84 mahasiddhas book (Lopez or Dowman)

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
climb-up

84 mahasiddhas book (Lopez or Dowman)

Post by climb-up »

Has anyone read, or at least seen, both Keith Dowman’s book “Masters of Mahamudra” and Donald Lopez’s “Seeing the Sacred in Samsara”.

They both feature biographies of all 84 mahasiddha, I believe (is that right?). Is either one particularly better or worse?

Thank you 🙏
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Malcolm

Re: 84 mahasiddhas book (Lopez or Dowman)

Post by Malcolm »

climb-up wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 am Has anyone read, or at least seen, both Keith Dowman’s book “Masters of Mahamudra” and Donald Lopez’s “Seeing the Sacred in Samsara”.

They both feature biographies of all 84 mahasiddha, I believe (is that right?). Is either one particularly better or worse?

Thank you 🙏
Lopez is the better translator.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

climb-up wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:49 am Has anyone read, or at least seen, both Keith Dowman’s book “Masters of Mahamudra” and Donald Lopez’s “Seeing the Sacred in Samsara”.

Thank you 🙏
Lopez’s translation is an improvement.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:45 am

Thank you 🙏
Awesome, thank you.

"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

climb-up wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:48 am
Malcolm wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:45 am

Thank you 🙏

Awesome, thank you.
Heruka85

Post by Heruka85 »

Lopez's is not actually a translation of Abhaydatta's work but an illustrated guide to the Mahasiddhas with just a brief description of each of the 84. I would recommend Buddha's Lions by James Robinson if you want a translation of the Abhayadatta text, maybe with the Lopez because the art is a really good supplement. I can't say anything about the quality of Robinson's translation abilities but it is the most academically respected at least.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Heruka85 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:59 am Lopez's is not actually a translation of Abhaydatta's work but an illustrated guide to the Mahasiddhas with just a brief description of each of the 84. I would recommend Buddha's Lions by James Robinson if you want a translation of the Abhayadatta text, maybe with the Lopez because the art is a really good supplement. I can't say anything about the quality of Robinson's translation abilities but it is the most academically respected at least.
Robinsons is also fine.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

There is also Elio Guarisco’s translation.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”