Uncertain about Key Point of Tantra

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
sangyey

Uncertain about Key Point of Tantra

Post by sangyey »

Hello,

I know that Tantra speaks about the unity of conventional and ultimate truth or the feature of there being the unity of this in one act of consciousness but I am uncertain if this is something that runs through all of Tantra or if it something that comes into play only during a specific phase. For example, if you are practicing the generation stage with the visualization of the deity and the mantra repetition besides merely focusing on the deity or the mantra do you try to have the two aspects unified or is it something that will only occur in a specific section of the practice?

Thank you.
Malcolm

Re: Uncertain about Key Point of Tantra

Post by Malcolm »

sangyey wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm Hello,

I know that Tantra speaks about the unity of conventional and ultimate truth or the feature of there being the unity of this in one act of consciousness but I am uncertain if this is something that runs through all of Tantra or if it something that comes into play only during a specific phase. For example, if you are practicing the generation stage with the visualization of the deity and the mantra repetition besides merely focusing on the deity or the mantra do you try to have the two aspects unified or is it something that will only occur in a specific section of the practice?

Thank you.
When you are a beginner, you generally practice the two stages, creation (relative) and completion (ultimate), in stages. But the real intention is that the two stages be unified from the beginning.
sangyey

Re: Uncertain about Key Point of Tantra

Post by sangyey »

Thank you for the clarification.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”