Is Tara Buddhist Deity

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
heart

Re: Is Tara Buddhist Deity

Post by heart »

Norden wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm Can anyone tell the sourceof the origin of Tara? I have done my homework and as long as I can tell Tara is Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism. There are many Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism not just Tara. I am not sure why, maybe it's believed the practice or the deity has similar quality to Buddhist practice. But Tara is belong to both Hinduism and Buddhism.
We already answered you. The source for Tara is India. Feel free to resolve the riddle about what came first by yourself. :smile:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Taikor.Taikun

Post by Taikor.Taikun »

Norden wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am I don't know either her origins and also the practice of Tara, seems questionable to me, is this Buddhist practice? There are many stories going around.
We do puja in Tibetan Buddhist temples n centres. A rinpoche would lead the prayers. Buddhist enough?
AJP

Post by AJP »

What is important is development of Bodhicitta from the given practice.
AJP

Post by AJP »

All the Deities are expressions of unexcelled Bodhicitta in whatever form that takes.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”