Tiny plastic prayer wheel filling possibilities.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Tiny plastic prayer wheel filling possibilities.

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I have this very tiny plastic prayer wheel and I was thinking it would be nice to fill it a bit and use it as my traveling prayer wheel. What can it be filled with? I know that mani and other mantras for sure, but I thought maybe it would be nice to fill it with some text that is important for me, like 37 practices of bodhisattvas.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Charlie123

Re: Tiny plastic prayer wheel filling possibilities.

Post by Charlie123 »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 am Hi,

I have this very tiny plastic prayer wheel and I was thinking it would be nice to fill it a bit and use it as my traveling prayer wheel. What can it be filled with? I know that mani and other mantras for sure, but I thought maybe it would be nice to fill it with some text that is important for me, like 37 practices of bodhisattvas.
Using only mani mantras is excellent. Including any prayers or mantras you recite as a part of your daily practice is also good. Garchen Rinpoche includes the mantras of all the main deities practiced at GBI in the center's newest prayer wheels. It is definitely more than a dozen.

This is a qoute from Karma Chagme about the contents of his own prayer wheel:

"My personal prayer wheel has 108 pages. Among them, there are
7,200 mani mantras, 216 aspiration verses, 46 Deity and Consort secret mantras.
This prayer wheel is the essence of the Buddha’s dharma, therefore I urge everyone
to practice it. "
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

i'm reading in "wheel of great compassion" p 77, 79, from a comentary from Lama Gungtangpa (more details in the book)
It brings all benefits said to accrue from reading the respective texts...
...So, spinning a special mantra dharani several times with pure motivation can bring unimaginable benefits.

this commentary differs from others, in that it states that not only the mani mantra can be used.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

mandog wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:16 pm

Using only mani mantras is excellent. Including any prayers or mantras you recite as a part of your daily practice is also good. Garchen Rinpoche includes the mantras of all the main deities practiced at GBI in the center's newest prayer wheels. It is definitely more than a dozen.

This is a qoute from Karma Chagme about the contents of his own prayer wheel:

"My personal prayer wheel has 108 pages. Among them, there are
7,200 mani mantras, 216 aspiration verses, 46 Deity and Consort secret mantras.
This prayer wheel is the essence of the Buddha’s dharma, therefore I urge everyone
to practice it. "
Thank you mandog! I totally forgot about Karma Chagme's text about prayer wheels. I will have to look it up again.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:23 pm

i'm reading in "wheel of great compassion" p 77, 79, from a comentary from Lama Gungtangpa (more details in the book)
...So, spinning a special mantra dharani several times with pure motivation can bring unimaginable benefits.

this commentary differs from others, in that it states that not only the mani mantra can be used.
Thank you Javier! Do you know how it is with the earth and sky mandalas that FPMT says are supposed to be in the wheel? Mine is really small and the mandalas would not fit properly most probably.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:24 pm

Thank you Javier! Do you know how it is with the earth and sky mandalas that FPMT says are supposed to be in the wheel? Mine is really small and the mandalas would not fit properly most probably.
i see there is the mani syllables and the interdependence mantra in the earth and the mani and dyani seed in the sky. i don't know really if the disposition is important. i would use something in the same fashion but i really don' know.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:24 pm

if you give me the dimensions of your wheel i can fit the mandalas to it. or send you the file(it is just a .doc file) .

or to anyone who want to build a prayer wheel of course.

Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Necroposting. Don't think I need to create a separate thread for this.

Can someone help me with the sky and earth mandalas? I tried resizing them but they're either too small to read and the middle part gets wrecked by the stem or they're too big to fit. Any tips?
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Make sure you increase the DPI in your print settings for small text. And a laser printer will have higher resolution than ink jet, typically.
Namu Amida Butsu
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

For a while I was looking up prayer wheels. Some of them use microfilm to pack in millions of mantras into a single wheel. It would be interesting to see if you can do that for yourself.
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

明安 Myoan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 pm Make sure you increase the DPI in your print settings for small text. And a laser printer will have higher resolution than ink jet, typically.
That sucks. I have an inkjet and even with the highest possible settings the images are still bad lol.
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Inedible wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am For a while I was looking up prayer wheels. Some of them use microfilm to pack in millions of mantras into a single wheel. It would be interesting to see if you can do that for yourself.
Thinking of getting mantra microfilms, but I'm manually printing, cutting, and filling my prayer wheel for now lol. I'll say the good stuff when I buy a more expensive prayer wheel.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Chenda wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:12 am
明安 Myoan wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:21 pm Make sure you increase the DPI in your print settings for small text. And a laser printer will have higher resolution than ink jet, typically.
That sucks. I have an inkjet and even with the highest possible settings the images are still bad lol.
That may be the basic factor there.
However, if you're on Windows, you can try printing from within another program, like Word or Paint.net, and looking through the advanced printer settings.
The Picture Gallery (or whatever you call the default image viewing program) is aggressively bad at printing just about anything :lol:
Namu Amida Butsu

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”