written on these two sutras than any other sutras.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
TMT

Post by TMT »

Kyabje Lama Zopa Rinpoche really encourages reciting the Golden Light Sutra and the Arya Sanghata Sutra for their extensive benefits. He gives them as lifetime practices which you can find examples of if you search his online advice book. Also I think hes giving some teachings on the Sutra of Great Liberation, which you can find on FPMT's youtube channel. Appearently this one is pretty popular in Tibet, for people when they are dying.
Last edited by TMT on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

OP, IMO, the answer to your question depends on who you are talking about -- scholars (Khenpos, Geshes, Acharyas, etc.) or practitioners. Also IMO, you've received really good answers from members of each of these groups.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

:good:

I would maybe add, that some are great for studying, some for their "benefits". It kinda depends on you with which you will feel a "connection" or enjoy the most and it is always a good idea to recite the sutras out loud. It definitely generates a lot of merit. Plus can be offered to all the visible/invisible beings around us.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”