Tibetan to English word

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Post Reply
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

Having a issue with a word, only heard phoneticly
as something like Chucheng connected to flight or air, any help if that means something in English?

Thanks
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 4179
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Maybe
མཁའ་དབྱིངས།
Kha ching
Means sky
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 am མཁའ་དབྱིངས།
Kha ching
Means sky
Thanks Padma, this was a chu or oo sound, With a hard ch. I’ve tried a few places and dictionaries.
But having issues nailing down the Wylie.
User avatar
PadmaVonSamba
Posts: 4179
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Danny wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:33 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 am མཁའ་དབྱིངས།
Kha ching
Means sky
Thanks Padma, this was a chu or oo sound, With a hard ch. I’ve tried a few places and dictionaries.
But having issues nailing down the Wylie.
If you were listening to the word being spoken, keep in mind that there are sometimes slightly different pronunciations, depending on dialects or where the person is from, just as with words in English.
But, I’m no expert in tibetan by any means.
There is an app you can get that will translate different words or phrases from English into tibetan. From there, copy and paste the Tibetan translation into google translator and select Chinese as the “from” language and English as the “to” language. That will give you some kind of English writing so perhaps you can find what you are looking for.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:15 am
Danny wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:33 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 am མཁའ་དབྱིངས།
Kha ching
Means sky
Thanks Padma, this was a chu or oo sound, With a hard ch. I’ve tried a few places and dictionaries.
But having issues nailing down the Wylie.
If you were listening to the word being spoken, keep in mind that there are sometimes slightly different pronunciations, depending on dialects or where the person is from, just as with words in English.
But, I’m no expert in tibetan by any means.
There is an app you can get that will translate different words or phrases from English into tibetan. From there, copy and paste the Tibetan translation into google translator and select Chinese as the “from” language and English as the “to” language. That will give you some kind of English writing so perhaps you can find what you are looking for.
I’m looking into the dialect variation aspect, I’ve even considered it might be Chinese in sound also, or even depending on the context of sentence structure (Subject,object,accusative, possessive, noun, verb, aspirant, nonaspirant, etc) as the aspirant, the hard chu Ch(oo) sound can render the word into a different direction of meaning. It’s a bit of a head scratcher at the mo.
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

I’m leaning towards something like “great eagle”
Something big, vast, great etc
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

Danny wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:13 pm I’m leaning towards something like “great eagle”
Something big, vast, great etc
Lol scratch that, eagle is
khra glag..., so way off.
I’m gonna drop it, it will remain a mystery.
yeshegyaltsen
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by yeshegyaltsen »

Probably khyung chen (Great Garuda) which some Tibetans pronounce chung chen
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

yeshegyaltsen wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:46 pm Probably khyung chen (Great Garuda) which some Tibetans pronounce chung chen
That’s it, bingo! Thanks so much, that’s really very interesting.
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

yeshegyaltsen wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:46 pm Probably khyung chen (Great Garuda) which some Tibetans pronounce chung chen
Do you have any idea what region of Tibet that comes from, the dialect , Central, western? East? Is it kham, derge, mustang, amdo,
Upper/lower U Tsang etc
Charlie123
Posts: 323
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Charlie123 »

Danny wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:18 pm
yeshegyaltsen wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:46 pm Probably khyung chen (Great Garuda) which some Tibetans pronounce chung chen
Do you have any idea what region of Tibet that comes from, the dialect , Central, western? East? Is it kham, derge, mustang, amdo,
Upper/lower U Tsang etc
I have met multiple lamas from Kham who turn Kh sounds in to Ch sounds.

It is entirely possible that some people from other regions do this as well. I don’t know much about the Tibetan language, but I noticed the change in pronunciation while reciting prayers that I have the transliteration for w/ these lamas.
pemachophel
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by pemachophel »

Padma,

It's not Kha ching. It's pronounced kha ying.

Danny,

Chung chen for great Garuda - Kham ked, Kham dialect
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 pm Padma,

It's not Kha ching. It's pronounced kha ying.

Danny,

Chung chen for great Garuda - Kham ked, Kham dialect
Thanks lama.
Next dopey question, is there a difference between a great Garuda and a khyung?
Khyung being of dialect origin of western Tibet and a Chung Chen of eastern kham?
I just realized Derge kingdom is in Kham Region.
pemachophel
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by pemachophel »

Both spelled in Tibetan exactly the same. It's only a difference in pronunciation, not meaning or significance.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Danny
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:43 pm

Re: Tibetan to English word

Post by Danny »

pemachophel wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:15 pm Both spelled in Tibetan exactly the same. It's only a difference in pronunciation, not meaning or significance.
Well, thanks everyone for the contributions, Certainly helped me clarify one or two things.
Appreciate it.

Pema ma, thank you.

:buddha1:
Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”