variations of 100 syllable mantra and meaning?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Alastair

variations of 100 syllable mantra and meaning?

Post by Alastair »

Hey :)

I'm a bit confused. As a child I learned the 100 syllable mantra by heart, not how to write it, only how to say it. when I google it now, there are so many different versions of it an none that is exactly like the one I learned. Why? Is mine wrong?

I say it like this:
[Unfortunately publishing this mantra is not appropriate at DW.]
also, can someone recommend me a good translation or explanation what it means?
Someone (a buddhist) told me the [XXX] part is in fact meant as laughing is that true? My athiest boyfriend is always very amused about that part when he hears me saying it :D

thank you!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: variations of 100 syllable mantra and meaning?

Post by Ayu »

I know at least four different variations in my (one single) tradition. They differ throughout the various sadhanas and especially different teachers. It seems to me like that strongly.
I stick to different variations dependent on which diety/sadhana I am performing.

Don't be confused. There is no single right form.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

If you need to mention the mantra or parts of it, please take refuge in PM.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

What Ayu said.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
White Sakura

Post by White Sakura »

Here is said, that only the ... symbolizes laughter:

https://www.bodhicittasangha.org
Danny

Post by Danny »

White Sakura wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:13 pm Here is said, that only the ... symbolizes laughter:

https://www.bodhicittasangha.org
Nope.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

thanks everybody! :)

why is the vajrasattva mantra top secret? It's all over the internet!
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Alastair wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:35 am thanks everybody! :)

It is something that comes from the tantras, not the sutras. It cannot be practiced without some sort of transmission or empowerment. There are many mantras and images “all over the internet” that are really supposed to be secret.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yes.
I think, it is a form of respect towards the teacher-student-relationship that we do not publish secret tantra materials at DW. If anybody talks about it freely elsewhere on the internet, it's their decision.

And I think, it's a big difference, if a lama publishes certain mantras on his website or random people on the internet chat about mantras. The former takes the responsibility and knows what he's talking about exactly. The latter can lead to total confusion in worst case.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Ayu wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:55 pm Yes.
I think, it is a form of respect towards the teacher-student-relationship that we do not publish secret tantra materials at DW. If anybody talks about it freely elsewhere on the internet, it's their decision.

And I think, it's a big difference, if a lama publishes certain mantras on his website or random people on the internet chat about mantras. The former takes the responsibility and knows what he's talking about exactly. The latter can lead to total confusion in worst case.
I think I understand partly....
but maybe deleting some parts of questions & answers, etc., or do not answering at all could also lead to confusion,
or let the confusion being unresolved... :shrug:
Lost In Transmission
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

lelopa wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:54 am
Ayu wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:55 pm Yes.

I think I understand partly....
but maybe deleting some parts of questions & answers, etc., or do not answering at all could also lead to confusion,
or let the confusion being unresolved... :shrug:
My point was not to recommend never asking but not discussing certain topics on the internet.
I deleted nothing else than the mantra, because it is again and again being critisized harshly to publish it here.

I would apprechiate, if those people who stand for this rule rigorously would come up and explain their view as well.
:anjali:
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Alastair wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:56 pm I'm a bit confused. As a child I learned the 100 syllable mantra by heart, not how to write it, only how to say it. when I google it now, there are so many different versions of it an none that is exactly like the one I learned. Why? Is mine wrong?
There are variations between traditions and as Ayu noted even between teachers sometimes. However there is a common recitation (that nonetheless can differ between traditions mostly at the end). Normally this version is found in ngondro.

However, the Vajrasattva mantra structure is repeated in different tantras for different deities for purification. These are the Five Dhayani Buddhas (so there is a Vajrasattva structured purification mantra for each of the Five Dhyani Buddhas) but this also exists for some of the "heavy power" yidams. I don't know if this exists for all the yidams though. And it's possible that this is also a lineage thing.
Alastair wrote: also, can someone recommend me a good translation or explanation what it means?
Interestingly I asked one of my lamas this question once. To my surprise and the evident shock of everyone else in the room (several monastics), he began going through the mantra and explained all of it. So ask your lama. In the Nyingma tradition there is at least one text that does the same and I had seen that text (which is why I asked my lama [from another tradition]).
Alastair wrote: Someone (a buddhist) told me the [XXX] part is in fact meant as laughing is that true? My athiest boyfriend is always very amused about that part when he hears me saying it :D
:rolling:
The short answer is yes. But imagine what that means. This is after all the Buddha of Purification. We could use terms like "emptiness roar", etc.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Last edited by lelopa on Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost In Transmission
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

lelopa wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 am
Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 am ................

I would apprechiate, if those people who stand for this rule rigorously would come up and explain their view as well.
Me too
Lost In Transmission
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Alastair wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:56 pm I'm a bit confused. As a child I learned the 100 syllable mantra by heart, not how to write it, only how to say it. when I google it now, there are so many different versions of it an none that is exactly like the one I learned. Why? Is mine wrong?
I forgot to mention that variations in the Vajrasattva mantra can also be due to differences in the Vajrasattva form - so variations are due not only to lineage, etc.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Danny

Post by Danny »

kirtu wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:36 pm
I forgot to mention that variations in the Vajrasattva mantra can also be due to differences in the Vajrasattva form - so variations are due not only to lineage, etc.

Kirt
Yes, but the intent is more important than the intellectual understanding
as a natural expression.
The 100 syllable mantra is for purification and forgiving mistakes made in practice. In that regard one naturally, because of one’s sincerity of practice, contracts to knowing it’s real function,
and naturally will find its organic beauty, with time, and once understood knows it’s timeless.

Also purifies the karmic connections with the dead and all living things.
Homage to the Supreme Dorje Sempa.
: )

Encourage those without to receive dorje sempa empowerment.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

lelopa wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:46 am
Ayu wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:30 am ................

Me too
At least finally I found the paragraph in the ToS :
Terms of Service wrote:
QUOTING AND REFERENCING SOURCES

When quoting a source, please provide a citation and if possible, a link. Do not copy and paste full articles or long passages. Instead, select and copy a few sentences or, at most, paragraphs, that are relevant to the discussion and paste them with proper citation.

Please respect the wishes of teachers/authors. It is policy here not to permit quotes (or the publishing of) tracts from restricted texts or the reproduction of restricted images, audio/video including web/podcasts.

Any text or images which are considered Fair Use or not copyrighted may be used including articles which are freely given, providing they are used here for non-commercial purposes as this is an ad-free non-commercial website.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

kirtu wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:41 pm
There are variations between traditions and as Ayu noted even between teachers sometimes. However there is a common recitation (that nonetheless can differ between traditions mostly at the end). Normally this version is found in ngondro.

However, the Vajrasattva mantra structure is repeated in different tantras for different deities for purification. These are the Five Dhayani Buddhas (so there is a Vajrasattva structured purification mantra for each of the Five Dhyani Buddhas) but this also exists for some of the "heavy power" yidams. I don't know if this exists for all the yidams though. And it's possible that this is also a lineage thing.
Alastair wrote: also, can someone recommend me a good translation or explanation what it means?
Interestingly I asked one of my lamas this question once. To my surprise and the evident shock of everyone else in the room (several monastics), he began going through the mantra and explained all of it. So ask your lama. In the Nyingma tradition there is at least one text that does the same and I had seen that text (which is why I asked my lama [from another tradition]).
Alastair wrote: Someone (a buddhist) told me the [XXX] part is in fact meant as laughing is that true? My athiest boyfriend is always very amused about that part when he hears me saying it :D
:rolling:
The short answer is yes. But imagine what that means. This is after all the Buddha of Purification. We could use terms like "emptiness roar", etc.

Kirt
Funny story! Why were the monks/nuns surprised? You mentioned that i was a Nyingma text you read that explained the mantra -- were they maybe shocked because their own school doesn't have as strong of a tradition of dissecting the meaning of the mantra?
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Charlie123 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm

It is something that comes from the tantras, not the sutras. It cannot be practiced without some sort of transmission or empowerment. There are many mantras and images “all over the internet” that are really supposed to be secret.
Hi Charlie123, I thought that at least one Vajrasattva practice was open? I tried really hard to dig up the name of the author just now but couldn't find it.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

karmanyingpo wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:54 pm
Charlie123 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi Charlie123, I thought that at least one Vajrasattva practice was open? I tried really hard to dig up the name of the author just now but couldn't find it.
Maybe Jigme Phuntsok’s pure vision practice as elaborated by Khenpo Sodargye in “Vajrasattva Meditation”.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”