Practicing dharma as a pair

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
gyamtsotrinle

Practicing dharma as a pair

Post by gyamtsotrinle »

Hello firends,

I would like to ask (or better to say if you can share) to the topic which I did not find on the DW,..maybe is there somewhere, but anyway. Are you practicing Dharma with your husband or wife? Are you invovlved both in the Dharma? Is it something which quite rare and precious when both together practising? Especially when you have the same lineage and teacher,...If you do not mind can you share your experiences or opinion? I hope I have asked right and clear way:-)
thank you
P
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Practicing dharma as a pair

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

gyamtsotrinle wrote:Hello firends,

I would like to ask (or better to say if you can share) to the topic which I did not find on the DW,..maybe is there somewhere, but anyway. Are you practicing Dharma with your husband or wife? Are you invovlved both in the Dharma? Is it something which quite rare and precious when both together practising? Especially when you have the same lineage and teacher,...If you do not mind can you share your experiences or opinion? I hope I have asked right and clear way:-)
thank you
P
My boyfriend unfortunately is not interested in dharma, but I know several couples where both are practitioners and think I can partly answer you questions.
It is extremely rare and precious. I have noticed that those couples are usually very happy and also quite good practitioners as they both support each other and motivate each other. Also dharma helps them stick together as they have similar point of view on life and other things. It is really great thing when it is possible.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
philji

Post by philji »

Hi. Yes my wife and myself are both trying to be practitioners...we practice in same lineage and have same teachers. I do regard this situation as being hugely fortunate.
Quite often we practice together but also practice alone. This is on the instructions of one of our teachers.. to practice alone and feel that you have nothing and no body to rely upon...
We also go on pilgrimage together and to the dharma centre .
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

thank you
P
It is best to have the same teacher and same lineage.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

My wife and I have mostly the same Teachers and lineages. Our relationship is extremely helpful in terms of the Dharma for both of us. Sometimes we practice together and sometimes we practice alone. (We each have our own shrine rooms.) Similarly, we sometimes go on retreat at the same time and sometimes separately. In the latter case, whoever's not on retreat is the retreat support person for the other. We also go on pilgrimage together and to many teachings. However, we also have our some of our own Teachers and practices, and sometimes we go to teachings and practices (drubchen) alone. We've been together 38-39 years.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
heart

Post by heart »

thank you
P
Don't push to much trying to find the perfect partner. The main point with a partner is that they are truly kind and also strongly supportive of your Dharma practice. I had 2 girlfriends that practiced in the same lineage and both ended up being big obstacles to my practice. My current girlfriend is my best ever sponsor and and a solid support and it worked like that for almost 20 years, she don't practice but her heart is in the right place.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Dharmaswede

Post by Dharmaswede »

I have experiences similar to Magnus. My practice was not working well in my previous relationships with spiritually inclined girlfriends. My current non-Buddhist wife is much more supportive – and I more focused and less confused in my practice. We've been together for 15 years.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

For some years I was. Same lineage, same main teacher. It was dreadful.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

My wife and I practice mainly under the same teacher in the same lineage. It is wonderful (but she is wonderful anyhow). She wasn't a pracitioner when I met her.
gyamtsotrinle

Post by gyamtsotrinle »

thank for your sharing,.it is inspiring to hear it,..:-)
P

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”