Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:10 am
Jesse wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:00 pm If one can hallucinate singular selves, why can't they hallucinate a unified self?
A self nominally designated on the basis of the aggregates is quite different than a universal designated on nothing at all.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... &t=37900
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:41 am
nightbloom wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:39 amAnd it's not a healthy one.
Nonsense. Why should I believe in anything? Beliefs are crutches. However, dependent origination is not a belief. It’s what you directly experience, whether you know it or not. And dependent origination is all you can experience. And nothing can be correctly explained in absence of dependent origination. This is atheism to the core.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... tart=260
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

The point is simple: ordinary human beings, like you and I, cannot take teachings from anyone other than a nirmāṇakāya. In order to receive teachings from the sambhogakāya, one must be an eighth stage bodhisattva or higher.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.p ... 28#p606128
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

The point is simple: ordinary human beings, like you and I, cannot take teachings from anyone other than a nirmāṇakāya. In order to receive teachings from the sambhogakāya, one must be an eighth stage bodhisattva or higher.
Really? Wow. I thought it was pretty common.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:17 pm
And of course this is consistent with “there is no higher power”, etc.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:52 pm
And of course this is consistent with “there is no higher power”, etc.
What higher power is there than the mind?
Is not the essence of mind dharmakaya?
How is mind’s true nature separate from sambhogakaya?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

No, it is functionally impossible for an ordinary person, or even a sixth stage bodhisattva to see the sambhogakāya. This is due to their not having eliminated the afflictive obscuration. This is really an elementary principle that should surprise no one.
You are confusing the three kāyas of the basis with the three kāyas of the result. In essence, because the mind's nature is inseparable clarity and emptiness, emptiness is the basis for the realization of the dharmakāya, clarity is the basis for realizing the nirmanakāya, and inseparability is the basis for realizing the sambhogakāya. But this does not mean that the nature of your mind innately possesses the 32 major marks and the eighty minor marks.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

[quote=Malcolm post_id=606713 time=1635945421 user_id=
No, it is functionally impossible for an ordinary person, or even a sixth stage bodhisattva to see the sambhogakāya. This is due to their not having eliminated the afflictive obscuration. This is really an elementary principle that should surprise no one.

[/quote]

So if someone “sees” a Buddha during meditation, that’s always deluded? Not blessings with delusion?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Arnoud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:41 pm So if someone “sees” a Buddha during meditation, that’s always deluded? Not blessings with delusion?
It could be the ripening of traces of positive karma of someone is below the path of seeing, it could be a delusion of māra (especially if it talks to you and tells you what a good pratitioner you are, etc.), it could be a sign of heat on the path of application, but in all cases it is just your own mind.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:17 pm
You are confusing the three kāyas of the basis with the three kāyas of the result. In essence, because the mind's nature is inseparable clarity and emptiness, emptiness is the basis for the realization of the dharmakāya, clarity is the basis for realizing the nirmanakāya, and inseparability is the basis for realizing the sambhogakāya. But this does not mean that the nature of your mind innately possesses the 32 major marks and the eighty minor marks.
What about thogal visions?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:02 pm
Arnoud wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:41 pm So if someone “sees” a Buddha during meditation, that’s always deluded? Not blessings with delusion?
It could be the ripening of traces of positive karma of someone is below the path of seeing, it could be a delusion of māra (especially if it talks to you and tells you what a good pratitioner you are, etc.), it could be a sign of heat on the path of application, but in all cases it is just your own mind.
Thank you. 👍
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tata1 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:12 pm What about thogal visions?
Simulacrum, not real sambhogakāya, again just the ripening of traces in your own mind. And you should ask about such things on line.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:39 pm
Simulacrum, not real sambhogakāya, again just the ripening of traces in your own mind. And you should ask about such things on line.
So something like the example wisdom is to dharmakaya?
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Tata1 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 am
Ups sorry. Just read the last line.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

”malcolm” wrote: The perfection of wisdom states three things, which are all synonymous: all things are empty. All things are nonarisen. All things have always been in a state of nirvana. This means that nature of all things is that they are unconditioned. Everything that seems conditioned, is in reality, unconditioned. But that unconditioned state is still a negation. That's why it isn't anything at all. The unconditioned is not even unconditioned because there isn't anything to be unconditioned, since by definition, the unconditioned never arises. That which does not arise does not exist, for example, the sprout of burnt seed.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Tata1 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:10 am
Tata1 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:06 am

Ups sorry. Just read the last line.
Yes, something like that.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:51 pm
Soma999 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:13 am
There is a Mystery that exists, both within yourself and outside, both manifested and not manifested which is pure love. How do we know ? Many have touched this source, and miracles could manifest from it. At our level, we feel guided and empowered. Not by a « being », but by the highest manifestation of consciousness which vibrates on the frequency of love
There is no source, no pure love, or anything like it. The highest manifestation of consciousness is a person who has realized how things are 100%, in other words, a buddha.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... start=20
Schrödinger’s Yidam

I love this thread.
Malcolm wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:00 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:56 pm
I’m a Shentongpa. That didn’t exist in India.
Yes, actually it did, in the work of Ratnakāraśanti, a paṇḍita of Vikramaśila. Apart from tathāgatagarbha, which he ignored, his arguments about the ultimate existence of gnosis are taken directly from his works by such gzhan stong scholars as Shakya Chogden, Taranatha, etc. There is also his attempt to reconcile Nāgārjuna with the Maitreyan corpus, which also inspired these gzhan stong scholars. One of his works was translated by his student, the Nepali paṇdita, Śantibhadra, complete with a colophon complaining bitterly of the annihilationism of Candrakīrti. Someone recently did a paper on this text which you can find on Academia edu.

Incidentally, you contradict your own tradition, which asserts that gzhan stong entered Tibetan through the Kashmiri Paṇḍita Sajjana, so again, an Indian paṇḍita...
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic. ... &t=38542
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:01 pm
Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:34 pm
So from the Vajrayana point of view, there is in fact something topiary to, and doing so does facilitate one's attainment of the result.
DW has a lot of threads and posts about these points. I just thought I'd share how an authority on Karma Kagyu view sees it.
Of course there is an object of supplication, relatively speaking, and the merit of making such supplications supports the attainment of buddhahood. No one rejects this.

But not even buddhas exist from their own side.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic. ... 0&t=38682
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:54 pm
nyonchung wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:23 pm
Certainly views differ (notably on the definition of kyerim and dzogrim) as certainly some Sakyapas don't consider kindly some of Khedrub Jé's view on tantra.
These things do not matter and should be left to moulder in the 15th century, where they belong. Every major school of Tibetan Buddhism produces awakened people in every generation, despite differences in explanation and approaches.
https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic ... start=60

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”