Another Topic of molesting female practitioner

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
zerwe

Re: Another Topic of molesting female practitioner

Post by zerwe »

FPMT appears to have scrubbed Dagri Rinpoche from the website. I would not expect to
hear any kind of direct messaging, regarding the said accusations surrounding Dagri Rinpoche, from Lama Zopa any time soon as
he is currently conducting teachings, retreat and intitaitions in France.
Shaun
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

FPMT appears to have scrubbed Dagri Rinpoche from the website.
I'm unsure which website is referred to but this is still up...
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

如傑優婆塞 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 3:11 am
FPMT appears to have scrubbed Dagri Rinpoche from the website.
I'm unsure which website is referred to but this is still up...
Interesting. I was unable to find Dagri Rinpoche listed as a 'Touring Lama' on fpmt.org. I guess a search still will link to his bio page.
???? :shrug:
Shaun
如傑優婆塞

Post by 如傑優婆塞 »

Latest update & official statement from LDC FPMT
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Update from FPMT and Rinpcohe's advice:

Dagri Rinpoche has for many years been one of the Tibetan teachers on FPMT’s Tibetan Teachers List.

The Indian police last week received a formal complaint from a woman who was on a commercial airline flight with Dagri Rinpoche in India, accusing Dagri Rinpoche of inappropriate behaviour during the flight. Furthermore, another woman recently made allegations about misconduct by Dagri Rinpoche 10 years ago, which she shared via a YouTube video.

FPMT International Office understands that best practice is to suspend a teacher from teaching while an investigation is ongoing, in order to protect students, and the teacher. The investigation into what happened on the flight is currently being conducted by the Indian police.

We have therefore temporarily suspended Dagri Rinpoche from the FPMT Tibetan Teachers List with immediate effect, pending the conclusion of the police investigation. This means that Dagri Rinpoche may not teach, or be invited to teach, in any FPMT center during this suspension. FPMT teacher suspension does not indicate an assumption of guilt.

Dagri Rinpoche sent International Office this personal statement regarding the allegations.

Regarding the allegations made on YouTube, we have reached out directly to the woman who posted the video. In 2011, His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Private Office informed us that they had received an allegation by this woman against Dagri Rinpoche. The Private Office informed us that they had investigated the allegations, and that they had resolved the matter with the woman. They informed us that Dagri Rinpoche understood the seriousness of the allegations and committed to avoid situations which could give rise to similar allegations in the future.

Therefore, we maintained Dagri Rinpoche’s listing on the FPMT Tibetan Teachers List. However, we took our responsibility to students seriously, and alerted FPMT regional and national coordinators about the matter, asking them to inform any center which had invited or was planning to invite Dagri Rinpoche, so that they could consider their invitation in light of this information. We also took the opportunity to review FPMT policies and processes to see if any further amendments were needed to ensure the safety of students, teachers, and centers.

We sent a reminder about this to the coordinators last year, as we were told that talk was circulating about Dagri Rinpoche.

We have received no complaints about Dagri Rinpoche since 2011.

Our recent decision to suspend Dagri Rinpoche is consistent with the emphasis which the FPMT organization places on ethical behavior.

FPMT policies and guidelines are instituted to help individuals in positions of authority to uphold a safe, respectful environment in their local center, project, or service. These include:

Abiding within the Law
FPMT Ethical Policy
Grievance procedure guideline
Teacher Policy and guidelines, which help ensure that Dharma teachings are provided only by those who are qualified to teach Dharma (FPMT registered teachers)

Lama Zopa Rinpoche has given this advice for Dagri Rinpoche’s students on how to relate to this situation from a Dharma perspective.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche's Advice to Students of Dagri Rinpoche

If you wish to read FPMT International Office’s update regarding Dagri Rinpoche it is available here.
The following is Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s advice for students of Dagri Rinpoche.

From my understanding, in my view and according to my mind, Dagri Rinpoche is a very positive, holy being—definitely not an ordinary person.

One night a very long time ago at Tushita in Dharamsala, Dagri Rinpoche told me that he had a dream that he visited the pure land of Lama Tsongkhapa (Yiga Chozin). He was saying how unbelievably, unbelievably wonderful it was, with all the beautiful enjoyments and view, wow, wow, wow!

Then in Sera Je Monastery, when I was having dinner at his house, he told me another story. After he recited Rinjung Gyatso mantras, he led the pujas of the Hayagriva group in Sera Je. During the puja he himself was a huge Hayagriva and all the monks were very little. When he was telling me this, his way of expressing it was bringing himself down, saying that maybe he was hallucinating. These are just a few stories that I have heard. But this is definitely not an ordinary being, someone scared of death and the lower realms. That is one hundred percent certain. This is according to my personal view, according to my mind.

Therefore, I want to tell the students who have received initiations and teachings from Dagri Rinpoche that you should definitely one hundred percent rejoice, no matter what the world says, no matter if some people criticize him. Even after Buddha became enlightened, he showed the aspect of having pain in his foot when a piece of wood went through it. Buddha said that the suffering was the result of sexual misconduct with a woman in one of his past lives, a long time ago. Of course, even arhats, who haven’t achieved the five Mahayana paths, the ten Bhumis or the tantric path, don’t have pain. They are free from samsara, since they are totally free from delusions and karma, the cause of samsara. How is it possible for someone to experience pain, rebirth, old age, and death if they have totally ceased the cause of suffering? It then becomes that Buddha is not true and Buddha’s teachings are not true. It becomes like that. Numberless beings have become enlightened: yogi-pandits such as Sahara, Tilopa and Naropa, and many beings from all four sects of Tibetan Buddhism, including Padmasambhava and other Nyingma lamas, Marpa and Milarepa, the five great highly attained Sakya Lamas, Lama Tsongkhapa himself, and many others in the Gelug tradition. With this reasoning everything becomes not true.

Buddha showed the aspect of a piece of wood going into his foot and said that a long time ago, in one of his past lives, he committed sexual misconduct with a woman. He did this to show the karma to the disciples, to the sentient beings who are the objects to be subdued. So, Buddha himself showed suffering, even though he didn’t have suffering.

This also includes the present Dalai Lama. You can see that His Holiness the Dalai Lama is all that is explained by Buddha, the great yogi-pandits and Lama Tsongkhapa. You can see that his holy mind possesses all the qualities of the path. His holy mind has all the supreme qualities, all the inexpressible qualities beyond the path, that have been explained in the texts by Buddha and up to the present buddhas’, enlightened ones’, experiences, as well as being unbelievably practical and cherishing others like a mother cherishes her most beloved child. No matter whether someone is rich or poor, educated or uneducated, His Holiness sees everyone in the world as equal and gives the most practical advice. Now, even this would not be true. But here you can see this with your own eyes, so then how could you say that it’s not true. The incredible qualities of His Holiness’s gurus and so many other holy beings that you have seen would also not be true. You would then have to say that there are no holy beings. So, these mistakes would arise.

You can see for yourself that if you practice Buddhism—lamrim, for example—your mind has greater and greater peace and becomes more and more holy. How can you then say that even that doesn’t happen? It’s the same as saying that everything you did, everything you experienced, is a hallucination. Of course, this is not related to the view of true existence. The hallucination, in this case, is that nothing exists in mere name: suffering, the cause of suffering, cessation of suffering, the path. Nothing then exists: there’s no hell, no enlightenment, no karma, no samsara, no nirvana.

Then, in the sutra Meeting of the Father and Son, it says, “Buddha works for sentient beings by taking the costume of Indra, Brahmin, sometimes as mara, (but people in the world do not know this). He also shows the conduct, the costume, of a woman. Also, Buddha takes animal forms. There is no attachment but he shows attachment; there is no fear but he shows fear; there is no ignorance but he shows ignorance; there is no craziness but he shows craziness; there is no lameness but he shows being lame. In various aspects, Buddha works for sentient beings and subdues the minds of sentient beings.”

Please understand this. Even enlightened buddhas work for sentient beings like this. So we, including myself, need to see things as positive. From our minds, from our side, we have to try to see the positive side.

Otherwise, it means you don’t need to meditate, you don’t need to practice Dharma, from your side. Otherwise, why do you need to meditate? Why do you need to practice Dharma? Without needing to put effort from your side, you expect everything outside to be positive. To be able to see the Guru is numberless past, present, and future buddhas, to be able to realize that, you have to put effort from your own side.

That’s why Lama Tsongkhapa said in The Foundation of All Good Qualities:

The foundation of all good qualities is the kind and perfect, pure Guru;

Correct devotion to him is the root of the path.

By clearly seeing this and applying great effort,

Please bless me to rely upon him with great respect.

The verse says: “The kind, perfect guru is the basis of all good qualities and correctly following the virtuous friend is the root of the path to enlightenment. By seeing well, which means seeing the guru as numberless past, present, future buddhas, WITH MUCH EFFORT, please grant me blessings to be able to follow the guru with great devotion and respect.” So, this means from your own side, with great effort. Lama Tsongkhapa said this from his own experience.

Since we (myself, for example) don’t have that understanding, we expect that we don’t have to do anything from our side. We only expect to see the guru’s qualities, to see the guru as pure, as the essence of buddha, from outside. It doesn’t happen like this.

Even if you saw the person before as full of mistakes, after you make a Dharma connection with them, you need to practice the root of path to enlightenment: correctly following the virtuous friend. By training your mind in that, then you are able to see that is buddha, which means one who has totally ceased the gross and subtle obscurations and completed all the qualities. You then realize the root of the path to enlightenment: correctly following the virtuous friend. From there, you then actualize the graduated paths of the lower capable being, the middle capable being and then the higher capable being. Bodhichitta and then tantric realizations happen easily.

Guru Shakyamuni Buddha was enlightened eons ago, according to Mahayana, according to reality. Gelong Lekpai Garma, Buddha’s attendant, served Buddha for twenty-two years, but he always looked at Buddha as a liar. This was because one time when Buddha was on alms round, a young girl offered a handful of grain in Buddha’s begging bowl. At that time Buddha predicted that from that karma she would become enlightened as Buddha Tseme. Gelong Lekpai Garma thought that was a lie and that Buddha was just flattering her. He thought it was too much: “How is it possible for that to happen from offering one handful of grain?” So, for his whole life he saw Buddha as a liar and as an ordinary being. Buddha was a buddha, but he never saw him as a buddha. He had more faith in his Hindu guru. One time his Hindu guru was sick and Buddha advised his Hindu guru not to eat brown sugar. Gelong Lekpai Garma didn’t believe Buddha, he thought he was lying, so he offered his Hindu guru brown sugar. His Hindu guru died and was reborn as a preta; one time this preta made a sound as Buddha was walking by on a road. When Gelong Lekpai Garma died, he was reborn in the hell realms for eons. It is important to know these stories.

Thank you very much. Have no regrets. The only thing is to enjoy life, which is very short and can be ended at any time.

Thank you very much,

Lama Zopa Rinpoche

May 12, 2019, Lavaur, France. Scribe: Ven. Holly Ansett, edited by Ven. Ailsa Cameron.
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

FPMT International Office understands that best practice is to suspend a teacher from teaching while an investigation is ongoing, in order to protect students, and the teacher. The investigation into what happened on the flight is currently being conducted by the Indian police.

We have therefore temporarily suspended Dagri Rinpoche from the FPMT Tibetan Teachers List with immediate effect, pending the conclusion of the police investigation. This means that Dagri Rinpoche may not teach, or be invited to teach, in any FPMT center during this suspension. FPMT teacher suspension does not indicate an assumption of guilt.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

zerwe wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:30 pm

The link in case anyone wants to see it on the website:
https://fpmt.org/fpmt-community-news/st ... -rinpoche/
The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

Actually, i wanted to waiting for H.H Dalai lama office`s reacts about Dagri rinpoche`s issue.
But you guys seems like to just want to hide this issue as usual.
So, i have decided to stand for Kunsang who was a nun in the Dharamsala 10 years ago.
I, myself, i had already forgave the Dagri rinpoche.
But i write this post for other victims.
Because they seems like still experience the hardships.
I was an one of victims of Dagri rinpoche.
My Tibetan name is a Karma Yangchen, Yangchen Dolma or Thupten Dolma.
I get a name of Thupten Dolma from a Dagri rinpoche.
I was in India between 2005 to 2009.
I was a Sarah college student in the Dharamsala.
One day, when i was visited to the Dagri rinpoche`s place near by the H.H Dalai lama`s place, Dagri rinpoche hand has grabbed the my breast.
I asked to him with cold voice, "Is it good?"
And he answered to me "Yes."
I had to just left away from his place.
Because i neeed to protect myself.
However, many kinds of thoughts were raised in that moments.
Could it be a bad karma for myself?
Did i carelessly let his hands stopped?
I wanted to informend it to H.H Dalai lama`s offfice.
But H.H Dalai lama`s offfice told me that just H.H Dalai lama is very busy.
I wanted to let this accident to informed a rinpoche who belonged to Geluk lineage.
So, i went to the Ling rinpoche`s place.
But he tolds me just "It is really bad thing."
Then..... nothing happend.
So, i was very frustrated.
So, this happening became a cause to let me go back to the Korea.
I shared this stories with Julia Wilson, Tenzin Weigyel, Paldron Hyoam and etcs 10 years ago.
Can you guess how suffered i was?
I had to blamed several rinpoches and H.H Karmapa rinpoche including H.H Dalai lama.
Because i thought they didn`t really protect me as a their disciple.
Now, i am still a buddhist, married in Korea and have a daughter.
As i already mentioned, i had already forgave the Dagri rinpoche.
But still there have some victims, i have decided to stand for them.
I can understand how precious your guru is.
I can understand why you want to strand for your rinpoche.
But i just wish that you could understood the victims `s suffering either.
And i think that i need to stand for victims in this moment.
I don`t want any repay.
And actually, no one can repay for my past sufferings.
They were already gone in my mind.
But if you are trying to ignore the Kunsang`s sufferings...
(who was a buddhist nun 10 years ago)
I won`t just stay calm.
Because she is a precious being as a your rinpoche.

Not only two people but many. I was myself very near the situation, at that time, many of my friends were abused by Dagri Rinpoche --most nuns that lived in the same place as me, near Dharamsala─ so now more people are also standing up and explaining they've been also abused by Dagri Rinpoche. They have asked for help to high lamas and other people in Dharma. Nobody did anything about, so this kind of abuse has been continuously perpetrated for years and it should be addressed and victims need a public acknowledge.
https://www.facebook.com/celia.gradin?f ... jaC1J1_MtO
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

zerwe wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:21 pm Update from FPMT and Rinpcohe's advice:

Dagri Rinpoche has for many years been one of the Tibetan teachers on FPMT’s Tibetan Teachers List.

The Indian police last week received a formal complaint from a woman who was on a commercial airline flight with Dagri Rinpoche in India, accusing Dagri Rinpoche of inappropriate behaviour during the flight. Furthermore, another woman recently made allegations about misconduct by Dagri Rinpoche 10 years ago, which she shared via a YouTube video.

Dagri Rinpoche sent International Office this personal statement regarding the allegations.

Regarding the allegations made on YouTube, we have reached out directly to the woman who posted the video. In 2011, His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Private Office informed us that they had received an allegation by this woman against Dagri Rinpoche. The Private Office informed us that they had investigated the allegations, and that they had resolved the matter with the woman. They informed us that Dagri Rinpoche understood the seriousness of the allegations and committed to avoid situations which could give rise to similar allegations in the future.

Therefore, we maintained Dagri Rinpoche’s listing on the FPMT Tibetan Teachers List. However, we took our responsibility to students seriously, and alerted FPMT regional and national coordinators about the matter, asking them to inform any center which had invited or was planning to invite Dagri Rinpoche, so that they could consider their invitation in light of this information. We also took the opportunity to review FPMT policies and processes to see if any further amendments were needed to ensure the safety of students, teachers, and centers.

We sent a reminder about this to the coordinators last year, as we were told that talk was circulating about Dagri Rinpoche.

We have received no complaints about Dagri Rinpoche since 2011.

Our recent decision to suspend Dagri Rinpoche is consistent with the emphasis which the FPMT organization places on ethical behavior.

FPMT policies and guidelines are instituted to help individuals in positions of authority to uphold a safe, respectful environment in their local center, project, or service. These include:

Abiding within the Law
FPMT Ethical Policy
Grievance procedure guideline
Teacher Policy and guidelines, which help ensure that Dharma teachings are provided only by those who are qualified to teach Dharma (FPMT registered teachers)

Lama Zopa Rinpoche has given this advice for Dagri Rinpoche’s students on how to relate to this situation from a Dharma perspective.

Lama Zopa Rinpoche's Advice to Students of Dagri Rinpoche

If you wish to read FPMT International Office’s update regarding Dagri Rinpoche it is available here.
The following is Lama Zopa Rinpoche’s advice for students of Dagri Rinpoche.

From my understanding, in my view and according to my mind, Dagri Rinpoche is a very positive, holy being—definitely not an ordinary person.

One night a very long time ago at Tushita in Dharamsala, Dagri Rinpoche told me that he had a dream that he visited the pure land of Lama Tsongkhapa (Yiga Chozin). He was saying how unbelievably, unbelievably wonderful it was, with all the beautiful enjoyments and view, wow, wow, wow!

Then in Sera Je Monastery, when I was having dinner at his house, he told me another story. After he recited Rinjung Gyatso mantras, he led the pujas of the Hayagriva group in Sera Je. During the puja he himself was a huge Hayagriva and all the monks were very little. When he was telling me this, his way of expressing it was bringing himself down, saying that maybe he was hallucinating. These are just a few stories that I have heard. But this is definitely not an ordinary being, someone scared of death and the lower realms. That is one hundred percent certain. This is according to my personal view, according to my mind.

Therefore, I want to tell the students who have received initiations and teachings from Dagri Rinpoche that you should definitely one hundred percent rejoice, no matter what the world says, no matter if some people criticize him. Even after Buddha became enlightened, he showed the aspect of having pain in his foot when a piece of wood went through it. Buddha said that the suffering was the result of sexual misconduct with a woman in one of his past lives, a long time ago. Of course, even arhats, who haven’t achieved the five Mahayana paths, the ten Bhumis or the tantric path, don’t have pain. They are free from samsara, since they are totally free from delusions and karma, the cause of samsara. How is it possible for someone to experience pain, rebirth, old age, and death if they have totally ceased the cause of suffering? It then becomes that Buddha is not true and Buddha’s teachings are not true. It becomes like that. Numberless beings have become enlightened: yogi-pandits such as Sahara, Tilopa and Naropa, and many beings from all four sects of Tibetan Buddhism, including Padmasambhava and other Nyingma lamas, Marpa and Milarepa, the five great highly attained Sakya Lamas, Lama Tsongkhapa himself, and many others in the Gelug tradition. With this reasoning everything becomes not true.

Buddha showed the aspect of a piece of wood going into his foot and said that a long time ago, in one of his past lives, he committed sexual misconduct with a woman. He did this to show the karma to the disciples, to the sentient beings who are the objects to be subdued. So, Buddha himself showed suffering, even though he didn’t have suffering.

This also includes the present Dalai Lama. You can see that His Holiness the Dalai Lama is all that is explained by Buddha, the great yogi-pandits and Lama Tsongkhapa. You can see that his holy mind possesses all the qualities of the path. His holy mind has all the supreme qualities, all the inexpressible qualities beyond the path, that have been explained in the texts by Buddha and up to the present buddhas’, enlightened ones’, experiences, as well as being unbelievably practical and cherishing others like a mother cherishes her most beloved child. No matter whether someone is rich or poor, educated or uneducated, His Holiness sees everyone in the world as equal and gives the most practical advice. Now, even this would not be true. But here you can see this with your own eyes, so then how could you say that it’s not true. The incredible qualities of His Holiness’s gurus and so many other holy beings that you have seen would also not be true. You would then have to say that there are no holy beings. So, these mistakes would arise.

You can see for yourself that if you practice Buddhism—lamrim, for example—your mind has greater and greater peace and becomes more and more holy. How can you then say that even that doesn’t happen? It’s the same as saying that everything you did, everything you experienced, is a hallucination. Of course, this is not related to the view of true existence. The hallucination, in this case, is that nothing exists in mere name: suffering, the cause of suffering, cessation of suffering, the path. Nothing then exists: there’s no hell, no enlightenment, no karma, no samsara, no nirvana.

Then, in the sutra Meeting of the Father and Son, it says, “Buddha works for sentient beings by taking the costume of Indra, Brahmin, sometimes as mara, (but people in the world do not know this). He also shows the conduct, the costume, of a woman. Also, Buddha takes animal forms. There is no attachment but he shows attachment; there is no fear but he shows fear; there is no ignorance but he shows ignorance; there is no craziness but he shows craziness; there is no lameness but he shows being lame. In various aspects, Buddha works for sentient beings and subdues the minds of sentient beings.”

Please understand this. Even enlightened buddhas work for sentient beings like this. So we, including myself, need to see things as positive. From our minds, from our side, we have to try to see the positive side.

Otherwise, it means you don’t need to meditate, you don’t need to practice Dharma, from your side. Otherwise, why do you need to meditate? Why do you need to practice Dharma? Without needing to put effort from your side, you expect everything outside to be positive. To be able to see the Guru is numberless past, present, and future buddhas, to be able to realize that, you have to put effort from your own side.

That’s why Lama Tsongkhapa said in The Foundation of All Good Qualities:

The foundation of all good qualities is the kind and perfect, pure Guru;

Correct devotion to him is the root of the path.

By clearly seeing this and applying great effort,

Please bless me to rely upon him with great respect.

The verse says: “The kind, perfect guru is the basis of all good qualities and correctly following the virtuous friend is the root of the path to enlightenment. By seeing well, which means seeing the guru as numberless past, present, future buddhas, WITH MUCH EFFORT, please grant me blessings to be able to follow the guru with great devotion and respect.” So, this means from your own side, with great effort. Lama Tsongkhapa said this from his own experience.

Since we (myself, for example) don’t have that understanding, we expect that we don’t have to do anything from our side. We only expect to see the guru’s qualities, to see the guru as pure, as the essence of buddha, from outside. It doesn’t happen like this.

Even if you saw the person before as full of mistakes, after you make a Dharma connection with them, you need to practice the root of path to enlightenment: correctly following the virtuous friend. By training your mind in that, then you are able to see that is buddha, which means one who has totally ceased the gross and subtle obscurations and completed all the qualities. You then realize the root of the path to enlightenment: correctly following the virtuous friend. From there, you then actualize the graduated paths of the lower capable being, the middle capable being and then the higher capable being. Bodhichitta and then tantric realizations happen easily.

Guru Shakyamuni Buddha was enlightened eons ago, according to Mahayana, according to reality. Gelong Lekpai Garma, Buddha’s attendant, served Buddha for twenty-two years, but he always looked at Buddha as a liar. This was because one time when Buddha was on alms round, a young girl offered a handful of grain in Buddha’s begging bowl. At that time Buddha predicted that from that karma she would become enlightened as Buddha Tseme. Gelong Lekpai Garma thought that was a lie and that Buddha was just flattering her. He thought it was too much: “How is it possible for that to happen from offering one handful of grain?” So, for his whole life he saw Buddha as a liar and as an ordinary being. Buddha was a buddha, but he never saw him as a buddha. He had more faith in his Hindu guru. One time his Hindu guru was sick and Buddha advised his Hindu guru not to eat brown sugar. Gelong Lekpai Garma didn’t believe Buddha, he thought he was lying, so he offered his Hindu guru brown sugar. His Hindu guru died and was reborn as a preta; one time this preta made a sound as Buddha was walking by on a road. When Gelong Lekpai Garma died, he was reborn in the hell realms for eons. It is important to know these stories.

Thank you very much. Have no regrets. The only thing is to enjoy life, which is very short and can be ended at any time.

Thank you very much,

Lama Zopa Rinpoche

May 12, 2019, Lavaur, France. Scribe: Ven. Holly Ansett, edited by Ven. Ailsa Cameron.
:good:
crazy-man

Post by crazy-man »

news:
https://www.tibetsun.com/news/2019/05/1 ... -innocence
https://www.lionsroar.com/prominent-bud ... -rinpoche/
https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/tibet ... llegations

Response from Jakaira Perez Valdivia - Kunsang to Mr. Dagri and Mr. Zopa public statements:
Spain, May 2019
I write this in response to Dagri R public statement, his monastery's letter, to the update posted on the FPMT site, and Lama Zopa's advice.
Honestly I have been repeating myself for years, trying to take this to all sort of different instances and being blamed and shamed again and
again, starting from Dagri's own lies against me in order to protect his reputation, which he's doing all over again without the slightest regret or
embarrassment. His attitude is the result of an entire life getting away with molesting students and devotees around the world due to the silence
and complicity of some institutions and of the Tibetan system itself.
The part of Dagri's statement when he talks about me, starts by discrediting me, saying that I experienced "physical and mental problems". I
had a physical problem and, as far as I'm concerned, we all experience some degree of mental distress until we achieve the higher grounds.. but
we cannot deny that what he is trying to say is that I am crazy. He told that to several others years ago. Today he is doing the same, instead of
apologising he's blaming and discrediting the victims, the oldest method proved effective to get away with abuse. If I was crazy or mentally
unstable at that time, HHDL probably wouldn't have sent me as the official Spanish translator of the Kalachakra initiation and teachings in
Washington 2011 and the following Kalachakra in Bodhgaya, as well as many other teachings I translated for years into different languages. I have
extensive intellectual and academic experience, enough to prove my intelligence, but getting into details about this would be insulting as I am
obviously not crazy. Furthermore, even if a person was crazy, he or she would still have the right to be heard and protected.
Then the abuser says I spoke up after three years from the incident. That is a lie, look at the date in my statutory declaration (attached), it says
2008. Look at the police stamp at the end of the declaration, it says 11/11/2010. It took me one and a half years to start recovering from the shock
and talking about it. Everybody knows that when these situations happen, it can take many many years if not an entire life for the victim to even be
able to start talking about it, so the time here should not be of any importance or diminish the seriousness of the matter. After talking with some
friends and sisters, I was finally advised in October 2010 by Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo to proceed the way I did. Finally I went to Kangra police to do
the statement one month later.
Then he says the there was a meeting with the two of us and six witnesses, that is a lie too. At the meeting there were him and his attendant,
me and my friend Karma Yeshe, Chime-la from HHDLs office, and a Tibetan person taking notes. These are not 6 witnesses as you can see.
I also have no idea of what he means by 'clarifying the truth', as the meeting was for him to apologise to me, which he did, and not the other
way around as he tried to make others believe and still is. Please see the statement from my witness Karma Yeshe.
Regarding the update about Dagri R on the FPMT website, I am happily surprised to hear that some sort of measures of this kind were finally
taken this time. But I also have to disagree with some of the points, which maybe due to lack of information were made. For example where it says
'The Private Office informed us that they had investigated the allegations, and that they had resolved the matter' I'm really curious to know what the
FPMT and HHDLs office mean by 'investigated' and by 'solved'. How do you 'solve' molestation or abuse? The very minimum from the abuser's
side would be to acknowledge the wrongdoing, apologising, have the determination not to do it again... and from the institution side, at least
retrieve the support to the abuser and stop promoting him around the world. When the Office told the FPMT that the matter had been solved, did
they say I dropped the allegations? I have never dropped the allegations as I will never take back my statutory declaration, did the FPMT even
read it? How could I possibly take all that back? I didn't and I won't cause it's the truth. So just to be clear, the charges were never dropped cause
I didn't press charges, because he apologised and promise not to repeat his behaviour again. The allegations were never dropped cause what
happened is what happened and it cannot be modified, my written police statement is not an opinion but a description of facts. Was it correct to
keep promoting Dagri, even if the office said that the 'matter was solved', when a statement like this was issued and never retracted? Did the FPMT
ever thought of asking me or the other victims how we felt about this?
In the update on FPMTs website it mentions only the Indian woman and me, even though there were other incidents before and after me, the
newest victim to speak up is this Korean woman Shin Young Sun who used to be a student in Sarah College:
https://m.facebook.com/yeongseons/posts ... 4479759598. But there have been several other allegations before. Even tulkus XXX and XXX
have had they say about Dagri's misbehaviour since the 80's and they weren't heard or were criticised, until the issue was forgotten. There is one
anonymous testimony from another nun victim which was sent to FPMT executive dated 2010, and correspondence where he acknowledges an
incident which he had kept confidential. There was also a complaint about Dagri R from my friend, Australian lawyer XXX related to my case in
2013 which means there were other complaints after 2011. Due to all these different testimonies that were sent to this organisation, I feel quite
sad that this issue is still being treated as if the only unfortunate incidents happened to the Indian lady on the plane and to me, and that while we
are being doubted Dagri's innocence is still implied as a clear possibility! That is not the case and FPMT knew about this. The fact that some victims
wished to remain anonymous doesn't mean that the molestation didn't happen or that it can be kept secret, but that is exactly what happened,
manipulation, secrecy and fear.
*Please notice that being silent about abuse and continue to hire a molester with multiple allegations, makes the institutions who have promoted
him liable for the damage caused to the victims*
After all this, none of us have even received a single apology or acknowledgement of wrongdoing from Dagri R, all the opposite, and no
institution has taken any responsibility for this, or validated me as a victim or as someone who has spoken the truth. All that me and other nuns
and friends who supported us have received is blame, shame, threats and slander (now some are even trying to make others believe that victims
and witnesses are nothing but a conspiracy from the DorjeShugden group! ridiculous!), to the point that many still now are scared and become
frozen when it comes to speak up. I cannot even begin to tell how all this has forever affected my life and my relation with the Dharma, and there's
no need 'cause most people provided with a little empathy can imagine that.
Regarding Tsawa Khangtsen's letter about the issue, it's ridiculous to try and discredit all the victims, witnesses and supporters, saying that
they are followers of Dorje Shugden possessed by the forces of Mara...And about Lama Zopa's advice, it's embarrassing and outrageous, an explicit karma-based threat filled with fantastic stories of deities and pure lands, which excuses the abuser from any 'appearance' of misconduct that he may manifest. A group of Buddhist practitioners and teacher from around the world has started this petition to request to the FPMT to commission a third
party investigation on the matter so that victims who wish to remain anonymous can speak up, please help us by signing this:
http://chng.it/L8BGfrf7Bs
Here's the letter which explains the petition:
This is my witness Karma Yeshe's statement about the meeting:
Here the FPMT's update: https://fpmt.org/fpmt-community-news/st ... -rinpoche/
Lama Zopa's advice: https://fpmt.org/lama-zopa-rinpoche-new ... -rinpoche/
Seraje's tsawa khangtsen's statement:
Dagri R's statement: https://fpmt.app.box.com/s/6flpt7b4hm2b ... nd501h75i6
My video statement with links to the police statement:
Best regards to everyone and thank you for the overwhelming support we've received in the last days
Jakaira Perez Valdivia - Kunsang
gb9810

Post by gb9810 »

thanks for the update crazy-man!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm really getting tired of people pretending to be celibate to scam a living out of the gullible.
kajibabu

Post by kajibabu »

I am just wondering how people are shouting here just in one direction. There is no doubt the teacher is highly responsible and as if the incident come true he must face high punishment in all ways. But I don't see only the Lama is responsible for this case while reading the 4 pages complaint that lady named 'Jaki' filed in police office. She had supported him to bring this incident knowingly or unknowingly or with the hope of some kind of favor. Otherwise why did not she come out of his room when she felt suspect or uncomfortable in his behavior after locking the door or other movements, why she was even following Lama even after the massage to participate in some other events later and receiving money from him... Either she was gullible or she lost her common sense...

With this incident,,, there is very high chance that Lama is a predator or a sexually sick person. But the lady is also responsible.
Babu, from Nepal
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

kajibabu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm I am just wondering how people are shouting here just in one direction. There is no doubt the teacher is highly responsible and as if the incident come true he must face high punishment in all ways. But I don't see only the Lama is responsible for this case while reading the 4 pages complaint that lady named 'Jaki' filed in police office. She had supported him to bring this incident knowingly or unknowingly or with the hope of some kind of favor. Otherwise why did not she come out of his room when she felt suspect or uncomfortable in his behavior after locking the door or other movements, why she was even following Lama even after the massage to participate in some other events later and receiving money from him... Either she was gullible or she lost her common sense...

With this incident,,, there is very high chance that Lama is a predator or a sexually sick person. But the lady is also responsible.
because of fear? haven't you felt fear of doing the right thing at cost of you own resources ever?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

Although in certain cases where abuse ends up happening we may find some degree of shared responsibility for the outcome, in the particular case of it happening in a guru/student relationship, I think we can't use the same standard. Even if a student is very seductive and wants to have sex with his lama,, the teacher should always examine his own motivations and the skill of his own actions. A Dharma teacher is such 24/7. If a person isn't up to the task, it's better not to take students.

Even if the woman threw herself under the lama, a qualified teacher should've known better. This person should retire in the least. Justice should run its course. Other teachers, if recognizing themselves in his conduct, should step down too, before something worse happens. Someone with a small amount of bodhicitta would never have caused this. Without at least earth like bodhicitta, taking students is reckless and dangerous for all involved.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Dechen Norbu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:15 pm Although in certain cases where abuse ends up happening we may find some degree of shared responsibility for the outcome, in the particular case of it happening in a guru/student relationship, I think we can't use the same standard. Even if a student is very seductive and wants to have sex with his lama,, the teacher should always examine his own motivations and the skill of his own actions. A Dharma teacher is such 24/7. If a person isn't up to the task, it's better not to take students.

Even if the female threw herself under the lama, a qualified teacher should've known better. This person should retire in the least. Justice should run its course. Other teachers, if recognizing themselves in his conduct, should step down too, before something worse happens. Someone with a small amount of bodhicitta would never have caused this. Without at least earth like bodhicitta, taking students is reckless and dangerous for all involved.
I agree. Rinpoches get tons of offers. If you want a public office as a very pure monk and an embodiment of the teachings to make a living you can't have it both ways. Be a nagpa and make a living as a Tantric magician. But then your money is based on results, not tricking the gullible. So this is really about money, sex and power of someone consumed by worldly Dharmas. Getting all rapey with a 23 year old nun or grabbing strangers lady bits on a plane is unacceptable. It's not like he was even being discreet with consensual consorts. He simply doesn't have what it takes.
Dechen Norbu

Post by Dechen Norbu »

It takes some realization to be a teacher, especially in Vajrayana where things can go sour pretty fast.
Not having it while taking students is the stupidest move possible. Beyond being a case of a blind leading the blind, things tend to get messy all around. Making a living out of Dharma is also an unsuitable motivation. The only motivation must be bodhicitta. But as lamas also have to eat, dress and so on, donations, fees and so on, within reason, are necessary.
kajibabu

Post by kajibabu »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm
kajibabu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:15 pm I am just wondering how people are shouting here just in one direction. There is no doubt the teacher is highly responsible and as if the incident come true he must face high punishment in all ways. But I don't see only the Lama is responsible for this case while reading the 4 pages complaint that lady named 'Jaki' filed in police office. She had supported him to bring this incident knowingly or unknowingly or with the hope of some kind of favor. Otherwise why did not she come out of his room when she felt suspect or uncomfortable in his behavior after locking the door or other movements, why she was even following Lama even after the massage to participate in some other events later and receiving money from him... Either she was gullible or she lost her common sense...

because of fear? haven't you felt fear of doing the right thing at cost of you own resources ever?

Fear? threat of life? If so,, how would she drag him to the court of Dalai Lama (Office of Dalai Lama)? Just let you know, I am not defending Dagri Rinpoche. With the report of meeting to resolve this issue, I just can use my common sense that Lama exploited the situation for his benefit (sexual advancement) which he should not do as being a highly respected teacher to many. I am just drawing my views from the information what came out in the media which often come as one directional.
Babu, from Nepal
kajibabu

Post by kajibabu »

kajibabu wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:01 pm

Fear? threat of life? If so,, how would she drag him to the court of Dalai Lama (Office of Dalai Lama)? Just let you know, I am not defending Dagri Rinpoche. With the report of meeting to resolve this issue, I just can use my common sense that Lama exploited the situation for his benefit (sexual advancement) which he should not do as being a highly respected teacher to many. I am just drawing my views from the information what came out in the media which often come as one directional.

I just like to address the issue as HE Khandro Rinpoche had addressed such issues as
https://buddhism-controversy-blog.com/2 ... tradition/

Use your common sense to protect yourself and all. She is not defending the teacher has done right, of course, there are many predators - Charlatans etc. .. but you should be aware of not becoming a victim...
Babu, from Nepal

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”