Local Protectors

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
IdleChater

Re: Local Protectors

Post by IdleChater »

tingdzin wrote:Several teachers who have visited Crestone, Colorado, have noted without prompting the strong presence of local protectors there (the late Kusum Kingpa and Adzom tulku, for example; the latter asked some practitioners to do a special service for a particularly fierce mountan peak). Reggie Ray wrote a chant dedicated to his conception of a local protector, and some longtime practitioners have set up a naga shrine there where they make offerings on the proper days.
I wouldn't pretend to know a local protector, but having been to Crestone on a number of occasions, I'm certain there's some next-level stuff going on there. The vibe is palpable.

I believe it's a Naga shrine you can find along a creek that crosses the road out to the Tashi Gomang Stupa.
Motova

Post by Motova »

I've always been interested in the spiritual history of Canada which is one of the reasons why I am studying Native Studies in university. I was told a condensed version of the Mohawk Creation Story by one of the most respected and knowledgeable Elders in Ontario, and supposedly they have 4 protectors (one for each direction). But that's all I know, I'll be seeing him a few more times in 2014 so I will be sure to ask him. SO if anyone has any questions, I don't mind asking. I am currently learning Oji-Cree and Oneida, so I will have plenty of opportunities to find this stuff out. The idea of Canadian Buddhism is very appealing to me, and I don't think it's too far away. We are living in very interesting times!!! :twothumbsup: :woohoo:
To become a rain man one must master the ten virtues and sciences.
Palzang Jangchub

Post by Palzang Jangchub »

Wonder if the lamas sensing a need for local spirit/worldly protector propitiation are tapping into the wounds left by British, French, and American Colonialism. Perhaps they see such pujas as a way of making reparations between occupants and the Native peoples who originally inhabited those areas. What would our teachers would say and do if they retraced the Trail of Tears?

"The Sutras, Tantras, and Philosophical Scriptures are great in number. However life is short, and intelligence is limited, so it's hard to cover them completely. You may know a lot, but if you don't put it into practice, it's like dying of thirst on the shore of a great lake. Likewise, a common corpse is found in the bed of a great scholar." ~ Karma Chagme

དྲིན་ཆེན་རྩ་བའི་བླ་མ་སྐྱབས་རྗེ་མགར་ཆེན་ཁྲི་སྤྲུལ་རིན་པོ་ཆེ་ཁྱེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ།།
རྗེ་བཙུན་བླ་མ་མཁས་གྲུབ་ཀརྨ་ཆགས་མེད་མཁྱེན་ནོ། ཀརྨ་པ་མཁྱེན་ནོཿ
reddust

Post by reddust »

Karma Jinpa wrote:Wonder if the lamas sensing a need for local spirit/worldly protector propitiation are tapping into the wounds left by British, French, and American Colonialism. Perhaps they see such pujas as a way of making reparations between occupants and the Native peoples who originally inhabited those areas. What would our teachers would say and do if they retraced the Trail of Tears?
I've thought of that too! There are so many areas of war, not just native deaths but the civil war, slavery, slaughter, plague throughout the Americas that need healing. Also you can't ignore the amazing energy in nature that could be tapped into and used for the positive. Our teachers need to go camping with us. Also the ancient civilizations that were here before native Americans, old ruins that run throughout Northern and Southern Americas. :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living
reddust

Post by reddust »

Motova wrote:I've always been interested in the spiritual history of Canada which is one of the reasons why I am studying Native Studies in university. I was told a condensed version of the Mohawk Creation Story by one of the most respected and knowledgeable Elders in Ontario, and supposedly they have 4 protectors (one for each direction). But that's all I know, I'll be seeing him a few more times in 2014 so I will be sure to ask him. SO if anyone has any questions, I don't mind asking. I am currently learning Oji-Cree and Oneida, so I will have plenty of opportunities to find this stuff out. The idea of Canadian Buddhism is very appealing to me, and I don't think it's too far away. We are living in very interesting times!!! :twothumbsup: :woohoo:
I am making a note of this, I have had two vivid dreams about a woman with a spider. Ask him about this, I call her the weaver woman or spider woman.

Hopefully we can stay in touch through 2014 :namaste:
Mind and mental events are concepts, mere postulations within the three realms of samsara Longchenpa .... A link to my Garden, Art and Foodie blog Scratch Living

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”