Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
n8pee

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by n8pee »

Namdrol wrote:
The doctrine of Karma in Buddhism is an aesthetic moral theory. Moral actions garner pleasant results, immoral actions garner unpleasant results. Therefore, all happiness and all suffering is result of one's own moral or immoral acts in this or in past lives.

If you can't accept that, than Buddhism will be a constant source of frustration for you and you will waste a lot of intellectual energy trying to get Buddhism to fit your needs. In the end, you will give up Buddhism. So, it is better perhaps not even to start. One does not need to be a Buddhist to meditate, or be a nice person,or even a profoundly spiritual, compassionate person etc.

If you wish to be free of suffering and its causes, however, then Buddhism is your only solution.

N
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

unlocked by request.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

n8pee wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am
Namdrol wrote:
The doctrine of Karma in Buddhism is an aesthetic moral theory. Moral actions garner pleasant results, immoral actions garner unpleasant results. Therefore, all happiness and all suffering is result of one's own moral or immoral acts in this or in past lives.

If you can't accept that, than Buddhism will be a constant source of frustration for you and you will waste a lot of intellectual energy trying to get Buddhism to fit your needs. In the end, you will give up Buddhism. So, it is better perhaps not even to start. One does not need to be a Buddhist to meditate, or be a nice person,or even a profoundly spiritual, compassionate person etc.

If you wish to be free of suffering and its causes, however, then Buddhism is your only solution.

N
:good: quite poignant
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

n8pee wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:22 am
Namdrol wrote:

N
That is wise. Namdrol is Malcolm?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:52 pm That is wise. Namdrol is Malcolm?
Yes.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote:
...which Shravaka schools assert that nirvana = absolute extinction/nothingness?
Sautrantikas for one.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... 0&start=80
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:...most of Buddhists are not serious scholars, and only play team sports for the views promulgated as official in their school. This is why I personally abandoned paying too much mind to what Tibetans had to say about madhyamaka, and exclusively rely on what can be discerned in the authentic treatises of the founders of these two systems, madhyamaka and yogacāra, and free of the largely Tibetan historical interpretation of Buddhist doctrine through the lens of the three turnings, a lens entirely neglected by Indian masters.
https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... 40#p519440
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:If you want to understand Madhyamaka, a gounding in Abdhidharma is a little necessary. If you wan to understand emptiness, the heart sutra is sufficient.
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=32922&start=20
Gedun

Post by Gedun »

From "A concise guide to conservatism".
Malcolm wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:30 pmAfflictions and ideals have nothing to do with one another. Ideals are just intellectual concepts. Afflictions are what motivate sentient beings. Of course, the state of being afflicted is able to be transcended individually, but not en masse.
This is wisdom, axiomatic. Distinguish between ideal and affliction help understand many important things. Cut to heart of Mahayana. Check motivation antidote to all affliction.
Last edited by Ayu on Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:For regular people, even positive actions are tainted with afflictions.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32864&start=60
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

smcj wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:48 am
Malcolm wrote:For regular people, even positive actions are tainted with afflictions.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32864&start=60
This is one of the most difficult aspects of Dharma to get across. Particularly to New Agers or “hello trees, hello sky” reality deniers.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:The material aggregate includes all ten of our physical sense organs and sense objects. Any physical sense object you perceive belongs to your material aggregate. Ergo, if you get mad when you see and hear the object, Donald Trump, you are in effect just getting mad at your own material aggregate.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=33348&sid=441bcf7a ... &start=140
Schrödinger’s Yidam

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php? ... start=140
Malcolm wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:07 pm
Grigoris wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:46 pm
It could be a puppy instead that elicits the same feeling, as it is all just a construction of my mind.
It is not exactly a construction of your mind. It's a reaction of an afflicted mind to an afflicted object.

So the object must play some role.

Of course, but it is still part of your material aggregate for as long as it is within the range of any of your five physical senses.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

This qoute is so important:

"In my opinion, irrespective of this or that empowerment, special or not, as long as one remains interested in the path, than all of your samayas are intact, whether or not you do this or that visualization or chant this or that mantra.

Your vows are all rolled up in one question: are you interested in liberating yourself for the benefit of all sentient beings or not? If yes, then you have samaya. If not, then not.

There are acts which can break your path commitments, but these also can be restored. Vajrayāna samaya is not whips and chains."

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=21811&p=321464&hilit=whips#p321464
Schrödinger’s Yidam

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php ... start=80
Malcolm wrote: Dharma is not about meditating. This is vastly misunderstood point. The Buddha did not meditate in order to achieve awakening.
:jawdrop:
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Agree. ‘Meditation’ has become a technique, something which can be bought and sold.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Wayfarer wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:45 am Agree. ‘Meditation’ has become a technique, something which can be bought and sold.
:jawdrop:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: "Conviction" aka faith, means you have to take someone else's word for it. Buddhadharma recognizes three sources of authority, not merely one, as some modern interpreters of Buddhism maintain. What are the three? Direct perception, inference, and testimony of reliable witnesses. These days, many people interested in Buddhism have been mislead to believe that only direct perception is a valid authority. However, this is actually the position of the Ancient Indian materialist school, the Carvaka/Lokayatis.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33483&start=140
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:Ngondro comes from India. In India, anuttarayoga tantra ngondro consisted principally of Vajrasattva, Mandala offerings, and Guru Yoga, and the latter was generally incorporated into one's daily sadhana.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=33943
Schrödinger’s Yidam

From 2017:
Malcolm wrote:I still maintain one does not have to convert to Buddhism to be Dzogchen practitioner. But if you understand Dzogchen teachings, how can you not be a follower of Buddhadharma? Buddhism in all its many forms and Buddhadharma are just not the same thing at all. The former is involved in all kinds of beliefs, judgments, bias, discrimination, etc. The latter is based on personal experience.
Apparently this is an important distinction for him.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26803&start=440

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”