105 Bead Mala?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Re: 105 Bead Mala?

Post by jet.urgyen »

Danny wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:30 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:37 am
lelopa wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 am :thanks:
I am not able to find an Indian source... except Termas.
I don't know any Tantra, or commentaries which mention Mala-designs....
i suppose that Samputa Tantra is the source of GP teachings on this, but i cannot check :(
I have a copy somewhere of Samputa Tantra, I don’t recall from my bad memory about mentioning this type of system on malas, but of conduct in general.
To my mind there are a few mentions in the Deity,Mantra and Wisdom (Highly recommend read) about, warmth of the body, which wrist, not putting on ground etc when handling ones mala, there may even be types of seeds to use, what type for wrathful or peaceful and so forth, bodhi tree seeds the best etc. what to do if mala string breaks, rituals etc. but in all honesty, the important thing is the quality of mantra recitation (diligence, faith, devotion etc) and the amount or quantities are secondary, not to be imputed that numbers are not important, but that is a position of where one is at in terms of what we’re engaged in, lower/outer higher/inner practices, that’s the consideration and not one size fits all, considerations of generating and accumulating the required number of mantras etc.

Not heard or seen of a mala with 105. Sounds sketchy and a bit “took” if you know what I mean.
good to know, i couldn't check bcause i don'r have transmission of the text, nice to know it maybe have nothing to do with this.

yes as Magnus wrote, deity, mantra and wisdom book have a teaching precising many things about malas and alike.

and yeah, 105 might be a corrupted mala, as many of the spiritual-marketing products around, but who knows maybe it is specific in a tradition we don't know.. for me a clear flag is ornaments, malas should't have them.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Danny

Post by Danny »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:40 pm

and yeah, 105 might be a corrupted mala, as many of the spiritual-marketing products around, but who knows maybe it is specific in a tradition we don't know.. for me a clear flag is ornaments, malas should't have them.
Agreed, I mean hanging boons of mantra completions on ones mala doesn’t bother me at all, but mala to me has its function and that’s all, it’s a bean counter, not a fashion item, nor does it possess some magical power. To each their own. I used to wear mine, but it’s not practical.
shankara

Post by shankara »

https://vajratool.wordpress.com/2011/02 ... -rinpoche/

Interesting thing is the recommendation to use the left hand, in Hindu dharma it's always the right.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”