Reciting Sitatapatra Name Mantra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
cjdevries

Reciting Sitatapatra Name Mantra

Post by cjdevries »

Recently, I was in a dream with some difficult obstacles. I started reciting the Sitatapatra name mantra while in the dream "Om Namo Sitatapatra Devi" and the obstacles began to clear and disperse. I wanted to ask if this mantra needs permission to recite.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Reciting Sitatapatra Name Mantra

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Maybe a lama will appear in your dreams who you can ask.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

cjdevries wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:41 pm Recently, I was in a dream with some difficult obstacles. I started reciting the Sitatapatra name mantra while in the dream "Om Namo Sitatapatra Devi" and the obstacles began to clear and disperse. I wanted to ask if this mantra needs permission to recite.
where this mantra come from?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I participated in a lecture on Sitatapatra and looked up the name mantra online after the lecture.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

cjdevries wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm I participated in a lecture on Sitatapatra and looked up the name mantra online after the lecture.
Have you checked if it is contained in the Surangama Sutra?

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

No I haven't

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

In the dream, I was reciting Buddha Amitabha's name but this recitation wasn't helping the situation very much. That is when I switched to reciting the name mantra of Sitatapatra.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

cjdevries wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 pm In the dream, I was reciting Buddha Amitabha's name but this recitation wasn't helping the situation very much. That is when I switched to reciting the name mantra of Sitatapatra.
If mantra comes from sutras then it is okay to recite without lung. That is why it is important to check where it originates from.

Otherwise, sounds like an auspicious dream. If I were you I'd find a teacher to receive sitatapatra transmissions from.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

cjdevries wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:04 pm In the dream, I was reciting Buddha Amitabha's name but this recitation wasn't helping the situation very much. That is when I switched to reciting the name mantra of Sitatapatra.
you have a teacher? maybe you should find a good teacher whom you trust and talk about this.

ok, by the way, i advice you don't run your mouth much with other people about your experiences, otherwise you may block them :P

cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Yes I'll ask my teacher. Good advice on keeping my mouth shut, too. Haha thanks. :) :anjali:

jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

cjdevries wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm I participated in a lecture on Sitatapatra and looked up the name mantra online after the lecture.
That's part of the danger of just finding mantras online, it's not from any Chinese tradition based on the Shurangama Sutra, nor any Tibetan lineages I know of. That's not to say it's from an illegitimate lineage, but it's certainly not from the common ones I know.
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Yes, I don’t think it’s a mantra with a transmission lineage. As it’s just “om” in front of a homage (like namo Amitābhaya) I’d think it would be fine to say if you wanted to, as you don’t need permission for homages.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”