Prince Peter of Greece

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Prince Peter of Greece

Post by Grigoris »

Came across this interesting bit of information today after a chat with one of my Greek lama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Pe ... nd_Denmark

It is probably one of the reasons why RENE DE NEBESKY-WOJKOWITZ dedicated his book "Oracles and Demons of Tibet" to Prince Peter.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
humble.student

Re: Prince Peter of Greece

Post by humble.student »

If you found that rather tame Wikipedia article interesting, then you really ought to dig deeper into the memoirs of those who were in India at the same time as Peter or who knew him, to name a few: John Blofeld, Marco Pallis, Haslund-Christensen, Sangharakshita, Georges Roerich, if memory serves. (I don't remember who exactly spilled the beans on the prince's "research" methods. It's been many years since I've read up on Nebesky-Wojkowitz and co.)

His comment on the polyandrous Tibetan women is actually quite funny in light of what he was up to himself. "Alternative lifestyle" barely begins to describe it - even by today's standards (or those of the swinging 60s) - if the rumors are true. :jawdrop:

PS: There was another story about how the unfortunate Count René met his untimely end, not from having written that book and divulged all sorts of unsavoury demonological secrets, but rather, for the more prosaic act of cavorting with a tribal chieftain's daughter, or so I seem to recall. :stirthepot:
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

humble.student wrote:... what he was up to himself. "Alternative lifestyle" barely begins to describe it - even by today's standards (or those of the swinging 60s) - if the rumors are true. :jawdrop:
'Rules' for royalty? Nonsense! Never have been - except 'don't make it too public.'

:coffee:
Kim
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

Kim O'Hara wrote:
humble.student wrote:... what he was up to himself. "Alternative lifestyle" barely begins to describe it - even by today's standards (or those of the swinging 60s) - if the rumors are true. :jawdrop:
'Rules' for royalty? Nonsense! Never have been - except 'don't make it too public.'

:coffee:
Kim
:rolling:

That's the rules in the UK, just look at Prince Harry and Prince Philip
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”