How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
TMT
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 am

How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by TMT »

I have some second hand malas and offering bowls and pendants etc. How do I ensure they are safe to use? A similar topic on this forum has me worried and theres no safe way to get rid of them. They are from dharma friends.
Malcolm
Posts: 33841
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by Malcolm »

TMT wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 am I have some second hand malas and offering bowls and pendants etc. How do I ensure they are safe to use? A similar topic on this forum has me worried and theres no safe way to get rid of them. They are from dharma friends.
Gifts are different than buying something in a shop second hand, so don’t worry.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
TMT
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by TMT »

Oh thats a relief. I read some scary stuff concerning even drinking from the same water as someone who criticized your guru. Not that I have reason to think that happened but one never knows.
Hansei
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by Hansei »

TMT wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 am A similar topic on this forum has me worried and theres no safe way to get rid of them.
Could you please post the link to the other topic? I'm in a similar situation.
Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:40 am Gifts are different than buying something in a shop second hand, so don’t worry.
What if you receive something as a gift that was bought second hand inside your local gar? I would assume it was previously owned by a vajra brother or sister, but I can't really know, and I don't know what could the implications be.
User avatar
Mantrik
Former staff member
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm
Contact:

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by Mantrik »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:40 am
TMT wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 am I have some second hand malas and offering bowls and pendants etc. How do I ensure they are safe to use? A similar topic on this forum has me worried and theres no safe way to get rid of them. They are from dharma friends.
Gifts are different than buying something in a shop second hand, so don’t worry.
I've been told about advice in the Lama Gongdu about malas and restrictions........... for example if you have one from your lineage teacher it should not be used for recitations. Some of it seems a bit odd. Is it a case of simply following what your Guru teaches and ignoring such guidance?
http://www.khyung.com ཁྲོཾ

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)
SilenceMonkey
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:54 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:40 am
Gifts are different than buying something in a shop second hand, so don’t worry.
I don’t see how malas and objects would be pure and free from bad mojo just because they were a gift...
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

i discouraged a siblibg from buying instruments and texts from someone who abandoned practicing. i guess the situation is a bit different. your friends are practicing?
TMT
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by TMT »

Hansei wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:05 pm
TMT wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:02 am A similar topic on this forum has me worried and theres no safe way to get rid of them.
Could you please post the link to the other topic? I'm in a similar situation.
Malcolm wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:40 am Gifts are different than buying something in a shop second hand, so don’t worry.
What if you receive something as a gift that was bought second hand inside your local gar? I would assume it was previously owned by a vajra brother or sister, but I can't really know, and I don't know what could the implications be.

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=31366
Here's the thread that was a split from another. Idk which one it was that had me worried, the original or the split.
TMT
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:10 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by TMT »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:39 am i discouraged a siblibg from buying instruments and texts from someone who abandoned practicing. i guess the situation is a bit different. your friends are practicing?
Yes, good dharma friends who I think are virtuous and were very nurturing of my interest in dharma early on. I dont think there was ever any reason to worry looking back.
pemachophel
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by pemachophel »

You can purify second-hand objects (Dharma and other) by drib-sang, sang practice for removing drib/obscuration. In the Dudjom Tersar, there is a drib-sang prayer. Quite useful for removing all sorts of drib.

If there is suspected broken samaya, then I would use nol-sang. This practice is for that kind of pollution. There are also nol-sangs in the Dudjom Tersar.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
PeterC
Posts: 3064
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by PeterC »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm You can purify second-hand objects (Dharma and other) by drib-sang, sang practice for removing drib/obscuration. In the Dudjom Tersar, there is a drib-sang prayer. Quite useful for removing all sorts of drib.

If there is suspected broken samaya, then I would use nol-sang. This practice is for that kind of pollution. There are also nol-sangs in the Dudjom Tersar.
I'm curious - if you had an object that was previously owned by a samaya-breaker, would you do the purification and then use it, or would you just dispose of it appropriately (fire puja, etc.)? I had this issue a while back with a dharma object for which I went through all the procedures, but I still couldn't completely get rid of that association in my mind, and concluded that it was just better to be doing sadhanas using objects for which I had no doubts.
User avatar
tobes
Posts: 1857
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by tobes »

For me, this begs the question: is it (doubt, samaya pollution) in the object or the mind apprehending that object?
javier.espinoza.t
Posts: 2008
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:29 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

PeterC wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 am
pemachophel wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:53 pm You can purify second-hand objects (Dharma and other) by drib-sang, sang practice for removing drib/obscuration. In the Dudjom Tersar, there is a drib-sang prayer. Quite useful for removing all sorts of drib.

If there is suspected broken samaya, then I would use nol-sang. This practice is for that kind of pollution. There are also nol-sangs in the Dudjom Tersar.
I'm curious - if you had an object that was previously owned by a samaya-breaker, would you do the purification and then use it, or would you just dispose of it appropriately (fire puja, etc.)? I had this issue a while back with a dharma object for which I went through all the procedures, but I still couldn't completely get rid of that association in my mind, and concluded that it was just better to be doing sadhanas using objects for which I had no doubts.
get rid of it.

¿why insist so much on it?
PeterC
Posts: 3064
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by PeterC »

tobes wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 am For me, this begs the question: is it (doubt, samaya pollution) in the object or the mind apprehending that object?
Well yes. But substances and objects matter in tantric practice. I made my decision, but I was curious about what PC would do.
pemachophel
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by pemachophel »

If it was from a known samaya-breaker, I'd also just get rid of it.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
User avatar
lelopa
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by lelopa »

tobes wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:47 am For me, this begs the question: is it (doubt, samaya pollution) in the object or the mind apprehending that object?


:good:
The ancient translators - Kawa Paltseg, Vairocana - all concentrated on meaning, on the real sence. Even if the words do not correspond perfectly between Sanskrit & Tibetan, they concentrated more on the essence. Those who translated later concentrated more on the literal text, on the words.
ChNN
User avatar
practitioner
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by practitioner »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:27 pm If it was from a known samaya-breaker, I'd also just get rid of it.
Aren't we all samaya-breakers though?
One should do nothing other than benefit sentient beings either directly or indirectly - Shantideva
PeterC
Posts: 3064
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by PeterC »

practitioner wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:18 pm
pemachophel wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:27 pm If it was from a known samaya-breaker, I'd also just get rid of it.
Aren't we all samaya-breakers though?
It’s a matter of degree. There is a difference between someone whose practice falls short of the best they could do, and someone who intentionally goes against the wishes of their guru (or other things) with no intent or action to remedy that downfall
pemachophel
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Lafayette, CO

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, we are all samaya-breakers every day. But, if we recognize our mistake and purify it, no problem. Here were are referring to someone who has broken samaya and who has no intention of purifying it. This is something quite different.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
User avatar
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member
Posts: 2476
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: How can I purify second hand dharma objects?

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

We may all be samaya breakers but there is a difference between just being a practitioner beginner and really breaking samayas. There is a big difference between careless person that is honest and does their best and a person that intentionally hurts vajra siblings or even a vajra master knowing very well it is wrong. Unfortunately I know about few cases of such behaviour.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Post Reply

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”