When does a day end?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

When does a day end?

Post by Tenma »

In terms of daily commitment and auspicious days, when does a day officially end and begin?
Is it really exactly at 12 AM in India and then 24 hours later, despite someone being in a different part of the world?
Is it when it’s exactly 12 AM in someone’s location’s local time?
Is it when the sun first rises?
How do the times work for holy days and one’s own daily commitment?
Malcolm

Re: When does a day end?

Post by Malcolm »

Tenma wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:04 pm In terms of daily commitment and auspicious days, when does a day officially end and begin?
Begins and ends at dawn.
Sennin

Post by Sennin »

:thanks:
Observe the difference between the Lord of All Victors, Padmasambhava, and the mahasiddhas of India and Tibet.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It’s relative to wherever you are.
Ultimately, there is no day or night.
It’s just where the shadow is.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

day begins at sunrise and shifts to night at sunset, making a daily period bethween sunrises.
Last edited by javier.espinoza.t on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I heard a teacher say that to count as part of a day's commitments, you must complete all practices before you go to bed.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

cjdevries wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 pm I heard a teacher say that to count as part of a day's commitments, you must complete all practices before you go to bed.
So if someone with a daily practice were in a place like the Arctic where the sun constantly shines for months before it finally sets, then the commitment would be to practice before one sleeps?
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

According to this teacher.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

fckw

Post by fckw »

cjdevries wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 pm I heard a teacher say that to count as part of a day's commitments, you must complete all practices before you go to bed.
There are practices recommended for midnight. Does that mean you must go to bed after midnight then?
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I don't know. I was just passing on what this teacher had said.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Jesus guys, this sounds like lawyering. What is going to happen next? We will create machines that will do our prayers instead of us on Saturday?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:15 am Jesus guys, this sounds like lawyering. What is going to happen next? We will create machines that will do our prayers instead of us on Saturday?
You referring to prayer wheels?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

fckw wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:33 am
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:15 am Jesus guys, this sounds like lawyering. What is going to happen next? We will create machines that will do our prayers instead of us on Saturday?
You referring to prayer wheels?
I was making a very sleepy attempt at a joke about how jewish people have a giant amount of inventions o work around the sabbat rules.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”