tibet dieteis are real or story

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
confusedlayman

tibet dieteis are real or story

Post by confusedlayman »

Is deity in tibets are humans who are reborn as deities or it is formed from imagination to induce adrenaline push or they are long term existing deities appear to masters and give instruction?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: tibet dieteis are real or story

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It may depend on which one you are talking about.
I think something to remember is that we all imagine who we are. We create our identities from our own imaginations. So, whether you imagine you are are you, or you visualize yourself as Avalokiteshvara, both are just your imagination
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I called out to Tara in a nightmare and a very tall lady appeared who had a big smile on her face; she radiated compassion and joy. She said "you call me, I come" very playfully. I have no doubt that it was Tara. She came with a big group of Buddhist monks who taught me about the importance of tenderness among other things. That was when I learned how important tenderness was, even though I had seen it exemplified by several Buddhist monks and the Dalai Lama, Karmapa, Thich Nhat Hanh, etc.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Hold on to that. If you don’t have a teacher find one that can help you get to know Tara. Ask Tara to lead you to the right teacher. You can worry about her real nature later. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

cjdevries wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm I called out to Tara in a nightmare and a very tall lady appeared who had a big smile on her face; she radiated compassion and joy. She said "you call me, I come" very playfully. I have no doubt that it was Tara. She came with a big group of Buddhist monks who taught me about the importance of tenderness among other things. That was when I learned how important tenderness was, even though I had seen it exemplified by several Buddhist monks and the Dalai Lama, Karmapa, Thich Nhat Hanh, etc.
beautiful!
AJP

Post by AJP »

cjdevries wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:24 pm I called out to Tara in a nightmare and a very tall lady appeared who had a big smile on her face; she radiated compassion and joy. She said "you call me, I come" very playfully. I have no doubt that it was Tara. She came with a big group of Buddhist monks who taught me about the importance of tenderness among other things. That was when I learned how important tenderness was, even though I had seen it exemplified by several Buddhist monks and the Dalai Lama, Karmapa, Thich Nhat Hanh, etc.
Pray to Tara!!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I had a similar experience with Tara, but not on a meatspace level. It occured on the mental level she talked to me and absolutely soothed my mind.
She's the great rescuer.

If and how she is real is not such an important question. Practicing her Sadhana, reciting her mantra, works. That's important to know, I think.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
heart

Post by heart »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 pm Is deity in tibets are humans who are reborn as deities or it is formed from imagination to induce adrenaline push or they are long term existing deities appear to masters and give instruction?
Most Tibetan deities comes from India. They are all manifestations of enlightenment with the only purpose of benefitting sentient beings. In order to get a grasp on deities in the Buddhist tradition you need an understanding about the three kayas.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Confusedlayman, are you real or a story?
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

Ayu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:40 am I had a similar experience with Tara, but not on a meatspace level. It occured on the mental level she talked to me and absolutely soothed my mind.
She's the great rescuer.

If and how she is real is not such an important question. Practicing her Sadhana, reciting her mantra, works. That's important to know, I think.
That is very cool. Yes, I've also had an experience of a bodhisattva calming my mind and coming to my mind stream in the waking state, giving me instruction. It was after I got home from a retreat. It was one of the Bodhisattvas that we had been supplicating in the sadhana from the retreat. I was very ill and she obviously knew that and came to me to reassure me.

I made a connection to Tara by listening to her mantra everyday and making offerings to her everyday. I think that made the karmic connection for her to come through so strongly.
"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche
Terma

Post by Terma »

Ayu wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:40 am I had a similar experience with Tara, but not on a meatspace level. It occured on the mental level she talked to me and absolutely soothed my mind.
She's the great rescuer.

I can also attest to this from my own personal experience. One of the other names used for Ayra Tara is "The Swift One".
haha

Post by haha »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 pm
One needs to distinguish between deity for meditation (Yidam) and meditation on bodhisattvas.

A prospective from sutta:
"Mahanama, you should develop this recollection of the devas while you are walking, while you are standing, while you are sitting, while you are lying down, while you are busy at work, while you are resting in your home crowded with children."

AN 11.13 Mahanama Sutta: To Mahanama (2)
For Tibetan prospective (that was useful for me):
The deity in Tantra is archetypal, but not all archetypal images become deities. A deity can be distinguished from other archetypal images by the power it becomes imbued with through meditation and devotional practice. A deity also carries great power behind its form because of its lineage of experience. When an archetypal image is given constant and focused meditative attention, it becomes imbued with far more power than it usually has. In this way we might turn many of our personal images into deities, but what gives them their effectiveness is the depth of concentrated awareness, devotion, and power that is projected upon them.
In my own practice, I focused for many years upon one deity, which gave me the chance to deepen my relationship to this deity's quality. It enabled an increasingly devotional opening to take place that felt rich and inspirational. The deity became the heart of my life for a long time, and all I did was oriented around this center. After some time, I found that I wanted to shift the emphasis, and so I developed a deep relationship to several other Action Tantra practices. This led to a style of practice that was able to respond to particular deities when they felt appropriate in different contexts and circumstances. It also meant that when there was a need for a specific quality, there was a deity I could call upon to support it. The deity practices thus become like a resource to draw upon when needed.
Rob Preece, (2006), The Psychology of Buddhist Tantra
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

haha wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:57 am
The deity in Tantra is archetypal, but not all archetypal images become deities. A deity can be distinguished from other archetypal images by the power it becomes imbued with through meditation and devotional practice. A deity also carries great power behind its form because of its lineage of experience. When an archetypal image is given constant and focused meditative attention, it becomes imbued with far more power than it usually has. In this way we might turn many of our personal images into deities, but what gives them their effectiveness is the depth of concentrated awareness, devotion, and power that is projected upon them.
In my own practice, I focused for many years upon one deity, which gave me the chance to deepen my relationship to this deity's quality. It enabled an increasingly devotional opening to take place that felt rich and inspirational. The deity became the heart of my life for a long time, and all I did was oriented around this center. After some time, I found that I wanted to shift the emphasis, and so I developed a deep relationship to several other Action Tantra practices. This led to a style of practice that was able to respond to particular deities when they felt appropriate in different contexts and circumstances. It also meant that when there was a need for a specific quality, there was a deity I could call upon to support it. The deity practices thus become like a resource to draw upon when needed.
This sounds wrong, and doesn't even sound like it's coming from a 'Tibetan' perspective at all.
haha

Post by haha »

Aryjna wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am

This sounds wrong, and doesn't even sound like it's coming from a 'Tibetan' perspective at all.
Sorry for misrepresenting him by quoting here. It is better to read whole book. "What here was quoted" is quoted for responding the original post (with my limited understanding).
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

haha wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:27 am
Aryjna wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:18 am
Sorry for misrepresenting him by quoting here. It is better to read whole book. "What here was quoted" is quoted for responding the original post (with my limited understanding).
I posted because it seems misleading to me (though I could be wrong perhaps) and thought it should not remain unqualified where someone can read it and take it for granted. Unless of course it is established later in the thread that what he is saying is correct.
monkishlife

Post by monkishlife »

A Tibetan Buddhist monk said that we should call out to Tara in moments of distress. I am so happy to hear that she came to you and gave you peace.

:namaste:
Könchok Chödrak

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

"Confused? Layman."

Aren't you a reincarnation of Confusious?

That is what I gather. Either way Deities are as real as whoever any Buddhist or Buddha is as real as. It takes an understanding beyond words to understand how a Deity is manifested in the flesh, but the realty is there, and in Tibetan Buddhism they are treated as very real.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Somehow this topic as well was finished and solved in June already. :shrug:
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”