Meat Eating Mantras

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Norwegian

Re: Meat Eating Mantras

Post by Norwegian »

pemachophel,

That's not 'food' though... It's very common to eat chicken, beef, pork, fish, etc. but not at all common to eat human flesh. And I don't think that if I go to the store to look for human flesh, that I will find it. And chances are if I request human flesh to the store clerk, I will get some very strange stares. Possibly someone will call the police as well.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mother's Lap wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Boomerang wrote:
Are devas food for other devas?
No, they are not, just as humans are not food for other humans.
When they say rakshasas are cannibals, does it mean they eat each other or just because they're man-eaters?
It is because they are man eaters. Rakṣasa in fact refer to the australio-asians who plagued the sea routes between Indonesia and Madagascar and all islands in-between.

Also cannibal tribes living the Himalayas were referred to by this name.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:Flesh from [someone] born a Brahmin seven times, anyone?
I know a guy...
—Kotalipa
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

Malcolm wrote:It is because they are man eaters. Rakṣasa in fact refer to the australio-asians who plagued the sea routes between Indonesia and Madagascar and all islands in-between.

What are the differences in character between rakshasas and yakshas in general?
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yeah, Loppon, I know the same guy. Powerful stuff.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mother's Lap wrote:
Malcolm wrote:It is because they are man eaters. Rakṣasa in fact refer to the australio-asians who plagued the sea routes between Indonesia and Madagascar and all islands in-between.

What are the differences in character between rakshasas and yakshas in general?
Different class of being. The latter are spirits, the former are human cannibals.
—Kotalipa
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

Malcolm wrote:
pemachophel wrote:Flesh from [someone] born a Brahmin seven times, anyone?
I know a guy...
pemachophel wrote:Yeah, Loppon, I know the same guy. Powerful stuff.
What are you guys talking about?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
fckw

Post by fckw »

Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

Malcolm wrote:
And if it really is so simple for lay people to make a good connection dead animals, why do some Tibetan Buddhists act like these methods don't exist? Is it a sectarian thing?
Lack of confidence in themselves as well as the teachings.
But aren't there high ranking teachers who discourage meat eating and never mention these dharanis and mantras? Why do they prefer not to inform people?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Boomerang wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
And if it really is so simple for lay people to make a good connection dead animals, why do some Tibetan Buddhists act like these methods don't exist? Is it a sectarian thing?
Lack of confidence in themselves as well as the teachings.
But aren't there high ranking teachers who discourage meat eating and never mention these dharanis and mantras? Why do they prefer not to inform people?
I can only tell you what my teacher says. Frankly, I don't much care about what other teachers says, whether high ranking or not.
—Kotalipa
haak0n

Post by haak0n »

I would like to know which mantra for meat eating is dharani from sutras and can be recited without transmission.
Boomerang

Post by Boomerang »

haak0n wrote:I would like to know which mantra for meat eating is dharani from sutras and can be recited without transmission.
They're linked in the first post. "Om Mani Padme Hum" repeated seven times is one of them.
pael

Post by pael »

I have red ''om ahbirakay tsara hung'' mantra from internet. Does it need transmission?
AH AAH SHA SA MA HA. Does it need transmission?
Om mani peme hung (hree/shree). Is this right pronouncing? Does it need transmission?
May all beings be free from suffering and causes of suffering
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

pael wrote:I have red ''om ahbirakay tsara hung'' mantra from internet. Does it need transmission?
AH AAH SHA SA MA HA. Does it need transmission?
Om mani peme hung (hree/shree). Is this right pronouncing? Does it need transmission?
Hi Pael - apparently no one responded on this.

Technically all mantras require transmission. However there are some common mantras that anyone can recite (and are encouraged to) and get transmission for later. The six syllable mantra of Avalokiteshvara is one of these - OM MANI PEDME HUNG - ཨོཾ་མ་ཎི་པདྨེ་ཧཱུྂ༔

AH AAH SHA SA MA HA requires lung at least, at least in Palyul.

It appears that there is no fault in practicing om ahbirakay tsara hung over meat. At least several Gelug teachers have publicized the practice.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

another method is closely connected with Yidam practice, you visualise yourself in form of Yidam and you perform visualisation of fire puja. Fire being your mouth and hands being "spoons", meat (or any other food or drinks) are offered to fire and you imagine that through connection sentient beings are being liberated in heart chakra (or wherever you place seed syllable for your Yidam practice) and are being placed in pure land. Of course one should have any experience with fire pujas before and being stable in your Yidam practice.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Something I think missing from the posts on this subject (or maybe I just missed it). Can someone explain how meat eating would be skill full within a Buddha dharma perspective?

In Theravada monks will eat meat if it is given unless they know it was specifically killed for them.

In Zen in traditions like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America and Antaiji in Japan the diets are completely vegetarian though if meat is given the offering is not disgraced by not receiving the intention is honored for aiding the sangha.

So I am kind of curious how in the Tantric tradition meat and such could be viewed as skill full and or profitable, and that is a honest inquiry no judgement here just a curiousity in understanding the tradition better.

Practice, Practice, Practice
_R_

Post by _R_ »

As I don't possess any magical powers, nor I am in any way realised, I find it much easier NOT to eat meat.

In addition, saving lives in my limited experience is much powerful practice than using so called meat-mantras.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

_R_ wrote:As I don't possess any magical powers, nor I am in any way realised, I find it much easier NOT to eat meat.

In addition, saving lives in my limited experience is much powerful practice than using so called meat-mantras.
I think that would be how I would see it as well but I am open to understanding the depth of this practice. I feel it should be open to the practitioners to detail the content of their position.

However I think you did nail the simple and profound view of directness ;)

emaho

Post by emaho »

CedarTree wrote: I feel it should be open to the practitioners to detail the content of their position.
This has been explained and discussed ad nauseam in the Great Vegetarian Debate thread. This topic here is more for people who believe that saying Mantras for the dead animal actually does have a positive effect. I can't imagine that anybody here is willing to go into this endless debate all over again.
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

emaho wrote:
CedarTree wrote: I feel it should be open to the practitioners to detail the content of their position.
This has been explained and discussed ad nauseam in the Great Vegetarian Debate thread. This topic here is more for people who believe that saying Mantras for the dead animal actually does have a positive effect. I can't imagine that anybody here is willing to go into this endless debate all over again.
Not about a debate if it is good or bad in general. Looking for the Tantra understanding and the understanding of these mantras in a larger context.

Like I said above this isn't coming from a judgemental place, I earnestly want to understand the tradition a bit more in this regard.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”