Primordial Light Deity in the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Injrabodi

Primordial Light Deity in the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Post by Injrabodi »

In his essay covering the bardo realm and the Tibetan Book of the Dead, at one point Julius Evola mentions an encounter the recently deceased will have with "the absolute primordial light"-
After recovering from the "swoon" (i.e., death), consciousness
awakens in a state of supernatural lucidity and finally has the most
decisive experience, which strikes it with the power of a thunderbolt. This experience consists in the manifestation of the absolute,
primordial light. ("From the midst of that radiance, the natural
sound of reality, reverberating like a thousand thunders simultaneously sounding, will come."17) This is the real test. The I should
overcome all fears and be capable of identifying with this light,
since it shares its metaphysical nature. Being capable of this identification grants the achievement of the great liberation and the
realization of the unconditioned. Every karma and every residue is
eventually destroyed. The text says that this experience should be
like "meeting old acquaintances." The consequence of this identification is described as the unification - as the waters of a river flow
into the ocean" - of what was and was not acquired during one's
lifetime (knowledge and the amount of light that had been glimpsed,
the former; the totality of knowledge and of the light, the latter).

It is possible that this test may be unsuccessful, however. One
may be overcome by sheer terror and lack the spiritual courage, the
sacrificial elan, and the necessary lucidity for a quick identification
and for a total, instantaneous rejection of avidya (transcendental
ignorance). When one fails this first test, he goes from the chikaibardo to the second bardo, called chonyid-bardo
Does anyone know exactly what this light is in Vajrayana Buddhism? What's the word or name of this light? It's not a concept I've encountered in any other Buddhist literature, though it is something I've encountered in person.
javier.espinoza.t

Re: Primordial Light Deity in the Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

Injrabodi wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:40 am In his essay covering the bardo realm and the Tibetan Book of the Dead, at one point Julius Evola mentions an encounter the recently deceased will have with "the absolute primordial light"-
After recovering from the "swoon" (i.e., death), consciousness
awakens in a state of supernatural lucidity and finally has the most
decisive experience, which strikes it with the power of a thunderbolt. This experience consists in the manifestation of the absolute,
primordial light. ("From the midst of that radiance, the natural
sound of reality, reverberating like a thousand thunders simultaneously sounding, will come."17) This is the real test. The I should
overcome all fears and be capable of identifying with this light,
since it shares its metaphysical nature. Being capable of this identification grants the achievement of the great liberation and the
realization of the unconditioned. Every karma and every residue is
eventually destroyed. The text says that this experience should be
like "meeting old acquaintances." The consequence of this identification is described as the unification - as the waters of a river flow
into the ocean" - of what was and was not acquired during one's
lifetime (knowledge and the amount of light that had been glimpsed,
the former; the totality of knowledge and of the light, the latter).

It is possible that this test may be unsuccessful, however. One
may be overcome by sheer terror and lack the spiritual courage, the
sacrificial elan, and the necessary lucidity for a quick identification
and for a total, instantaneous rejection of avidya (transcendental
ignorance). When one fails this first test, he goes from the chikaibardo to the second bardo, called chonyid-bardo
Does anyone know exactly what this light is in Vajrayana Buddhism? What's the word or name of this light? It's not a concept I've encountered in any other Buddhist literature, though it is something I've encountered in person.
yes, it is a symbol. it's called "clear light", among other names. you can't find much information because in general no much people can relax enough for experiencing it.

if you want to know better you should find a good and experienced teacher and tell him this kind of things.
TsultimNamdak

Post by TsultimNamdak »

I would not recommend reading the works of an admirer of Heinrich Himmler in order to understand the Bardo teachings. Or for anything else, for that matter. There is plenty authentic material out there.
PSM

Post by PSM »

He's describing the bardo of dharmata. http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/bardo_of_dharmata

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”