Buddhist teachers that teach a true self?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Buddhist teachers that teach a true self?

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

asunthatneversets wrote:
Son of Buddha wrote:Oh obviously he is talking about my interpretation of the yogacara teaching's, he obviously wasn't saying that the Yogacara Sutra's and commentaries were provisional or that Yogacara as a system was realist and lowly, beneath the Madhyamaka system
Which I do agree with, Madhyamaka is far more refined than Yogācāra, since Yogācāra ends up a realist view.
Well, be that as it may, Yogacara is a buddhist view. And whether it is higher or lower to Madhyamaka does not seem to matter that much. As I've said elsewhere, to me the highest teaching is the one that helps a specific individual progress the most. And quite frankly for my the Yogacara?Shentong view makes the most sense and allows me to practice with the least confusion and doubt.

And if that makes me an eternalist, well I will allow my teachers to address that issue--my very old and traditional Kagyu/Nyingma teachers that is.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
krodha

Post by krodha »

smcj wrote:Well, be that as it may, Yogacara is a buddhist view. And whether it is higher or lower to Madhyamaka does not seem to matter that much. As I've said elsewhere, to me the highest teaching is the one that helps a specific individual progress the most.
Incidentally, I have to tell this to Son of Buddha quite often since he believes there is truly such thing as objectively provisional and definitive views.
smcj wrote:And quite frankly for my the Yogacara?Shentong view makes the most sense and allows me to practice with the least confusion and doubt. And if that makes me an eternalist, well I will allow my teachers to address that issue.
That doesn't make you an eternalist, but it is very easy to formulate eternalist views based on those teachings, which is why many eternalists gravitate towards those teachings. They can manipulate them to fit their desired (eternalist) narratives much easier than other Buddhist views.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Son of Buddha wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Yes the problem is that you are using provisional sūtras and commentaries from Yogacara, which is a realist system lower than Madhyamaka.
Yes the problem is that you are using provisional sūtras and commentaries from Madhyamaka which is a system that constantly requires interpretation due to it teetering very close to Nhilism/Annhilationism , such a system is lower than the definite Tathagatagarbha teachings.
Madhyaka requires no interpretation, and the Tathāgatagarbha sūtras, understood from the Madhyakamala perspective of freedom from extremes, make sense.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

That doesn't make you an eternalist, but it is very easy to formulate eternalist views based on those teachings, which is why many eternalists gravitate towards those teachings. They can manipulate them to fit their desired (eternalist) narratives much easier than other Buddhist views.
I actually do tend towards being an eternalist, as most people here at DW have figured out. The label doesn't really bother me all that much. But even I get uncomfortable with some of the more heavy-handed presentations, so I don't really self-identify as an eternalist per se (most of the time).
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Garudavista

Post by Garudavista »

Son of Buddha wrote:
Yes the rope and the illusion of the snake are the same. Cause whether a person see a rope or a misperception of a snake it doesn't change the fact he is looking at the same one object.
SoB, if the illusion of the snake and the rope were in fact different and not the same, how would that change your life? How would you feel? Better yet, what emotion do you experience when you allow yourself to fully consider that the true self is completely empty of itself and other? And I don't mean think about it and then come to some logical conclusion. What I mean is, what does it feel like when you sit with it, drop the discursiveness of it all, and then fully and completely feel as if it were the way things actually are?
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

Son of Buddha wrote:What????....... If we look at the SAME OBJECT and you see a baseball and I see an softball it still doesn't change the fact we are looking at the SAME OBJECT.
It sounds like you're suggesting that there is a "real object" which exists in a fixed way from its own side. Otherwise it's meaningless to call it the "same object." The way I learned it, this is the opposite of understanding emptiness.

But I lost the plot of this argument long ago. :shrug:
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I'm bumping my own post since I do not think the question was actually answered.
smcj wrote:
Primordial literally means something like 'from the very begining' although it doesn't automatically imply a beginning. If something is primordially empty for example, that means that it always was empty, is empty, and always will be empty. That is quite different from calling something transcendental.
However if you differentiate between the phenomenal universe, and say that it is all causes and conditions, and then say that "primordial" is beyond causes and conditions, you are not talking about something that is encompassed by the phenomenal universe by the very definitions you are using.

I'm using "transcendental" just because I'm being a troll, but however you want to deal with it semantically the idea stays the same.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Two people can look at the same thing and see something quite different, according to what their mind imputes to it. And you can't appeal to what the thing 'really is', because it is empty of own-being, I.e. Doesn't have any absolute identity. So there is no such thing as complete objectivity, objectivity is part of the domain of relative truth.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
dreambow

Post by dreambow »

The Diamond sutra
"Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.""So is all conditioned existence to be seen." That actually sounds more ephemeral then empty.
As I understand it Ajahn Chah says it is the 'ground' of all existence or perhaps the reality is the sub stratum of all that is. At the end of the day who can find the right words, the most fitting words to describe or express the indescribable.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

As I understand it Ajahn Chah says it is the 'ground' of all existence or perhaps the reality is the sub stratum of all that is. At the end of the day who can find the right words, the most fitting words to describe or express the indescribable.
I'm no expert, in fact I don't even go hang out at DhammaWheel, but that sounds weird coming from a Theravadan to me. That kind of idea is controversial (some would say heretical) in the Mahayana, but for those guys I don't think it has any precedent in their tradition.

But I could be wrong.
Last edited by Schrödinger’s Yidam on Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

It strikes me that primordial lacks the connotations of independent and permanent, or in the very least, the opposite of immanent or manifest.

This sets up a duality which leads to the duality problem, well exploited by both Nagarjuna and Sextus Empiricus. If two things are separate, then they can have no relationship. If the transcendent has no relationship with the here and now, it is unreachable, unknowable, and irrelevant. On the other hand, if they do have a relationship, then they are not separate, and because things change, there is no permanence.
smcj wrote:I'm bumping my own post since I do not think the question was actually answered.
smcj wrote:
Primordial literally means something like 'from the very begining' although it doesn't automatically imply a beginning. If something is primordially empty for example, that means that it always was empty, is empty, and always will be empty. That is quite different from calling something transcendental.
However if you differentiate between the phenomenal universe, and say that it is all causes and conditions, and then say that "primordial" is beyond causes and conditions, you are not talking about something that is encompassed by the phenomenal universe by the very definitions you are using.

I'm using "transcendental" just because I'm being a troll, but however you want to deal with it semantically the idea stays the same.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Matt J wrote:It strikes me that primordial lacks the connotations of independent and permanent, or in the very least, the opposite of immanent or manifest.

This sets up a duality which leads to the duality problem, well exploited by both Nagarjuna and Sextus Empiricus. If two things are separate, then they can have no relationship. If the transcendent has no relationship with the here and now, it is unreachable, unknowable, and irrelevant. On the other hand, if they do have a relationship, then they are not separate, and because things change, there is no permanence.
Seems to me that the same could be said about the Higgs Mechanism theory. I don't know what the physicists say about it, but somehow that isn't a problem for those guys.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

smcj wrote:
I'm no expert, in fact I don't even go hang out at DhammaWheel, but that sounds weird coming from a Theravadan to me. That kind of idea is controversial (some would say heretical) in the Mahayana, but for those guys I don't think it has any precedent in their tradition.

But I could be wrong.
I would be deeply shocked if Ajahn Chah said anything like that. As I pointed out in one of my previous posts, Ajahn Chah didn't agree with what a lot of other Thai Forest monks taught about original mind. Here is a 3 page transcript of a and Q and A with Ajahn Chah where he rejects the Ajahn Maha Bua kind of original mind teaching and interprets original mind to refer to an experience of cessation.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

smcj wrote:I'm bumping my own post since I do not think the question was actually answered.
smcj wrote:

Sorry, I thought I responded to this but I must have left the page before posting.

I don't quite see how the term primordial refers to something apart from the phenomenal world. If one says all things are primordially empty, that means that in their most basic state, all things are empty. It refers directly to the phenomenal world, not to something apart from it.
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

The notion of the "fourth time" might be relevant here.
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I don't quite see how the term primordial refers to something apart from the phenomenal world. If one says all things are primordially empty, that means that in their most basic state, all things are empty. It refers directly to the phenomenal world, not to something apart from it.
If the phenomenal world = causes and conditions

and

primordial = beyond (not) causes and conditions

then by definition

phenomenal world ≠ primordial.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

MattJ wrote:It strikes me that primordial lacks the connotations of independent and permanent, or in the very least, the opposite of immanent or manifest.
To quote Candrakīrti, Nirvāṇa connotes the cessation of all talk about it, the quiesence of phenomenal existence, and the attainment of the highest good.

The Vaibhāṣika thinks that Nirvāṇa is a positive entity (bhāva). Nāgārjuna says that the Hinayanist believes Nirvāṇa to be unconditioned. To say it is unconditioned (asaṁskṛta) and yet a positive entity (bhāva) amounts to a self-contradiction, for a positive entity which is not dependent on conditions cannot be discovered. If it is not bhāva, it cannot be abhāva, for abhāva is a relative word. There can be abhāva only when previously there is bhāva. Moreover cessation (abhāva) is an event, occuring in time. It would make Nirvāṇa transitory.
(Introduction to Madhyamika Philosophy, Jaideva Singh, Pp 28-29).

So Nirvāṇa is neither existent nor non-existent, the problem is that if you say 'the real self' or Nirvāṇa is something existent and opposed to 'the false self' and to samsara which is non existent, then you are objectifying it, making the unconditioned an object of perception. As soon as you refer to the unconditioned as 'it' or even think about it through words, you are falling into that trap. This goes for the 'true self' idea also. But because of habits of speech and thought, when we are discussing such topics, we will refer to 'it' and 'that', whereas in reality, there is no such thing or object of perception. But that doesn't mean the unconditioned is unreal or non-existent - that is the error of nihilism. It is beyond the scope of speech and thought so can not be objectified.

I think the Buddhist teaching is concerned with 'transformation of perception'. From the same source:
The [lesser vehicle] considers certain defiled and conditioned dharma to be ultimately real, and also certain undefiled and unconditioned dharmas to be ultimately real. According to [them], Nirvāṇa means a veritable change of the discrete, conditioned existences (saṁskṛta dharmas) and defilements (kleśa) into unconditioned and undefiled dharma. The Madhyamika says that Nirvāṇa does not mean a change in the objective order, the change is only subjective. It is not that world that we have to change, but only ourselves.
But if every being has the capacity to realize this truth, then that capacity can be allegorically referred to as 'a true self' in my view, even if for the reasons given above, it is not ultimately existent. I have a Korean Zen text, No River to Cross, by Zen Master Daehaeng, and it has many references to such ideas as the 'buddha nature' and 'real mind' on almost every page, and I wouldn't like to criticize this book on that account. But I regard it as a mode of expression or a figure of speech.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Is it me, or do these two sentences in the same paragraph contradict each other?
...is neither existent nor non-existent, the problem is that if you say 'the real self' or Nirvāṇa is something existent and opposed to 'the false self' and to samsara which is non existent, then you are objectifying it, making the unconditioned an object of perception.
vs.
It is beyond the scope of speech and thought so can not be objectified.
Just sayin'...
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

smcj wrote:
If the phenomenal world = causes and conditions

and

primordial = beyond (not) causes and conditions

then by definition

phenomenal world ≠ primordial.
Ok, but I don't think the term primordial means beyond causes and conditions, because it refers to the very nature of phenomena themselves. If I say all things are primordially empty, I am not referring to some entity called emptiness that is separate from phenomena, but I am saying that all of these phenomena are themselves characterized by emptiness. In such a case, emptiness is an attribute, not some separate substance. The same would go for any other attribute we could describe, but emptiness is the only term that I know of that can be described as primordial. There are probably other terms too, I just don't know them.
Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon »

Son of Buddha wrote:Since when did it become a PROBLEM to follow Sutras and commentaries of Yogacara.
For the record Son of Buddha, do you consider Yogacara Sutras (i.e. the Samdhinirmocana Sutra and the Lankavatara Sutra) to be definitive in meaning?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”