How to accumulate many tsoks alone

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Toenail

How to accumulate many tsoks alone

Post by Toenail »

I know in monasteries etc it is done with rice etc, but how can it be done with rice etc? If we want to accumulate 1000, 10000 etc? It is impossible to eat that much rice 🙅‍♀️
pemachophel

Re: How to accumulate many tsoks alone

Post by pemachophel »

You set out a regular tshog with it's offerings. Not just rice. Fruit, flower, candles, cookies, cakes, incense, what have you. You go through the sadhana you are doing till you come to the tshog. After the dralwa/liberation, you say whatever long tshog prayer you usually say. Then you say a short tshog prayer as many times as you intend. For instance, I might say seven, 21, or 100 of Jigme Ling's short tshog prayer, each repetition is a whole tshog in and of itself. Then I would switch to an even shorter one, such as Chatral Rinpoche's short tshopg prayer:

Chatral Rinpoche’s Short Tshog Prayer Written for Jetsun Rinpoche

RAM YAM KHAM OM AH HUNG
ZAG-MED DUD-TSI TSHOG-CHOD-DI
TSA-SUM LHA-LA GYED-PAR-BUL
NAM-CHAG KUN-SHAG BAR-CHED-DROL
THRIN-LAY NGO-DRUB NYUR-DRUB-TSOL
GA-NA CHAK-RA PU-TSA-HO

By offering this undefiled amrit of tshog offerings
To the Three Roots and [all] the Deities, [They] are pleased.
May all breakages be [admitted and] layed aside, may [all] obstacles liberated,
And may Enlightened activity and siddhi be quickly bestowed.
GA-NA CHAK-RA PU-TSA-HO

After saying this 1000 or more times, you might then switch to an even shorter prayer, like Extremely Short Tshog Prayer:

HUNG
TSA-SUM LHA-LA TSHOG-BUL KANG-ZHING-SHAG
BAR-CHED KUN-SOL CHOG-THUN NGO-DRUB-TSOL

I offer tshog to the Deities of the Three Roots to fulfill [our sacred] heart-bond and lay aside our failings.
Dispel all obstacles and bestow supreme and ordinary siddhi.

It can even get down to something as short as "RAM YAM KHAM OM AH HUNG GA-NA CHA-KRA PU-TSA-HO" or just "GA-NA CHA-KRA PU-TSA-HO."

In monasteries or Tantric sanghas where there is more than one person, each repetition is multiplied by the total number of practitioners saying it. If you have a large sangha, then you can accumulate 100,000 tshogs relatively quickly.

After you hit your target number, then you continue with the tshog and sadhana as regular -- distributing the offerings, making concluding Protectors' offerings, receiving the siddhi, etc. through the dedication of merit, aspiration prayers, and tashis.

In other words, it's not about the physical offerings. It's about saying the tshog prayers with the proper motivation, visualization, and concentration.

I hope this was what you were asking.

(To use the above prayers or any similar ones, you should receive the lung/oral transmission.)

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Terma

Re: How to accumulate many tsoks alone

Post by Terma »

I agree with Lama Pema's suggestion to receive lung, but I will also add that Mipham's short guru yoga practice based on the seven line prayer called "Shower of Blessings" has a very short Tsok insert, and it actually has a very short prayer which follows the sadhana saying "for the accumulation of feasts, recite...".

Not sure how easy it is to get lungs these days, but this is a pretty common practice among Nyingma and Kagyu.

Good luck!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”