Very sad news: Letter to Sogyal Rinpoche / Abuse allegations

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
emaho

Re: Very bad news

Post by emaho »

Nothing new about it except for the update at the bottom of the page:
Update: On Friday afternoon, July 21, Lion’s Roar received from Rigpa a press release in response to the letter; it indicates that Sogyal Rinpoche will “step back” as the community looks into next steps.
That's probably going to be shattering for his students. From the letter of response in this article

https://www.lionsroar.com/rigpa-press-r ... -rinpoche/

it sounds like it's more a temporary time-out
We respect Sogyal Rinpoche’s decision to step back and to enter a period of retreat and reflection, and find it wise.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Very sad news

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
I second this.

I think we need to start creating ethical standards though were money and lifestyles are humble. This is a spiritual path after all.

Practice, Practice, Practice
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

“Your physical abuse – which constitutes a crime under the laws of the lands where you have done these acts...
So call the police on each and every 'physical abuse' and have him arrested.

Sounds like a "buddhist" version of domestic abuse victims.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

CedarTree wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:I wish the best to the Rigpa community and pray for some serious healing to take place.
I second this.

I think we need to start creating ethical standards though were money and lifestyles are humble. This is a spiritual path after all.
the ethical standards are already in place. it's sad that a teacher as highly respected as this could act in such manner, but I applaud the students for speaking out.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

TharpaChodron wrote:
CedarTree wrote:
I second this.

the ethical standards are already in place. it's sad that a teacher as highly respected as this could act in such manner, but I applaud the students for speaking out.
Not on the monetary side evidently.

Practice, Practice, Practice
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

FWIW, here's a response from SR:
https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/responses/
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dzogchungpa wrote:FWIW, here's a response from SR:
Doesn't seem to be worth very much: a lot of me, me, me, and not very much else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

CedarTree wrote:
I second this.

There is nothing wrong with wealthy teachers. How they derive their wealth however is of some concern.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:FWIW, here's a response from SR:
Doesn't seem to be worth very much: a lot of me, me, me, and not very much else.
Yup.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

I can only hope that his letter is sincere. with all respect, how can a teacher of such high regard act in such a way? I would think that his training and realization would prevent such behavior.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

I almost wonder if this is a kind of face-saving resignation letter.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Karma_Yeshe

Post by Karma_Yeshe »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I almost wonder if this is a kind of face-saving resignation letter.
I don't think so.

"Yet I will of course still be there for you all, sharing teachings and guidance from my retreat, and meeting with you whenever the time is right."

Sounds more like he needs time to think how he can maintain/save his position, rather than thinking about stepping back or going into a real retreat.

------------------

"I am clear in my own mind that I have never, ever, acted towards anyone with a motive of selfish gain or harmful intent."

If someone believes this to be true after everything that has been said by his students, I don't know...
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Yet another episode in the neverending Sogyal Rinpoche saga...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

All sounds very messy. Let's just hope for all involved that samayas are repairable.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
TRC

Post by TRC »

Here is a link to the full letter composed by current and former Rigpa students, that was sent to Lion's Roar: http://openboeddhisme.nl/wp-content/upl ... -2017-.pdf

If you are not aware of the depth of depravity that Sogyal Rinpoche has sunk to, you may find the contents of this letter disturbing.

Edit: I noticed these links at the end of the letter which might be useful for those who may need support:

https://sanghacare8.wixsite.com/sanghacareresources
https://whatnow727.wordpress.com/
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

TharpaChodron wrote:I can only hope that his letter is sincere. with all respect, how can a teacher of such high regard act in such a way? I would think that his training and realization would prevent such behavior.
This has been a long time coming. I have met several of his committed students, and they are good people. I feel sad for the pain they will be going through now or soon.

But I quote the quote because it may pay to recall that he never did have a lot of training. If ever a tulku recognition were under suspicion of being a title of convenience, his is - you can find the story easily enough I'm sure. And as for realization - that is something to be judged by it's fruits, I think.

For him to go into retreat may well be overdue, but it is remarkably convenient that it shuts down questions to him from his own people - "The lama can't discuss that right now because he is in retreat."

A sad time for many of his students, but it was more a question of when and how this would happen, rather than whether.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Lingpupa wrote:
TharpaChodron wrote:I can only hope that his letter is sincere. with all respect, how can a teacher of such high regard act in such a way? I would think that his training and realization would prevent such behavior.
This has been a long time coming. I have met several of his committed students, and they are good people. I feel sad for the pain they will be going through now or soon.

But I quote the quote because it may pay to recall that he never did have a lot of training. If ever a tulku recognition were under suspicion of being a title of convenience, his is - you can find the story easily enough I'm sure. And as for realization - that is something to be judged by it's fruits, I think.

For him to go into retreat may well be overdue, but it is remarkably convenient that it shuts down questions to him from his own people - "The lama can't discuss that right now because he is in retreat."

A sad time for many of his students, but it was more a question of when and how this would happen, rather than whether.
I'm just going to have to say :good: I've never been a student of his and really just know him from his large following and assumed. interesting
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Looks like Mary Finnegan has been vindicated.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”