Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo & Lama Tsultrim Allione: Shambhala's Sakyong Mipham

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Natan

Re: Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo & Lama Tsultrim Allione: Shambhala's Sakyong Mipham

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:43 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Ok. Also keep in mind mantrins who hold samaya. Disparagers become the object of ritual slaying.
Better make sure you can stab your wooden kīla into a rock before you attempt such feats. Otherwise, you just harm yourself.

BTW, at Lamdre, recently, His Holiness Sakya Trizen 42 made it quite clear that the guru/disciple relationship was not one of total, slavish obedience. That if one's guru asked one to do things that contradicted the Dharma, one should disobey.
I agree w HHST
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:46 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Ok. Also keep in mind mantrins who hold samaya. Disparagers become the object of ritual slaying.
Better make sure you can stab your wooden kīla into a rock before you attempt such feats. Otherwise, you just harm yourself.

BTW, at Lamdre, recently, His Holiness Sakya Trizen 42 made it quite clear that the guru/disciple relationship was not one of total, slavish obedience. That if one's guru asked one to do things that contradicted the Dharma, one should disobey.
I agree w HHST
Glad we cleared that up.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:47 pm

I agree w HHST
Glad we cleared that up.
I’m saying there’s too much finger pointing going on here. It’s enough to make this point. After a while the scale tips towards disparaging samaya holders.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:50 pm

I agree w HHST
Glad we cleared that up.
I’m saying there’s too much finger pointing going on here. It’s enough to make this point. After a while the scale tips towards disparaging samaya holders.
No, there is no finger pointing -- there is mere acknowledgement that we have a religious tradition which is in deep denial about harmful abuses which it allows to happen to children, women, and others.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Glad we cleared that up.
No, there is no finger pointing -- there is mere acknowledgement that we have a religious tradition which is in deep denial about harmful abuses which it allows to happen to children, women, and others.
Do what to remedy?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm Do what to remedy?
I believe it starts with having this convo.

Kevin...
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I dont think there is any great mystery here.
Ok some like the idea of being Indian Jones battling through the Himalayan snows and finding the Guru who puts them through enormous Herculean tasks from which they emerge serene and wise, flinging phurbas and shattering rock with mantras.

The reality for the overwhelming majority is quite different (thank goodness).
My friend B for example had spent time at Samye-Ling, and at Gampo Abbey.
She had put her all into her practice. And was exhausted depressed and was losing her faith in the Dharma.

She turned to Lama Ato who invited her to his home. He and his wife made her welcome and gave her the space to come to terms with the way her life was going. They supported her and listened and listened.

She left three days later restored physically and mentally, and reapplied herself to her ngondro practice and recommenced her daily practices generally. When I saw her she looked like a different person. Ten years younger. I asked her what made the difference. 'The kindness of Rinpoche and his wife' she said . 'Their huge compassion and kindness'.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
yan kong

Post by yan kong »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm I dont think there is any great mystery here.
Ok some like the idea of being Indian Jones battling through the Himalayan snows and finding the Guru who puts them through enormous Herculean tasks from which they emerge serene and wise, flinging phurbas and shattering rock with mantras.

She had put her all into her practice. And was exhausted depressed and was losing her faith in the Dharma.

She turned to Lama Ato who invited her to his home. He and his wife made her welcome and gave her the space to come to terms with the way her life was going. They supported her and listened and listened.

She left three days later restored physically and mentally, and reapplied herself to her ngondro practice and recommenced her daily practices generally. When I saw her she looked like a different person. Ten years younger. I asked her what made the difference. 'The kindness of Rinpoche and his wife' she said . 'Their huge compassion and kindness'.
That's a great story!
"Meditation is a spiritual exercise, not a therapeutic regime... Our intention is to enter Nirvana, not to make life in Samsara more tolerable." Chan Master Hsu Yun
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 pm
Do what to remedy?
Lets start by not pretending that everything advanced in the name of Vajrayāna actually corresponds with Vajrayāna Dharma on any level. Lets also stop pretending, in the name of "samaya," that bestowing empowerments is a free pass to abuse students, sexually, financially, and emotionally.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Do what to remedy?
Lets start by not pretending that everything advanced in the name of Vajrayāna actually corresponds with Vajrayāna Dharma on any level. Lets also stop pretending, in the name of "samaya," that bestowing empowerments is a free pass to abuse students, sexually, financially, and emotionally.
Caveat emptor.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:15 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 pm
Do what to remedy?
Caveat emptor.
Apparently, we need lemon laws. Anyway, empowerments granted by gurus with no realization have no force anyway.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:31 pm
Apparently, we need lemon laws.
Yes, when they give faulty teachings that don't work, we get to lock them up in a stockade and throw lemons and other fruits at them.

Kevin...
PSM

Post by PSM »

I've almost finished watching the brilliant Wild Wild Country. I can't help but think it's highly relevant to this thread.
heart

Post by heart »

PSM wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 pm I've almost finished watching the brilliant Wild Wild Country. I can't help but think it's highly relevant to this thread.
Yes, I agree.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

PSM wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:48 pm I've almost finished watching the brilliant Wild Wild Country. I can't help but think it's highly relevant to this thread.
:good:

Kevin
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm I dont think there is any great mystery here.

Was her bad experience at Gampo Abbey due to the Sakyong or other things? Does he have much to do with the abbey or is it more Pema Chodron?

DS
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Nothing to do with Mukpo. Or Pema Chodren.
I was just making the point that my friend was burned out.
It happens.
And what restored her was not eating shit or being branded or sexually exploited. None of those things happened.
What restored her to being a functioning and dedicated Dharma student was kindness and compassion.

'Crazy wisdom' is a gyp. A western fantasy. A projection. Wishful thinking.

PSM

Post by PSM »

Simon E. wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:54 am What restored her to being a functioning and dedicated Dharma student was kindness and compassion.

'Crazy wisdom' is a gyp. A western fantasy. A projection. Wishful thinking.
:good:
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Simon E. wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 pm She turned to Lama Ato who invited her to his home. He and his wife made her welcome and gave her the space to come to terms with the way her life was going. They supported her and listened and listened.

Ato Rinpoche. One of my heavy guys. I am lucky.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

He's a treasure.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”