Ngakpas everywhere!

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
jet.urgyen

Re: Ngakpas everywhere!

Post by jet.urgyen »

Grigoris wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:21 pm
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 pmi'm sorry, but any idiot can wear a zen, have dreadlocks, carry a mala, etc. this are absolutely no indicators of anything.

i mean, of course there are true practitioners that use this, but it is fallacious to consider this garments as indicator.

nowadays this are like the swords of samurais in their final period: sharpless.
Any idiot can say "A" three times, this is absolutley not an indicator of anything.

I mean of course there are true practitioners that use this method to directly perceive the nature of their minds, but it is fallacious to consider the practice as an indicator.

nowadays this is like the words of internet philosophers during the social media period: lacking any real meaning.
i agree.

edit:

i wanted to apollogize if i offended anyone, it isn't my wish to be it so.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Well, I’ll put it this way: all this conversation has convinced me to never become ngakpa (or at least not in this life), it just all seems mundane on a spiritual sense with more restrictions about this rite or that siddhi or some appeasement, etc.

In short, I believe we can lock up this forum. My respects to the great ngakpas and their siddhis, though at this time, I have doubts that the modern world has any use of divination, local weather control, etc.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

¿how can one recognize a true ngakpa? i mean someone who take this seriously ¿how?

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 am Well, I’ll put it this way: all this conversation has convinced me to never become ngakpa (or at least not in this life), it just all seems mundane on a spiritual sense with more restrictions about this rite or that siddhi or some appeasement, etc.

In short, I believe we can lock up this forum. My respects to the great ngakpas and their siddhis, though at this time, I have doubts that the modern world has any use of divination, local weather control, etc.
Maybe in the future you can find a Tony Robbins or J.P Sears kinda Ngakpa friends.
As far as there being no need for divination or weather control.This is as applicalble as it ever has been unless you have a handy divination app you are not telling us about.
In short. You have disrespected the Great Ngakpas of the past and present in the same sentence you claim to respect them.
Last edited by amanitamusc on Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:57 am ¿how can one recognize a true ngakpa? i mean someone who take this seriously ¿how?
Be one.
Or ask Malcolm.One of his Root Lama's is Ngakpa Yeshe Dorje.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 am Well, I’ll put it this way: all this conversation has convinced me to never become ngakpa (or at least not in this life), it just all seems mundane on a spiritual sense with more restrictions about this rite or that siddhi or some appeasement, etc.

Like we care...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
heart

Post by heart »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:57 am ¿how can one recognize a true ngakpa? i mean someone who take this seriously ¿how?
Use the same metod you use to recognise a true monk/nun.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 am I have doubts that the modern world has any use of divination..........
You serious? It is a massive massive business, from 'super forecasters' in politics and economics to those addicted to daily horoscopes.
The 'modern world' is global, obviously, and people in many cultures look to spiritual sources of divination.
As for the Ngakpa variety I can guarantee you than anyone capable of mirror divination will be highly sought after, and I suspect many who post here use dice divination, mala divination, or another form, and consult the Tibetan calendar carefully for auspiciousness.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:06 pm
Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:25 am I have doubts that the modern world has any use of divination..........
As for the Ngakpa variety I can guarantee you than anyone capable of mirror divination will be highly sought after, and I suspect many who post here use dice divination, mala divination, or another form, and consult the Tibetan calendar carefully for auspiciousness.
yep, ime it has being very very helpfull.

Tenma

Post by Tenma »

amanitamusc wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:04 am

Maybe in the future you can find a Tony Robbins or J.P Sears kinda Ngakpa friends.
As far as there being no need for divination or weather control.This is as applicalble as it ever has been unless you have a handy divination app you are not telling us about.
In short. You have disrespected the Great Ngakpas of the past and present in the same sentence you claim to respect them.
-Why would there be a divination app in the first place?
-Can you tell me something that has been applicable about weather control today then, especially outside of Tibet and India? Why not Africa if it works?
-Sure.

Why do we even need divination? Why have something tell us what to do? Is it not we who decide our fate, not have our fate pre-destined to the organization of a bunch of stuff?
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

You serious? It is a massive massive business, from 'super forecasters' in politics and economics to those addicted to daily horoscopes.
The 'modern world' is global, obviously, and people in many cultures look to spiritual sources of divination.
Again, why restrict our fates to the organization of things? Can we not make our own decisions, especially under the teachings of a lama? Why not actually think things through instead of throwing all our questions into the organization of beads, shells, shadows, etc.?
I'll ask this to everyone: what do you use divinations for in your life?

I can understand why some might consider certain astronomical events such as a full/new moon, the lunar eclipse, and the like as sacred (whether it be the tides, mating rituals for animals such as sea urchins, etc.), but why have each day have a determination for auspiciousness? It's very probable the Buddha didn't teach astrology, let alone some form of "healing rites" that were most likely developed by local traditions and whatnot.
Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik »

Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:16 pm
Again, why restrict our fates to the organization of things? Can we not make our own decisions, especially under the teachings of a lama? Why not actually think things through instead of throwing all our questions into the organization of beads, shells, shadows, etc.?
I'll ask this to everyone: what do you use divinations for in your life?

I can understand why some might consider certain astronomical events such as a full/new moon, the lunar eclipse, and the like as sacred (whether it be the tides, mating rituals for animals such as sea urchins, etc.), but why have each day have a determination for auspiciousness? It's very probable the Buddha didn't teach astrology, let alone some form of "healing rites" that were most likely developed by local traditions and whatnot.
Ah, you mean make our own decisions? Check.
Based on the advice of a Lama? Check.
A Lama who has more than likely consulted the calendar and divination?

You mean a Buddha called Padmasambhava or another one?

I suppose it is possible to be a Ngakpa and not believe in siddhis at all, or Oracles, or auspicious days, or Dharmapalas..........
Are you sure you are in the right part of the forum?
This is 'Tibetan Buddhism' so it is quite likely there will be the context of that culture, you know.

I am at a loss why you think that logical decision-making and 'thinking things through' may not take into account divination and other similar advice received from those who are our masters or have the training in these matters based on many generations.

It's a bit like being in a computer shop and refusing all advice even though you have no idea about hardware or software.
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:16 pmIt's very probable the Buddha didn't teach astrology, let alone some form of "healing rites" that were most likely developed by local traditions and whatnot.
Not sure whether you are trolling, joking, or just unaware of what you are doing.

This is the Vajrayana section of DW. If you want to embark upon the fundamentalist search for "what the Buddha *actually* taught," or some other version of the modernising trip, you need to post elsewhere.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Tenma wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:08 pm
Why do we even need divination? Why have something tell us what to do? Is it not we who decide our fate, not have our fate pre-destined to the organization of a bunch of stuff?
we don't need divination but is very nice to have advice from a wisdom being like a boddhisatva and so on. we always decide what to do, even if we decide to do nothing.

vajrayana divinations i know points causes and consequences that usually we cannot identify by means of our own capacity. for example questions like ¿would be good for me to study with that teacher?, ¿why i have this problem?, ¿did i made a heavy mistake yesterday?, etc. and even questions like ¿e'm i practicing correctly this method? ¿how can i correct that?, etc.

and also other kind of things like ¿how will be my parents health in the next half year? and alike.

one can observe then how things manifests and decide how to act.

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Mantrik wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:55 pm It's a bit like being in a computer shop and refusing all advice even though you have no idea about hardware or software.
:rolling:

I get divinations for important things - surgeries, office layout, moving house, etc. I’m generally a very rational person. Part of being rational is recognizing that luck matters and there are many unseen factors outside your control. And getting advice from someone you respect cant really hurt, can it?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The weather people on TV....in english, they even call them 'forecasts'
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

PeterC wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:51 pm :rolling:

I get divinations for important things - surgeries, office layout, moving house, etc. I’m generally a very rational person. Part of being rational is recognizing that luck matters and there are many unseen factors outside your control. And getting advice from someone you respect cant really hurt, can it?
Divination has nothing to do with luck. It is all about identifying subtle or difficult to perceive patterns of karma and vipakka/phala, by relying on wisdom beings pointing them out to you via symbols.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:12 pm
The weather people on TV....in english, they even call them 'forecasts'
"The weather people on TV" can't control the weather.
Varis

Post by Varis »

I don't see why ngakpas aren't valuable in the modern world.
Plenty of people would go to a legit ngakpa to get a divination, rituals done for them, etc.

People pay big money in the United States and other first world countries to have priests of santeria, vodou, etc. perform divination, and rituals for love, money, luck, protection, etc. all things perfectly within the scope of a ngakpa.

I understand westerners who come to Buddhism usually do so because they're interested in spirituality and all that and aren't always interested in those mundane things. But there are plenty of other people who would love to have the services of a ngakpa if they were available.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Personally, I haven't found much interest in the services of a ngakpa (other than divination) in even a heavily Vajrayana city like Boulder, CO. Perhaps that's because so many of the practitioners here are old Trungpa Rinpoche students. (Don't ask me to explain that further, please.) I the last year, I've had a single request for a puja, and that was from a Nepali Buddhist.

Disclaimer: I'm a bit of a hidden yogi, and I'm not allowed to advertise (and wouldn't anyway). So, to be fair, most people don't know my training and background or how I spend my days. To all my neighbors, I'm just retired, old gardener Bob who always wears a red shirt.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”