Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
dzogchungpa

Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by dzogchungpa »

I decided to look through the comment thread on Hays' cat story FB post, and there are many interesting comments but this one especially caught my eye:
Then Sakyong Mipham rinpoche (smr or the Sawang as he was known then) was kidnapped by Akong Tulku, and he was tortured- locked in a closet & he showed me the scars on his cheek from being whipped with a bamboo whip. I am not sure why CTR & Dianna didn’t go get him immediately. But he was wounded too. Tagi and Gesar both experienced abuse too-now Gesar is an abuser as well. This is the cycle of violence, and I am a victim of it

I don't really know what to make of it but I thought it was worth pointing out. Does anyone know how old SMR would have been at that time?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Re: Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 pm I decided to look through the comment thread on Hays' cat story FB post, and there are many interesting comments but this one especially caught my eye:
Then Sakyong Mipham rinpoche (smr or the Sawang as he was known then) was kidnapped by Akong Tulku, and he was tortured- locked in a closet & he showed me the scars on his cheek from being whipped with a bamboo whip. I am not sure why CTR & Dianna didn’t go get him immediately. But he was wounded too. Tagi and Gesar both experienced abuse too-now Gesar is an abuser as well. This is the cycle of violence, and I am a victim of it

I don't really know what to make of it but I thought it was worth pointing out. Does anyone know how old SMR would have been at that time?
6 -8 or so.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

I honestly finda that hard to believe. This is bit too much. But still shows how f-ing messy the whole situation is. Kinda reminded me of a passage where Dianna says Akong R. bullied her and CTR when they still were in Samye-ling. But still really? This is a horrible mess.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Miroku wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm I honestly finda that hard to believe. This is bit too much. But still shows how f-ing messy the whole situation is. Kinda reminded me of a passage where Dianna says Akong R. bullied her and CTR when they still were in Samye-ling. But still really? This is a horrible mess.
I knew Akong Rinpoche for 20 years... believe me, he waa no bully. He did however, put up with a lot of shit amd slander from Shambhala, despite the fact he personally, and quietly, financially supported the Trungpa Tulku and Surmang monastery for years, Shambhala gave them nothing, eventually they realised that having the heritage of Surmang could be a good thing and suddenly started showing an interest.
s.
chimechodra

Post by chimechodra »

A good friend of mine who is a student of SMR told me that at one point SMR spent a lengthy period of time chained to a radiator. So I believe this statement is credible, although my friend did not specify if it was Akong who did the chaining. In any case, it's clear that he had an abusive childhood of some sort.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Stewart wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:09 pm
Miroku wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm I honestly finda that hard to believe. This is bit too much. But still shows how f-ing messy the whole situation is. Kinda reminded me of a passage where Dianna says Akong R. bullied her and CTR when they still were in Samye-ling. But still really? This is a horrible mess.
I knew Akong Rinpoche for 20 years... believe me, he waa no bully. He did however, put up with a lot of shit amd slander from Shambhala, despite the fact he personally, and quietly, financially supported the Trungpa Tulku and Surmang monastery for years, Shambhala gave them nothing, eventually they realised that having the heritage of Surmang could be a good thing and suddenly started showing an interest.
I do not think so either. Partly because It was from Dianna's biography and she was 16 at the time and from what I understood the bullying was in the form of her washing dishes more often than others and Akong R. returning badly washed dishes to the sink and also Akong demanding Trungpa to dine with others. Kinda sounds like something a 16 year old would call "bullying". :D But all jokes aside. This is horrible state of affairs.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Miroku wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:23 pm
I do not think so either. Partly because It was from Dianna's biography and she was 16 at the time and from what I understood the bullying was in the form of her washing dishes more often than others and Akong R. returning badly washed dishes to the sink and also Akong demanding Trungpa to dine with others. Kinda sounds like something a 16 year old would call "bullying". :D But all jokes aside. This is horrible state of affairs.

That kind of sounds like victim blaming to me.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

And guess what, even Trungpa's claim he was the supreme abbot of Surmang turns out to be complete bullshit...that would be this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zurmang_Gharwang_Rinpoche

Trungpa never taught the Zurmang tradition in Vajradhātu — he taught Karma Kagyu lineages.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 pm That kind of sounds like victim blaming to me.
I do not think so. I am not saying it is her own fault. I am more stating that I doubt that what she describes was a real abuse or even real.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Miroku wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:07 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:25 pm That kind of sounds like victim blaming to me.
I do not think so. I am not saying it is her own fault. I am more stating that I doubt that what she describes was a real abuse or even real.

Well, you're basically saying she's delusional or lying so that's kind of like blaming her, isn't it? The point is, that's a standard way to cast doubt on a victim's account.

Anyway, :focus:
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 pm Well, you're basically saying she's delusional or lying so that's kind of like blaming her, isn't it? The point is, that's a standard way to cast doubt on a victim's account.
Point taken. *smile* I am sorry about that.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 pm
And guess what, even Trungpa's claim he was the supreme abbot of Surmang turns out to be complete bullshit...that would be this guy:

Trungpa never taught the Zurmang tradition in Vajradhātu — he taught Karma Kagyu lineages.
He taught SOME Karma Kagyu lineage practices, but somewhat incompletely. He also taught some Terma practices--Kilaya, for instance--and some unique to his organization.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

This.
Having had first hand knowledge of Akong Rinpoche, CTR, and Diana Pybus I know who I believe.
Believe me Diana Pybus was no victim :lol: .
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
gb9810

Post by gb9810 »

Miroku wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 pm
dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 pm Well, you're basically saying she's delusional or lying so that's kind of like blaming her, isn't it? The point is, that's a standard way to cast doubt on a victim's account.
Point taken. *smile* I am sorry about that.
point taken? I have no clue about the case involved, but this idea that whoever claims to be a victim can therefore never be questioned or faulted with anything is rather absurd. ...

e.g., I thereby claimed that dzogchungpa's "kind-of" accusation of Miroku for victim blaming is traumatizing me, as the words offended my delicate sensitivity...
And, no defense allowed, dzogchungpa, 'cuz I am claiming to be a victim (and while we are at it, female, non-white..etc.) So there! ;)

joking of course, but let's be sensible ...
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

gb9810 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:02 pmjoking of course, but let's be sensible ...

Yes, let's. :smile:

:focus:
Sherab Rigdrol

Post by Sherab Rigdrol »

dzogchungpa wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 pm I decided to look through the comment thread on Hays' cat story FB post, and there are many interesting comments but this one especially caught my eye:

Holy shit, that is one dark thread......
Greg

Post by Greg »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 pm

I was in charge of arrangements for visiting teachers for a major Shambhala city center more than ten years ago when we hosted Zurmang Gharwang Rinpoche. Back when the occasional visiting lama was still welcome. I was baffled by this discrepancy in Supreme Surmang Abbot claims. Surely lamas don't make up shit like that! I was still pretty naive then. What I most remember about the visit was how excited he was about all the comped food he got when we went out to eat at a local Tibetan restaurant, and to show me old Tom and Jerry videos on his phone (streaming video on phones was a new thing).
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Greg wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 pmI was baffled by this discrepancy in Supreme Surmang Abbot claims. Surely lamas don't make up shit like that! I was still pretty naive then.

There's an amusing story in Diana's book about the Karmapa's first visit to Boulder:
Rinpoche (CTR) also asked me to take a drive around Boulder with His Holiness and show him various local landmarks. Rinpoche instructed me that whenever His Holiness admired a building or noted that it was impressive or anything like that, I was to tell the Karmapa that the building belonged to us. I thought this was ridiculous, but Rinpoche insisted. I suppose it was some sort of macho Tibetan thing. His Holiness and I drove all over town, with me telling him that every large building in town, including the Harvest House Hotel and the entire University of Colorado, belonged to Rinpoche and his students. I’m sure His Holiness checked later and learned that we had considerably fewer real estate holdings than I had suggested.
Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

I think its important to understand many abusers are victims themselves. "Undiagnosed" victims generally perpetrate the same behavior that harmed them, and then they become abusers, but now they have a low chance of internal rehibilitation because they are not seen as victims anymore, but are seen as objects of judgement, ridicule, etc. they are seen as THE problem, rather than a symptom of the problem.

My dads dad abused him, my moms mom abused her, and they said it goes back farther then that too. Its almost like a lineage in itself.

Samsara is quite dark, there is no happiness here. May we really help everyone become liberated, not one exception.

I see a lot of talk about the problem, but very little talk about a solution. And if you think merely talking about it is the solution, well, the fourth noble truth isnt "talk about it".

Pointing this stuff out is half the battle, what are we as western buddhists going to do now? Because sometimes these topics dont seem to be solution driven. Evidence for that point? 99% of topics like this require a lot of clean up, and end up locked.
Last edited by Rinchen Samphel on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heart

Post by heart »

Leslie Hays says Akong R kidnapped and tortured SMR, Leslie Hays says CTR tortured a cat.

Is there anyone here that actually know Leslie Hays and that can vouch for her stories?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”