Question for those who carry a mala in daily life

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
SunWuKong

Re: Question for those who carry a mala in daily life

Post by SunWuKong »

Simon E. wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 pm
Mantrik wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm
Simon E. wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:03 pm A quotation comes to mind, which I think is accurate, but unfortunately I can't recall it's source..Maybe Gore Vidal?
"Hippies, whose rejection of money is equalled only by their love of what it buys".
In my experience, especially true when the money was a Govt benefit. Spending their dole money brought special glee. Things don't change - a certain 'spiritual' cult has a property portfolio worth millions built on benefits - monky business.;)

I was a bit young to trot off to India in the 1960's and don't recall having a mala, but definitely had an Afghan coat (which stank to high heaven as it was a souvenir from WW2 which my father brought back - a heady combination of uncured hide and mothballs, to which patchouli was added).
Come to think of it I didn't see anyone with a mala in the 1960's - maybe Hendrix? Far too busy seeking out the elusive free love, man. :)
I think I mentioned to you that we lived in Glastonbury for a couple of years. Fridays were known as 'Freaky' Fridays because the local hippie population of 'spiritual seekers' (cough) received their benefits on Thursday then wandered around for a day or two with glazed eyes and a fixed grin.. :smile:
I feel much more comfortable there than around a sangha so high-priced that I'm ashamed to go to a meeting, that promotes "professionals" before they do their own sangha. That looks at me like I'm WRONG to wear a mala. haha.. if someone want to go totally Buddhist, shave their ass and learn to walk backwards I'm all for it, dissillusioned with the samsara, tired of the BS. A lot of my '60's friend thought i was a hippie, i know (I only tried the weed and acid) but i was so much more into Free Speech, participatory Democracy, traditional American Transcendentalism (Whitman, Thoreau, Emerson) art, and music. My sister was an India scholar and sent me my first mala beads, which i totally wore out. I met many hippie yogis back in the day. The world has changed, i miss it. Boulder was crazy to Simon, we moved there in 1976, i remeber one shop had a huge mala made from guru thighbones. (so they claimed) - i actually bought the inventory when the bead shop went out of business, i'm still a bead trader
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Terma

Post by Terma »

Simon E. wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:26 am :good:

One of many points of difference between Tibetan Dharma folk and western converts.
Another being that if they see you with a mala or other signs of practice Tibetans will ask in a friendly way who your teacher is.
Try that on some Buddhist forums and the reaction will be like you have asked for a look at their bank statement... :smile:
We have made it another expression of our individuality..
To be fair Simon, some have been told that for Vajrayana practitioners it is best not to reveal who one's Guru is. Even Guru Rinpoche refused to tell his students for the longest time who his Guru was. Mileage certainly varies though.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

All of which is only relevant if Kiwi has taken refuge with a Vajrayana guru and received specific instructions.
If he or she hasn't, then the advice from Master Honen is simple enough... it's a useful tool like a walking stick or a conductor's baton for your recitation. People take care of useful tools.
Namu Amida Butsu
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Terma wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm

One of many points of difference between Tibetan Dharma folk and western converts.
Another being that if they see you with a mala or other signs of practice Tibetans will ask in a friendly way who your teacher is.
Try that on some Buddhist forums and the reaction will be like you have asked for a look at their bank statement... :smile:
To be fair Simon, some have been told that for Vajrayana practitioners it is best not to reveal who one's Guru is. Even Guru Rinpoche refused to tell his students for the longest time who his Guru was. Mileage certainly varies though.
I recently heard elio guarisco mention that there is a samaya to NOT keep your guru private. Some sort of antidote to pride, acknowedging where the teachings come from.

I dont know if there is a textual source for this
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Well you see that is another difference between the 'Buddhism' of western converts and Buddhadharma as lived in those places where it has been operating for generations..In those places few base their behaviour directly on textual sources.
They have been driving the vehicle so long they don't need to think which gear they are in or consult the manual.

I have spent some time among Tibetans in exile and asking about your teacher is a common and frequent form of ice-breaking across the spectrum from high lamas to toothless ammas.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Terma

Post by Terma »

Tata1 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 pm
Terma wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm

I recently heard elio guarisco mention that there is a samaya to NOT keep your guru private. Some sort of antidote to pride, acknowedging where the teachings come from.

I dont know if there is a textual source for this
That's interesting to hear. Though I think it may vary from person to person, when telling who one's Master is, one will likely either feel great gratitude and devotion, otherwise it may puff up their pride even more. I have seen several people who like to bring up the topic in order to do a little bit of "name dropping" unfortunately.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Terma wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:58 pm
That's interesting to hear. Though I think it may vary from person to person, when telling who one's Master is, one will likely either feel great gratitude and devotion, otherwise it may puff up their pride even more. I have seen several people who like to bring up the topic in order to do a little bit of "name dropping" unfortunately.
I have seen the same, where people will "name drop" what teacher and transmissions they've received in a sort of bragging manner. It comes across as insincere.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Sennin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 pm
I have seen the same, where people will "name drop" what teacher and transmissions they've received in a sort of bragging manner. It comes across as insincere.
As insincere as not pointing people in the direction of a decent teacher, so as to keep them for oneself? ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kris

Post by Kris »

Grigoris wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:06 pm
Sennin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:22 pm
As insincere as not pointing people in the direction of a decent teacher, so as to keep them for oneself? ;)
If done with the intention to sincerely point someone in the right direction then it is very important. I am speaking more of the manner in how it's done. :smile:
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”