What to do with not so "nice" statues of Buddhas?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
gyamtsotrinle

What to do with not so "nice" statues of Buddhas?

Post by gyamtsotrinle »

Hii friends,

I found that I have at home some statues of Buddhas but they are not so "nice" in face and as a whole and they are made from plaster and wood. Sure it is not for shrine and also I do not want to throw them to trash bin. Is it ok to dig them in the earth in the garden?
Thank you for the answers
P
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: What to do with not so "nice" statues of Buddhas?

Post by Grigoris »

gyamtsotrinle wrote:Hii friends,

I found that I have at home some statues of Buddhas but they are not so "nice" in face and as a whole and they are made from plaster and wood. Sure it is not for shrine and also I do not want to throw them to trash bin. Is it ok to dig them in the earth in the garden?
Thank you for the answers
P
What do you mean "nice"? I have plaster and wood statues that are really nice.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
gyamtsotrinle

Post by gyamtsotrinle »

I mean that their face and also some others part of body is little bit damage.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Most important it is to have respect for any kind of Buddha's statue or image. The value is "inside".
What ever you do with it, do it with respect.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

gyamtsotrinle wrote:I mean that their face and also some others part of body is little bit damage.
Why don't you give them away?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Ayu wrote:Most important it is to have respect for any kind of Buddha's statue or image. The value is "inside".
What ever you do with it, do it with respect.
On the bank of the Mekong near Luang Prabang there are a couple of caves where monasteries 'retire' unwanted Buddha statues - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pak_Ou_Caves.
A possibility like that for ordinary people would be to take the statue into the forest somewhere and set it up as a little natural shrine. Eventually it will become part of the forest.

:namaste:
Kim
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

gyamtsotrinle wrote:I mean that their face and also some others part of body is little bit damage.
Can you repair the damage, or just patch over it?

If you really don't want to put them on your shrine, why don't you set aside some other space for them in your home where people can see them and plant good seeds?
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Take the statues into the woods somewhere and leave them in a sheltered, secluded spot, such as under a rock overhang or in a small cave. You can also make a small "stupa" out of rocks to "house" them. Please do not throw them in the trash.

Good luck & best wishes.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
gyamtsotrinle

Post by gyamtsotrinle »

Thank you for your advices,..
To put it to the forest sounds very good and have some sens,.I will do it like this.
All the best
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

If I found a Buddha in the woods on a walk, I'd be delighted, nice or not. :smile:
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”