The Orgyen Nyendrup lineage

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
FiveSkandhas

The Orgyen Nyendrup lineage

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Orgyen Nyendrup is one of the "eight lineages of accomplishment" but I can find almost no detailed information about it.

Although the Rime master Jamgön Kongtrul preserved information on all eight lineages in the Treasury of Precious Instructions, the volume on Orgyen Nyendrup has not yet been translated into English. The internet seems to have very little specific information on the nature or practices of the lineage, other than listing it among the eight.

It also appears to have gone extinct in medieval times with a broken lineage. Perhaps the only place information is to be found is in Jamgön Kongtrul's writings.

Does anyone have any information on this seemingly "lost lineage"?
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Malcolm

Re: The Orgyen Nyendrup lineage

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:16 pm Orgyen Nyendrup is one of the "eight lineages of accomplishment" but I can find almost no detailed information about it.

Although the Rime master Jamgön Kongtrul preserved information on all eight lineages in the Treasury of Precious Instructions, the volume on Orgyen Nyendrup has not yet been translated into English. The internet seems to have very little specific information on the nature or practices of the lineage, other than listing it among the eight.

It also appears to have gone extinct in medieval times with a broken lineage. Perhaps the only place information is to be found is in Jamgön Kongtrul's writings.

Does anyone have any information on this seemingly "lost lineage"?
It is not lost or broken at all. It concerns the practice of Kalacakra. As one of the translators on this project (volume 5 and 6), I can assure you it will be translated and is forthcoming.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Thank you for your reply Malcolm. Thank you also for your hard work translating this monumental text.

So it is still a living lineage? Perhaps I am doing something wrong but I can find no information to that effect on the Internet.

Are you aware of any links, etc. that would provide a brief overview suitable for a non-initiate?
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:09 pm Thank you for your reply Malcolm. Thank you also for your hard work translating this monumental text.

So it is still a living lineage? Perhaps I am doing something wrong but I can find no information to that effect on the Internet.

Are you aware of any links, etc. that would provide a brief overview suitable for a non-initiate?
Not translating that text specifically, I am working on the Sakyapa material.

Yes, it is a living lineage, but it is not an independent lineage, like Chod, Zhije, or Kadampa.

Orgyenpa was the 3rd Karmapa's guru, and this teaching is mainly found in the Karma Kagyu school.

There is a synopsis of Orgyen Nyendrup here:

FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Thanks again!

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Danny

Post by Danny »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:31 pm
FiveSkandhas wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:09 pm Thank you for your reply Malcolm. Thank you also for your hard work translating this monumental text.

Not translating that text specifically, I am working on the Sakyapa material.

Yes, it is a living lineage, but it is not an independent lineage, like Chod, Zhije, or Kadampa.

Orgyenpa was the 3rd Karmapa's guru, and this teaching is mainly found in the Karma Kagyu school.

There is a synopsis of Orgyen Nyendrup here:

Daft question, karma kagyu or Shangpa kagyu?
In terms of kalachakra.
Edit...

The earliest I can find of a gentleman by the name of Lapchiwa Namkha Gyaltsen that has Sakya and karma Kaguu lineages etc, that would include hevajra, chakrasamvara and Guhyasamāja, the kalachakra would be from the Jonangpas no?

Sorry it’s a little murky for me the kalachakra streams that enter into lineages.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Don’t matter..scrub that.

I don’t think this will reconcile an answer.
It might fuel a logistical sectarian lineage feud.
At the End of the day, kalachakra is kalachakra no matter it’s decent into the Saha world system called “endurance”.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”