Does anyone know anything about Lama Jigme Namgyal Rinpoche?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DewachenVagabond

Does anyone know anything about Lama Jigme Namgyal Rinpoche?

Post by DewachenVagabond »

This is the lama I'm asking about:

https://padmarigdzinling.org/a-short-bi ... -rinpoche/

I have been trying to learn about this lama for a while with little success:

His biography is quite something, to say the least. If he is really a lineage holder of the Longchen Nyingthik, then I'd like to meet him. I tried emailing the Dalai Lama's office about some of the claims in the biography that pertained to the Dalai Lama, but I haven't heard anything back.

If anyone knows anything about this lama, or knows anyone who may know something, I'd really appreciate any information.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
cjdevries

Re: Does anyone know anything about Lama Jigme Namgyal Rinpoche?

Post by cjdevries »

No, I don't know anything about him other than he's a healing master who helps people with psychological and physical illnesses. He is also available to do phowa and other prayers for deceased. He is the son of Chagdud Tulku I believe, and is involved with several organizations and centers, including Ati Ling, Mahakaruna Foundation, and all the other Chagdud Gonpa organizations and centers. I would like to know more about him too. I just found out about him a few weeks ago.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
DewachenVagabond

cjdevries wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:46 am No, I don't know anything about him other than he's a healing master who helps people with psychological and physical illnesses. He is also available to do phowa and other prayers for deceased. He is the son of Chagdud Tulku I believe, and is involved with several organizations and centers, including Ati Ling, Mahakaruna Foundation, and all the other Chagdud Gonpa organizations and centers. I would like to know more about him too. I just found out about him a few weeks ago.
I believe you are mistaking this lama for Jigme Tromge Rinpoche:

https://rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=J ... e_Rinpoche
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

yes, I think I am. Sorry. I think I confused the two because they share first names and the names of their temples are so similar. Padma Rigdzin Ling vs. Rigdzin Ling. For some reason, I thought they were affiliated.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi
DewachenVagabond

Yeah, that's the problem I keep having when I try to look anything up about this lama. There are lots of lamas with very similar names and/monasteries, and the only info on this lama seems to come from his own website and the occasional newspaper article from like the Reno Times or whatever.

In fact, there is even another lama with the same exact name!

https://www.tibetculture.lu/v2/lama/
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

If you want to check out this lama to see what he's about, he will be doing a ceremony on Wednesday. I received this email in my inbox after I had expressed interest a few days ago:

"Lama Jigme Rinpoche will be streaming the Rigzdin Dupa Sadhana and Tsok ceremony this Wednesday at 09:00AM Pacific Time.

(We will not be doing the weekly 6pm Monday livestream this week, instead we will be doing a Wednesday 9am livestream)

This livestream we will be doing the practice of the Rigdzin Dupa Sadhana on Padmasambhava Tsok day. Those who wanted to join us can recite the Vajra Guru Mantra while we do the main practice.

'OM AH HUNG BENZA GURU PADMA SIDDHI HUNG'

This is the month that the Buddha first turned the Wheel of Dharma (Choekhor Duchen), so it would be very meritorious for people to join for the ceremony.

Time: Jul 29, 2020 09:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83189411192?p ... xKeTZrUT09

Meeting ID: 831 8941 1192
Passcode: 523913

(You can do the main mantra with us throughout the puja, or you can do the main practice with us if you have the Rigdzin Dupa Sadhana book)

https://padmarigdzinling.org/store/

(We will also be using the Tsok Prayer Book as well at some points during the prayers)

[Tsok Prayer Book Download]

We truly appreciate everyone who has sent in donations in support of our livestreams. They help sustain the Temple's Dharma efforts and in sharing the Buddha's teachings for the highest benefits of all beings. Thank you! We dedicate our merit so that all beings may swiftly attain Buddhahood. If you wanted to make a donation to support the livestreaming then please click here.

May all sentient beings enjoy happiness and the causes of happiness."

SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

When I was in Dharamsala, I was looking for Nyingma teachers. I’ve never heard of or seen his monastery in Dharamsala, Rigdzin Padma Ling. There is Chamtrul Rinpoche’s bodhicitta center and the (currently) mostly abandoned Nyingma gompa on bhagsu rd Silnon Kagye Ling (belonged to Ngakpa Yeshe Dorje Rinpoche). Some Ngakpa s like to hide in the shadows... but it makes me wonder. If anyone knows about this temple, I’m very curious to know about it.

His bio says he was abbot and serving for HH Dalai Lama in 1993-1998, which would have been soon after Ngakpa Yeshe Dorje Rinpoche passed into parinirvana.

Also... I just looked at the website for the Lohan school he says he teaches out of. It’s a shaolin kungfu school in Chinatown, which has three Buddhist lineages and a daoist lineage. The tibetan lineage mentioned is through Dzogchen Khenpo Choga. But it also seems like their teacher recently passed away and this jigme namgyal Rinpoche has recently come, probably to fill the void.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Here's another Jigme Namgyal of the Longchen Nyingthik.

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... op_Namgyal
DewachenVagabond

SilenceMonkey wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 am Here's another Jigme Namgyal of the Longchen Nyingthik.

https://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?tit ... op_Namgyal
Yeah, but that's clearly a different lama. The main reason I'm asking about the lama in the OP is because he's close enough for me to visit, so I want to see if he's the real thing.
DewachenVagabond

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 am His bio says he was abbot and serving for HH Dalai Lama in 1993-1998, which would have been soon after Ngakpa Yeshe Dorje Rinpoche passed into parinirvana.
This is why I reached out to HH Dalai Lama's office, as it seems like a detail they should be able to verify. Also, given the details in his bio, including the one you mention above, it seems like someone should be familiar with this lama, but I can't find anyone who is.
SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 am Some Ngakpa s like to hide in the shadows... but it makes me wonder. If anyone knows about this temple, I’m very curious to know about it.
And I'm wondering if this is the case, i.e. if this is a case of a "hidden yogi." His activities teachings and practices, at least from what I can tell from the outside, all seem very traditional.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

SonamTashi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 am
SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 am His bio says he was abbot and serving for HH Dalai Lama in 1993-1998, which would have been soon after Ngakpa Yeshe Dorje Rinpoche passed into parinirvana.
This is why I reached out to HH Dalai Lama's office, as it seems like a detail they should be able to verify. Also, given the details in his bio, including the one you mention above, it seems like someone should be familiar with this lama, but I can't find anyone who is.
SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 am Some Ngakpa s like to hide in the shadows... but it makes me wonder. If anyone knows about this temple, I’m very curious to know about it.
And I'm wondering if this is the case, i.e. if this is a case of a "hidden yogi." His activities teachings and practices, at least from what I can tell from the outside, all seem very traditional.
Since his bio states that he received empowerments from Dilgo Khyentse, Penor Rinpoche, and Shechen Rabjam, it might be the case that someone from Shechen or Namdroling monasteries is able to say something about this lama. You might try reaching out either to a Shechen or Palyul lama.
DewachenVagabond

Charlie123 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:53 pm
SonamTashi wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:34 am
Since his bio states that he received empowerments from Dilgo Khyentse, Penor Rinpoche, and Shechen Rabjam, it might be the case that someone from Shechen or Namdroling monasteries is able to say something about this lama. You might try reaching out either to a Shechen or Palyul lama.
Thank you, I may do just that. But I think I may have just made a breakthrough on this, and it was something simple I had apparently overlooked. As SilenceMonkey noted, the Tibetan lineage mentioned on the Lohan website is through Dzogchen Khenpo Choga. In fact, it is listed as one of the centers on Dzogchenlineage.org. It is listed as Dzogchen Bodhi Temple of Las Vegas:

http://www.dzogchenlineage.org/dharmacenters.html

The Lohan page is a little unclear about who teaches in affiliation with Dzogchen Khenpo Choga's lineage. It is clear that Lama Jigme Namgyal Rinpoche has taught there regularly in the past, but it doesn't explicitly say that he's teaching in Khenpo Choga's lineage. There seems to be so much going on there, it could be a separate thing. However, there is an easy way to find out. Every Sunday there is a teaching given based on one of Khenpo Choga's books, and of course right now the class is presented online. If Lama Jigme Namgyal Rinpoche is the one teaching, then he must be a legitimate lama teaching in Khenpo Choga's lineage.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

i've been told his monastery is in TCV which is a village several kms away from Mcleodgunj. i've been to TCV before but didn't pay attention, if it's there it must be small gompa. as for this Ngakpa itself i got the impression it's better to take him with a grain of salt.
stay open, spread love
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

Yes I know about this Lama, he is not affiliated with anyone other than the Dalai Lama in the past in terms of his organization. He teaches Longchen Nyingyik, but not with Khenpo Choga Rinpoche. If you have ever studied with both of them you will see they are very different. I think Lama Jigme Rinpoche has immense compassion and great spiritual power from a long life focused on practice, which is traditional to householder yogis (Ngakypas). I definitely recommend you reach out to him, he has been doing internet teachings on Sundays at 10:30am PST. If you subscribe to his websites email you will get the invite.
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

He does have a strong relation with Dodrupchen too

He is receiving a long life blessing from him here
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

Let me know if this resolved your questions
DewachenVagabond

jake5521 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:07 pm Let me know if this resolved your questions
While it is clear that Lama Jigme Namgyal Rinpoche is technically a legitimate teacher, it is still not clear to me that all of his claims are accurate, and Yagmort's comment gives me pause. At this point, unless more information comes to light, I do not think I'll be reaching out to this teacher for instruction. Actually, one of my lamas recently began giving me instructions on exactly what I wanted to approach Lama Jigme about, so I'm not as focused on meeting him or other teachers at this point.
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

That's great that you found a teacher with the teaching you were looking for, I rejoice. Try to keep your mind open, the same exact thing can happen to whatever teacher your receiving from now. What then? Every teacher you look at someone is saying something like "take him/her with a grain of salt". Just think about what comments make more sense, someone who doesn't know anything about the teacher versus someone who knows about the teacher. A large factor with this whole thread was that I didn't come earlier.

Namaste
Tashi delek
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

i had a word about this ngakpa with a senior nyingma ngakpa at mcleodganj and another tibetan who was translating. mcleodganj has a rather small tibetan community, so this senior nyingma ngakpa wasn't very comfortable answering my questions, but the translator guy being a close acquaintance of mine was a little more specific. i don't wanna dig into details so i just said "i got the impression it's better to take him with a grain of salt".
stay open, spread love
jake5521

Post by jake5521 »

I definitley recommend Lama Jigme Rinpoche, I have spent a lot of time learning from him and can say he is amazing. Even hard to understand ideas he explains with great ease. He is a great master of Dzogchen and from my side, I genuinely believe he is one with Guru Rinpoche. I can't say I have ever seen someone as charismatic or compassionate as him. Definitely try to reach out to him if you had a teaching you were interested in. He is pretty open about accepting students via Zoom right now with whatever they wanted to learn.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”