Age of Disease, Famine and War

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Age of Disease, Famine and War

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hey, following is a text I found onf FB.
A recent urgent message from His Eminence Gangteng Tulku Rinpoche, which emphasizes why accumulating the Seven-Line Prayer is so necessary right now:
*Advice and Prophecy from Our Guru and Dharma Protector*
With Bhutan’s recent move to declare the country in lock-down and travel ban, Rinpoche also went into retreat. Despite that, Rinpoche specially set aside time yesterday to speak with the two Acharyas of Yeshe Khorlo Taiwan due to his care and concern for the students.
In the midst of the conversation, Rinpoche suddenly remarked, “The pandemic will be followed by a famine”. He also added that there have been many anomalies recently, all of which are unlucky signs. And, “Now, Bhutan also has all kinds of strange phenomena. For example, clouds in the sky are gathering from the North, South, East and West. Clouds of different colours can be seen entangled in the skies, swirling with strong forces of wind, as if fighting. Then, a storm would ensue, which had never happened before.”
So I asked Rinpoche, “It has been said that when a pandemic or famine occurs, it means that the beings in the celestial realm are in battle with the non-celestial forces. Should we then seek advice from the Dharma Protector on the practices we should undertake?”
Rinpoche replied that the Dharma Protector Zimar had manifested and advised, “The students of Rinpoche should undertake more practices of “Prayer to Guru Rinpoche" (Seven Line Prayer) and "Tsog", and to perform more recitations of the "Guru Mantra". And it was highlighted, “In this world of five turbidities, in addition to taking refuge in the Triple Jewels, Buddhist disciples should also pray to Guru Rinpoche as his blessings are real. The situation now is consistent with Guru Rinpoche’s past prophecies and his aspirations have now matured; thus beings should make sincere aspirations and prayers to the Triple Gems and Guru, and they will be liberated.
_The above is Acharya Sheng Yi’s (Dhonden) immediate transcript and translation (in Chinese), and requested for Rinpoche’s compassionate disclosure to all disciples. It is hoped that all students of Guru Rinpoche and Rinpoche from all over will practise diligently and remember this by heart._
———————
Join the global Seven-Line Prayer accumulation @ www.sevenlineprayer.com
Recently I also heard Garchen Rinpoche talk about us now being in the age of disease. Quite frankly I thought things would go a bit slower and it would take a while for us to get to the age of diseas and then famine and and war.

What other practices can help us protect our loved ones and all beings in general?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
pemachophel

Re: Age of Disease, Famine and War

Post by pemachophel »

IME, often, people who are on the verge of death don't actually see or really acknowledge that. They may know it intellectually, but still some part of us thinks it's not gonna happen to us. Personally, I think the same thing is true with this degenerate age/Kali Yuga. We know we're in it but yet we don't really think we're gonna be the ones to experience the full brunt. This is the third or fourth Lama I've heard recently say, "Hold onto your hats, kiddies. It's gonna get rough."

The late Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche, Dudjom Rinpoche's Dungse and, in all probability based on His Father's secret predictions, has advised saying huge amounts of the Seven-line Prayer, similar to Gangteng Tulku. If you're Nyingmapa, nothing better than that. It covers all the bases both for self and others.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

pemachophel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 pm IME, often, people who are on the verge of death don't actually see or really acknowledge that. They may know it intellectually, but still some part of us thinks it's not gonna happen to us. Personally, I think the same thing is true with this degenerate age/Kali Yuga. We know we're in it but yet we don't really think we're gonna be the ones to experience the full brunt. This is the third or fourth Lama I've heard recently say, "Hold onto your hats, kiddies. It's gonna get rough."

The late Shenphen Dawa Rinpoche, Dudjom Rinpoche's Dungse and, in all probability based on His Father's secret predictions, has advised saying huge amounts of the Seven-line Prayer, similar to Gangteng Tulku. If you're Nyingmapa, nothing better than that. It covers all the bases both for self and others.

Good luck & best wishes.
Hm, thank you very much Pema. I heard that ChNN once said sth along the lines that we are just seeing the beginning of kali yuga and the main things are coming.

I am not much of a Nyingmapa, although I have received some Nyingma teachings I am mostly focusing on Drikung. Somehow I have a weird block when it comes to Padmasambhava despite the fact that I always used to feel close to him and in my beginnings recited his mantra every day and even used it in my dreams to ward off nasty dreams when many didn't "do the trick". Heck am probably being stupidly sectarian.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 am ... Heck am probably being stupidly sectarian.
yep. better to drop that tension haha.

--

everyone have more or less anger toward humans. we are destroying the world of everyone, not only ours with ourselves within.

in ancient times human population was always kept under control by means of plages and famines, i don't know where from came the idea that humans are so important that we cannot have this problems anymore, we are so many now.

i think there is a chance for peace if we respect the enviroment, otherwise we are very much frak up.

furthermore, look at this:

source: https://ourworldindata.org/future-population-growth

how is possible that there wont be a big chance of big epidemics and famine? this problems we created ourselves, there is no way that "demonic" forces are in causing anything but taking advantage of our mess.
Ignorant_Fool

Post by Ignorant_Fool »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 pm This is the third or fourth Lama I've heard recently say, "Hold onto your hats, kiddies. It's gonna get rough."
Could you elaborate on the specifics of what they spoke how? Did they give any indication of just how bad things are going to get?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

pemachophel wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:30 pm IME, often, people who are on the verge of death don't actually see or really acknowledge that. They may know it intellectually, but still some part of us thinks it's not gonna happen to us. Personally, I think the same thing is true with this degenerate age/Kali Yuga. We know we're in it but yet we don't really think we're gonna be the ones to experience the full brunt. This is the third or fourth Lama I've heard recently say, "Hold onto your hats, kiddies. It's gonna get rough."

Good luck & best wishes.
Wait, I thought each Kalpa contained a thousand Buddhas and after Maitreya, there would be 9,995 Buddhas left to go before the end of the Kalpa? Or is Kali Yuga to happen during that time and again with other Buddhas?
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

There was also a message from another lama, either Khenchen Tsewang Gyatso or Khenchen Namdrol, that mentioned the possibility of famine in the near future. You don't, however, need to have clairvoyance, be proficient in divination or have knowledge of Buddhist prophecies to be aware of this possibility.

Anyhow who does a little research will learn that our food system is built on a foundation of sand. Industrial agriculture is highly susceptible to devastating blights. Huge crop failures will happen.

Well, actually, they have been happening in equatorial regions for some time now. Still, it is going to get much worse.

One more thing, famine always brings violent conflict.
Lhasa

Post by Lhasa »

This is a message from Yongdzin Tenzin Namdak Rinpoche last April.

https://yungdrungbon.co.uk/2020/04/16/i ... e-pandemic
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 amI am not much of a Nyingmapa, although I have received some Nyingma teachings I am mostly focusing on Drikung. Somehow I have a weird block when it comes to Padmasambhava despite the fact that I always used to feel close to him and in my beginnings recited his mantra every day and even used it in my dreams to ward off nasty dreams when many didn't "do the trick".
Not sure if it will help, but -- I consider myself a Nyingmapa, zero doubts here, but all the Guru Rinpoche wangs I received before the summer of 2019 I received from Garchen Rinpoche and Drupon Tsering Rinpoche. Similarly, all the Yeshe Tsogyal wangs I received before the previous summer came from these two gentlemen. One of these wangs turned out -- in hindsight -- to have opened what appears to be a crucial door I would never have noticed otherwise.

Come to think of it, more than a half of the wangs I have received from Garchen Rinpoche, Drupon Tsering Rinpoche and Chimi Dorjee Rinpoche -- the three Drikung teachers I have met -- are Nyingma wangs.

I really think that Garchen Rinpoche and his crew are crypto-Nyingmapas. :spy:
To offer care and affection to sentient beings
In desperate situations who lack protection
Brings just as much merit as the meditation
On emptiness with compassion as its core—
So it has been said by glorious Lord Atisha.

Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche

If you cannot generate an altruistic mind, even extensive retreat will be of not much benefit.
Garchen Triptrul Rinpoche
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pm Not sure if it will help, but -- I consider myself a Nyingmapa, zero doubts here, but all the Guru Rinpoche wangs I received before the summer of 2019 I received from Garchen Rinpoche and Drupon Tsering Rinpoche. Similarly, all the Yeshe Tsogyal wangs I received before the previous summer came from these two gentlemen. One of these wangs turned out -- in hindsight -- to have opened what appears to be a crucial door I would never have noticed otherwise.

Come to think of it, more than a half of the wangs I have received from Garchen Rinpoche, Drupon Tsering Rinpoche and Chimi Dorjee Rinpoche -- the three Drikung teachers I have met -- are Nyingma wangs.

Oh yeah, the Drikung Nyingma relationship is tight. I have also received the Guru Rinpoche wang from Garchen Rinpoche. I guess I am just spoiled and would love some easy to do practice with Guru Rinpoche. :rolling: But the one Garchen Rinpoche gives is sooo looong.

Anyway you have reminded me of one argument on FB. One FB troublemaker accused Ayang Rinpoche of being too Nyingma for Drikung webcast group. :lol: I know the troublemaker from before when he was very rude to my dear teacher for changing his mind a bit and giving an empowerment online during the pandemic. Guess I am not that badly sectarian. :woohoo:

Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:55 pm
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pm Not sure if it will help, but -- I consider myself a Nyingmapa, zero doubts here, but all the Guru Rinpoche wangs I received before the summer of 2019 I received from Garchen Rinpoche and Drupon Tsering Rinpoche. Similarly, all the Yeshe Tsogyal wangs I received before the previous summer came from these two gentlemen. One of these wangs turned out -- in hindsight -- to have opened what appears to be a crucial door I would never have noticed otherwise.

Oh yeah, the Drikung Nyingma relationship is tight. I have also received the Guru Rinpoche wang from Garchen Rinpoche. I guess I am just spoiled and would love some easy to do practice with Guru Rinpoche. :rolling: But the one Garchen Rinpoche gives is sooo looong.

Anyway you have reminded me of one argument on FB. One FB troublemaker accused Ayang Rinpoche of being too Nyingma for Drikung webcast group. :lol: I know the troublemaker from before when he was very rude to my dear teacher for changing his mind a bit and giving an empowerment online during the pandemic. Guess I am not that badly sectarian. :woohoo:
Why not the Vajra Guru Mantra or the Seven Line Prayer? The Seven Line Prayer for what it's worth, is a very popular practice, and an incredibly deep and profound practice.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Norwegian wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:00 pm Why not the Vajra Guru Mantra or the Seven Line Prayer? The Seven Line Prayer for what it's worth, is a very popular practice, and an incredibly deep and profound practice.
True, those can actually just be done right? I actually never thought of supplicating outside of some formal sadhana.

Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:50 am
Norwegian wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:00 pm Why not the Vajra Guru Mantra or the Seven Line Prayer? The Seven Line Prayer for what it's worth, is a very popular practice, and an incredibly deep and profound practice.
True, those can actually just be done right? I actually never thought of supplicating outside of some formal sadhana.
Yes. Some people will recite these constantly throughout the day in the same way that the mani is recite.

https://www.sevenlineprayer.com
tobes

Post by tobes »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:50 am
For sure, for sure, you can (and should) definitely do this. You should trust that you already have all the right conditions for this to ripen very auspiciously for yourself and others.

Even if you only do one mantra and one 7 line prayer every day, I will personally rejoice in this....
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:15 amI am not much of a Nyingmapa, although I have received some Nyingma teachings I am mostly focusing on Drikung. Somehow I have a weird block when it comes to Padmasambhava despite the fact that I always used to feel close to him and in my beginnings recited his mantra every day and even used it in my dreams to ward off nasty dreams when many didn't "do the trick".
Not sure if it will help, but -- I consider myself a Nyingmapa, zero doubts here, but all the Guru Rinpoche wangs I received before the summer of 2019 I received from Garchen Rinpoche and Drupon Tsering Rinpoche. Similarly, all the Yeshe Tsogyal wangs I received before the previous summer came from these two gentlemen. One of these wangs turned out -- in hindsight -- to have opened what appears to be a crucial door I would never have noticed otherwise.

It's not very crypto :) a lot of lineage material in Drikung is terma. But for HEGr personally, when he teaches Dzogchen he's teaching mostly what he received from Khenpo Munsel when they were both in prison together.
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

quad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 pm [Mod note: Post removed in the context of a big tidy up.]
practices are "protection" from ignorance. most people take them as protection from things they don't like.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:32 am
quad wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:59 pm [Mod note: Post removed in the context of a big tidy up.]
practices are "protection" from ignorance. most people take them as protection from things they don't like.
:good: We shouldn't expect Dharma to necessarily protect us from worldly misfortune all the time, that's why so many teachings say to endure it and maintain our Bodhicitta, etc when we suffer. Wanting Dharma to fix our existence runs the danger of turning into a Buddhist version of Prosperity Gospel, and sometimes it looks like that.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Please mind the subforum. If you don't agree to Tibetan Buddhist practices, please go ahead and post somewhere else.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

PeterC wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:15 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pmI really think that Garchen Rinpoche and his crew are crypto-Nyingmapas. :spy:
It's not very crypto :) a lot of lineage material in Drikung is terma. But for HEGr personally, when he teaches Dzogchen he's teaching mostly what he received from Khenpo Munsel when they were both in prison together.
Indeed. I had thought terma in this context meant mostly Namcho but over the years I have also received not just Longchen Nyngthig but also Peling and Dudjom Tersar wangs and teachings.
To offer care and affection to sentient beings
In desperate situations who lack protection
Brings just as much merit as the meditation
On emptiness with compassion as its core—
So it has been said by glorious Lord Atisha.

Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche

If you cannot generate an altruistic mind, even extensive retreat will be of not much benefit.
Garchen Triptrul Rinpoche
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:23 am
PeterC wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:15 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:26 pmI really think that Garchen Rinpoche and his crew are crypto-Nyingmapas. :spy:
Indeed. I had thought terma in this context meant mostly Namcho but over the years I have also received not just Longchen Nyngthig but also Peling and Dudjom Tersar wangs and teachings.
HEGr has love for all lineages

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”