Most Powerful Dharmapala?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Most Powerful Dharmapala?

Post by Grigoris »

Tenma wrote:I've been a bit curious, who is the most powerful dharmapala? Also, who would be the most fastest dharmapala with quick results and which dharmapala would be the most wisest? Not only that, but which dharmapala would be the safest especially for a fourteen year old to practice and which would be the most violent and dangerous dharmapala to practice?
You only need a Dharmapala practice if you have received a HYT Yidam practice, in which case you can just do your Yidam and not worry about the Dharmapala. ;)
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Many dharmapalas get easily offended when you invoke them for mundane purpouses.
That's the cool thing about Tara. She's ok with mundane personal favors. Bokar R talks about it in his book on her. Plus she's got what it takes to help you develop spiritually. She's a win-win kinda gal.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Miroku wrote:
CedarTree wrote:
Miroku wrote:We can make a dharmapala wrestling show or turn them into pokemons! :rolleye: :woohoo:

Jokes aside, it is always safer to do green tara, guru rinpoche, suplicate lama or just take refuge than work with dharmapalas. Many dharmapalas get easily offended when you invoke them for mundane purpouses. And also when you don't have merit they can't do anything. So maybe do sth that will generate merit and meditate on tara (she is fast in response and protects) or such.

Hmmm now I kinda wanna see that dharmapala wrestling show ... :(
Oh my God!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFkdcQgNJHo
I imagine dharmapals work more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miomuSGoPzI
You my friend deserve Dharma Wheel Poster of the Year Lol!

Practice, Practice, Practice
heart

Post by heart »

Tenma wrote:I've been a bit curious, who is the most powerful dharmapala? Also, who would be the most fastest dharmapala with quick results and which dharmapala would be the most wisest? Not only that, but which dharmapala would be the safest especially for a fourteen year old to practice and which would be the most violent and dangerous dharmapala to practice?
Hi Tenma, the most powerful protector is the one that is connected to the practice you do. All major yidam's or practice cycles have particular protectors associated with them. When you do the main yidam well the protectors will pay attention to you and help you. Protector practice isn't really a standalone practice.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I would add that all Dharmapālas protect all Dharma practitioners, whether they are Vajrayāna practitioners or not —— that's their job.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Malcolm wrote:I would add that all Dharmapālas protect all Dharma practitioners, whether they are Vajrayāna practitioners or not —— that's their job.
In particular, the fully enlightened ones also protect us from ourselves, I'd say.

:smile:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

smcj wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Since Guru Rinpoche bound most of the Dharmapalas under oath himself, and he is easily invoked through the Seven Line Prayer,
why not just go straight to the source? Invoking Guru Rinpoche with faith yields infinite benefits. If you have the Dharmapala practice and some commitment, of course don't abandon it. But otherwise, supplicate Guru Rinpoche with confidence. His blessings carry the force of the Dharmapala energy. And eventually then maybe you'll connect to them in a more
specific way once the time is ripe.
:good:

Personally I'm fond of Green Tara. She's open to all kinds of requests and not judgmental.
:tongue:
What? :o are you implying Precious Vajra Guru Padmasambhava is judgmental? I mean, what are you afraid of? Are you asking to satisfy bestiality urges or what? :tongue:
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

The experience of the protectors is a mysterious one, and probably not the best for someone starting out. That's my opinion. Learning to meditate first is good.
Rinchen Samphel

Post by Rinchen Samphel »

jkarlins wrote:The experience of the protectors is a mysterious one, and probably not the best for someone starting out. That's my opinion. Learning to meditate first is good.
^ this says it all.

When I was young I immediately wanted to hop to the advanced practices, wanted to do deity yoga, learn Mahamudra and Dzogchen immediately and (if I am completely honest) simply wanted to be a super powerful practitioner that had very high practices upder their belt. As I've gotten older I have found that having a firm foundation and understanding of things like death and impermanence to be just as important.

I know that isn't as elegant and awe-inspiring as we want our practice to be, but as practitioners of Buddhadharma, that isn't what should be seeking anyway. Hell, I'd even venture to say that this whole thing has been quite disappointing from the perspective of my afflictions.

A lot more tearing down than building up.
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

conebeckham wrote:
Malcolm wrote:I would add that all Dharmapālas protect all Dharma practitioners, whether they are Vajrayāna practitioners or not —— that's their job.
In particular, the fully enlightened ones also protect us from ourselves, I'd say.

:smile:
It seems that's the demon I need the most protection from myself.
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Adamantine wrote:
smcj wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Since Guru Rinpoche bound most of the Dharmapalas under oath himself, and he is easily invoked through the Seven Line Prayer,
why not just go straight to the source? Invoking Guru Rinpoche with faith yields infinite benefits. If you have the Dharmapala practice and some commitment, of course don't abandon it. But otherwise, supplicate Guru Rinpoche with confidence. His blessings carry the force of the Dharmapala energy. And eventually then maybe you'll connect to them in a more
specific way once the time is ripe.
:good:

Personally I'm fond of Green Tara. She's open to all kinds of requests and not judgmental.
:tongue:
What? :o are you implying Precious Vajra Guru Padmasambhava is judgmental? I mean, what are you afraid of? Are you asking to satisfy bestiality urges or what? :tongue:
Maybe less willing to entertain mundane requests? :) At least for those who should be focusing on something a bit higher...
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

It seems that's the demon I need the most protection from myself.
My Gelug teacher defined taking refuge as "asking for safety from your own very dangerous mind". That's not quite verbatim, but close.
Are you asking to satisfy bestiality urges or what?
Nah. But I find I've got a whole lot less inner conflict if I'm not trying to wrestle with "only asking for spiritual help". I trust her to sort out what's not appropriate for me. I'm too old and tired for internal struggle at this point. Bokar R.'s book on Green Tara goes into how that kind of trust evolves into a spiritual path.

I also like his explanation of the deity/nature of mind dichotomy. He says that if you see things dualistically then Green Tara is a deity. But since she sees things in a non-dual way she sees herself as being the same nature as your mind.

Kinda makes me think about the double slit experiment. She's Shrödinger's deity.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Most Powerful Dharmapala?

Rahula
The ancient translators - Kawa Paltseg, Vairocana - all concentrated on meaning, on the real sence. Even if the words do not correspond perfectly between Sanskrit & Tibetan, they concentrated more on the essence. Those who translated later concentrated more on the literal text, on the words.
ChNN
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

lelopa wrote:Most Powerful Dharmapala?

Rahula
Nah. My most powerful Dharmapala is way more most powerful than yours.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Rahula
Quite rare to find practitioners to that dangerous practice these days...
By dangerous, I mean risks without initiation and so on along with his noose around a practitioner's neck if the practice is good.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
heart

Post by heart »

Tenma wrote:

Rahula
By dangerous, I mean risks without initiation and so on along with his noose around a practitioner's neck if the practice is good.
Tenma, you can't do anything without initiation in Vajrayana, it just want work. I promise.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Tenma wrote:

Rahula
In escence, Rahula is an expression of Vajrapani who is safe to request protection from if it's needed and since Vajrapani manifests an appearance of a Bodhisatva, you run no risk when you suplicate and rely on him in his Bodhisattva/Buddha form. As others have said, don't create a risk for yourself and potentially burn away oppprtunties for progressing in your practice - you're young, this isn't stuff you wanna mess up just because you feel righteous enough to think you know what kind of activity is needed and what the nature of that activity actually is...are you trying to defeat enemies? Destroy Spirits? Have you examined what aspects of your own emotions, karma, vows and mind might be playing with any percieved obstacles? Do you know how they correspond?

If you need something done soon, then just go to the source of the guardians, Guru Rinpoche, Vajrapani, Tara etc. If you have any hidden faults, fears or views then you'll soon find out due to their compassion and your suplications and aspirations. Thats win/win, no?
ཨོཾ ་ མ ་ ཎི ་ པ ་ དྨེ ་ ཧཱུྃ ། འ ་ ཨ ་ ཧ ་ ཤ ་ ས ་ མ །
Om Mani Peme Hum ། 'A Ah Ha Sha Sa Ma
'When alone, watch your mind,When with others, watch your speech' - Old Kadampa saying
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Tenma wrote:

Rahula
:thinking:
{quote]quite rare[/quote]
Hardly
to that dangerous practice these days
Are you practicing your melodramatic tone for a fantasy novel?

Have you received teachings and empowerments that involve the dharmapalas or not?
When you talk about power and speed of accomplishing things what specific results are you after?
These are simple questions that you haven't bothered answering.

The fact that you are asking your initial question seems to imply you don't have the requirements to do the practices (if you did, why would you need to ask?). But maybe I'm wrong. Do You?
If you can't be bothered to receive teachings and empowerments then these practices probably aren't going to be dangerous for you at all. They will just be useless LARPing, that might help you feel like you're a powerful badass, ...or something.
I say this because just receiving the information and empowerments you are talking about is pretty simple and straightforward nowadays, assuming you have the internet and desire to receive them for real, and if that is too much work, then anything beyond seems unlikely.
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

as previously written - the most powerful is Dharmapala which is closely related to your Yidam practice.
However I'd recommend 6 armed Mahakala Sadbhuya (Chadrupa) daily practice as he is emanation of the mind of Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara in form of protector (also he is Lama, Yidam, Dharmapala and Dakini in one form). As one of my teacher told me in the past - "you can never go wrong with this protector, he is always protecting, always caring, always forgiving and ultimately he will bring you to Buddhahood".
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Grigoris wrote:

Rahula
Nah. My most powerful Dharmapala is way more most powerful than yours.
:crying:
The ancient translators - Kawa Paltseg, Vairocana - all concentrated on meaning, on the real sence. Even if the words do not correspond perfectly between Sanskrit & Tibetan, they concentrated more on the essence. Those who translated later concentrated more on the literal text, on the words.
ChNN

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”