Pls help identify this tangkha

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
parama

Pls help identify this tangkha

Post by parama »

tangkha.jpg
tangkha.jpg (433.42 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
heart

Re: Pls help identify this tangkha

Post by heart »

Vajrasattva with Amithaba over his head? Don't make much sense to me.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Yup, Vajrasattva with Amitabha as his guru. Probably a Nepali knock-off. Got some nice gold gilding though.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
drodul

Post by drodul »

Isn't there a purification deity associated with each Buddha family? Could this be Padmasattva?
ClearblueSky

Post by ClearblueSky »

I've noticed a trend of Amitabha popping up on a lot of random thangkas (I guess nothing wrong with that per se). I'd have to agree with Sherab Dorje, Vajrasattva w/Vajratopa, and Amitabha above.
Tsultrim T.

Post by Tsultrim T. »

ClearblueSky wrote:I've noticed a trend of Amitabha popping up on a lot of random thangkas (I guess nothing wrong with that per se). I'd have to agree with Sherab Dorje, Vajrasattva w/Vajratopa, and Amitabha above.
Generally it would make sense in deities of the Amitabha family, but many formally untrained thangka painters will try and copy and get it wrong.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Padmasattva is red.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Rakz

Post by Rakz »

Whoa
Caoimhghín

Post by Caoimhghín »

Are these bodhisattva depicted as symbolically making love, like is common in some traditional depictions? Wouldn't that mean it's not Vajrasattva and Amitabha, because there wouldn't be a gender-binary that is symbolically transgressed through the sexual union non-duality metaphor?

Then again, one could just be sitting in the others lap with no sexual meanings intended. It's just that they are so wrapped around eachother. I really don't know enough about the material at hand, that's just what occurred to me as I read the conversation and looked up who "Vajrasattva" was.
savi saghara aṇica di, savi saghara dukha di, savi dhama aṇatva di:
yada paśadi cakhkṣuma tada nivinadi dukha eṣo mago viśodhia.

"All formations are inconstant," he said.
"All formations are stressful," he said.
"All phenomena are selfless," he said.
When one sees this, one becomes adverse to stress, and this is the path of purity.

(Gāndhārī Dharmapada fragments)
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Coëmgenu wrote:Are these bodhisattva depicted as symbolically making love, like is common in some traditional depictions? Wouldn't that mean it's not Vajrasattva and Amitabha, because there wouldn't be a gender-binary that is symbolically transgressed through the sexual union non-duality metaphor?
Amitabha is the small, red dude at the very top. Vajrasattva is the main figure. His consort, on his lap, is called either Vajratopa or Vajrasattvi.
Coëmgenu wrote:Then again, one could just be sitting in the others lap with no sexual meanings intended. It's just that they are so wrapped around eachother. I really don't know enough about the material at hand, that's just what occurred to me as I read the conversation and looked up who "Vajrasattva" was.
That is a very charming idea, but I think they are doing it.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

dzogchungpa wrote:That is a very charming idea, but I think they are doing it.
Yup, they are definitely being saucy!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”