Is Tara Buddhist Deity

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norden

Is Tara Buddhist Deity

Post by Norden »

Hi all,

Is Tara Buddhist or Hindu deity? I read somewhere Buddhist adopted some Hindu deities into the practice. But how far is this truth?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Is Tara Buddhist Deity

Post by Ayu »

In Buddhism it's a certain female Buddha. There might be some similarities in name or in other regards with Hindu dieties but they are not the same.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
heart

Post by heart »

Norden wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 am Hi all,

Is Tara Buddhist or Hindu deity? I read somewhere Buddhist adopted some Hindu deities into the practice. But how far is this truth?
It is both. No one knows if it first was Hindu or Buddhist. What is sure is that Tara have a very long history as a Buddhist deity.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Norden wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:56 am Hi all,

Deities may appear in both traditions but they often aren't the same thing. In the case of Tara, the origins are unclear. Buddhist lineages would not consider Tara figures in other Indic traditions to be the same thing that they practice.
fckw

Post by fckw »

It's unclear what is referred to as "Hindu" here. Shivaite tantrism maybe?
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Is Tara Buddhist or Hindu deity?
What is Tara?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

dolphin_color wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:03 pm
Is Tara Buddhist or Hindu deity?
What is Tara?
Tara is someone who knows she's empty.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
heart

Post by heart »

fckw wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:05 pm It's unclear what is referred to as "Hindu" here. Shivaite tantrism maybe?
Hinduism is not really a religion, it is a whole bunch of religions and spiritual paths.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

What I'm trying to say is that if she exists in some way, what difference does it make if religion X or religion Y claims her? She's there, in some sense. If the Druids worshiped a tree, does that make it a Drudic tree? Or is it just a tree? Does the worship have anything to do with the tree?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

dolphin_color wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:50 pm What I'm trying to say is that if she exists in some way, what difference does it make if religion X or religion Y claims her? She's there, in some sense. If the Druids worshiped a tree, does that make it a Drudic tree? Or is it just a tree? Does the worship have anything to do with the tree?
:good:
Norden

Post by Norden »

I don't know either her origins and also the practice of Tara, seems questionable to me, is this Buddhist practice? There are many stories going around.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Norden wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am I don't know either her origins and also the practice of Tara, seems questionable to me, is this Buddhist practice? There are many stories going around.
Heh, questionable. Let me put it this way. Practice of Tara is as Buddhist as it gets. Some of the first greatest masters practiced her, she was the main deity of such greats as Atisha and nowadays Garchen Rinpoche. That is enough for me.

As for her source, well she is a manifestation of enlightened energy. So her source is love and compassion, that is also why there are so many manifestations of her from the 21 manifestations to even Mother Mary being probably her manifestation according to some lamas.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Norden wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am I don't know either her origins and also the practice of Tara, seems questionable to me, is this Buddhist practice? There are many stories going around.
Tara practice is taught in the sutras and tantras of the Mahayana canon (both Tibetan and Chinese). As the lineages preserved in Tibetan, Nepalese, and Japanese Buddhist traditions show, Tara is an authentic Buddhist practice. It's up to you whether you believe what actual Buddhists have to say about what is a Buddhist practice or not.
heart

Post by heart »

I am sorry, what stories?

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

seems questionable to me
Why?
Norden

Post by Norden »

Can anyone tell the sourceof the origin of Tara? I have done my homework and as long as I can tell Tara is Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism. There are many Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism not just Tara. I am not sure why, maybe it's believed the practice or the deity has similar quality to Buddhist practice. But Tara is belong to both Hinduism and Buddhism.
Ignorant_Fool

Post by Ignorant_Fool »

Norden wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm Can anyone tell the sourceof the origin of Tara? I have done my homework and as long as I can tell Tara is Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism. There are many Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism not just Tara. I am not sure why, maybe it's believed the practice or the deity has similar quality to Buddhist practice. But Tara is belong to both Hinduism and Buddhism.
Why don't you ask her yourself? There are plenty of Tara practices out there that will allow you to make a connection with her quite easily. Some don't even require empowerment. :shrug:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Norden wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm Can anyone tell the sourceof the origin of Tara? I have done my homework and as long as I can tell Tara is Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism. There are many Hindu goddess adopted to Buddhism not just Tara. I am not sure why, maybe it's believed the practice or the deity has similar quality to Buddhist practice. But Tara is belong to both Hinduism and Buddhism.
I would say that it is not as clear as you might be thinking. https://www.academia.edu/27956232/The_J ... pp.101-120

https://www.academia.edu/11836474/The_G ... u_Tantrism
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

You might be surprised to learn that some followers of the Buddha were engaged in Tara practice before the Theravada school even existed..
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
jbaumannmontilla

Post by jbaumannmontilla »

A very useful book on the role of Tara in Hinduism is:

Tara in Hinduism: Study with Textual and Iconographical Documentation by Bikash Kumar Bhattacharya
https://www.amazon.com/Tara-Hinduism-Te ... 163&sr=8-1

And of course for Tara in Buddhist tradition:

In Praise of Tara: Songs to the Saviouress by Martin Willson
https://www.amazon.com/Praise-Tara-Song ... 406&sr=8-2

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”