Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Re: Illuminating Quotes by Malcolm Namdrol-la

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Attempts to create enlightened societies always end in tears.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29395&start=20
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kris

Post by Kris »

Yidams
Malcolm wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 pm

"Yi dam" means "promise," actually. Thus, if you are a Dzogchen practitioner, your promise is vidyā. If you say that you are a Dzogchen practitioner, you are essentially claiming that vidyā is your yidam. Everything else is secondary.
Malcolm wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:30 pm

Anytime you take an empowerment, you are making a commitment to that method of practice from now until awakening. That is essentially what a yidam is, i.e., a commitment to the path of awakening. The whole idea of "special yidams" is a bit of quasi theistic superstition. It does not matter who anyone's yidam is since the continuum of pristine consciousness of all yidams is the same.

People have karmic relations with this or that practice. But in reality, everyone in Mahāyāna has the same yidam: buddhahood.
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=25145&p=382186&hil ... ic#p382186
Malcolm wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:45 pm
The difference is that people of your inclination, gradualists, are algorithmic in their approach and understanding of practice and realization. People of our inclination, non-gradualists, are dialectical in our approach and understanding of practice and realization.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:
ford_truckin wrote:What practices can you recommend that would lead to a realization of the first bhumi? Something simple would be nice.
Ngondro practice, refuge, bodhicitta, Vajrasattva, Mandala offerings, and Guru Yoga. One does not really need any other practices.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29902&sid=f9ebad66 ... 40#p473412
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:A Vajrayāna practitioner, by virtue of their practice, can gather the two accumulations necessary for full buddhahood in a very short period of time.

This is impossible in the cause vehicle.

Of course there are some fools who think that gathering the two accumulations are unnecessary for buddhahood. They are objects of pity.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=29902&start=20
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 pm
Seeker12 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 pm The three natures as presented in the Mahayana are the parikalpita nature, the paratantra nature, and the pariniṣpanna nature.

Does anyone know or can any point to any resources on the actual breakdown of these terms? They are translated in various ways, such as Imaginary, Other-dependent & Perfect (Karl Brunnhölzl), Imagined, Other-dependent & Consummate (Jay L. Garfield), and Imputation, Dependence & the Absolute (Lama Chökyi Nyima) - I am interested in the sort of etymology of the terms.

For example, I'm guessing parikalpita has various parts such as pari and kalpita or whatever - what do the various parts mean?

Thanks. I hope it's clear enough.
Pari means totally, kalpita means imagined, conceptualized, etc.
Para means other; tantra means dependent.
niṣpanna means "accomplished" or "perfected, as in completion stage, niṣpannakrama. Thus pariniṣpanna means "totally perfected"
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=30026
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

smcj wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 am
Malcolm wrote:A Vajrayāna practitioner, by virtue of their practice, can gather the two accumulations necessary for full buddhahood in a very short period of time.

Of course there are some fools who think that gathering the two accumulations are unnecessary for buddhahood. They are objects of pity.
Malcolm wrote: The result does not depend on the two accumulations.
viewtopic.php?t=6591#p78290

I'm assuming that 2018 Malcolm overrides 2012 Namdrol?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 pm

One statement is made from the point of view of Great Perfection, the other statement is made from the point of view of general Vajrayāna. While the vehicles may contradict each other, the lower being contradicted by the higher, I am not guilty of such a contradiction myself.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 pm

One statement is made from the point of view of Great Perfection, the other statement is made from the point of view of general Vajrayāna. While the vehicles may contradict each other, the lower being contradicted by the higher, I am not guilty of such a contradiction myself.
I've wondered about this for quite some time. Thanks for the clarification!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Thomas Amundsen wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:35 pm
Malcolm wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:26 pm

I've wondered about this for quite some time. Thanks for the clarification!
The ultimate of the lower is the relative of the higher.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:26 am The ultimate of the lower is the relative of the higher.
viewtopic.php?p=475041#p475041
Kris

Post by Kris »

Malcolm wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:11 pm
adinatha wrote:
That's good to know. So why is 10 minutes of a Song of Vajra better than 10 minutes of some other Atiyoga guru yoga mantra and visualization? And then how is that better than just resting in rigpa?
Because the song of the vajra has another name "The primordial state of Samantabhadra".

When relying on a non-conceptual continuum,
at this time one should sing...
If concentration is not occurring for someone,
with this it occurs naturally...
When a yogin has lethargy,
when revived with this, samadhi is excellent...
Therefore, sing the song of the vajra.

-- Tantra of the Union of the Sun and Moon.

Song of the Vajra is ChNN's main practice.

N
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:
Because all entities can be perceived veridically,
it is found that all entities can be apprehended with two natures.
When some object that is perceived veridically, that is true.
All [objects] perceived falsely are said to be relative truths.

Candra continues:

"The buddhas that know with correct wisdom the intrinsic nature of the two truths have taught that all external entities such as formations, sprouts, and so on, have two intrinsic natures. These [natures] are relative and ultimate.

This excludes your contention that what is being referred to are mental representations.

He continues:

The ultimate is the acquisition of the essential identity of the specific object of the wisdom (jñāna) that sees the truth, but is not established through its own nature. This is the first nature. The other is all the mental eyes of ordinary people that are obscured with opthalmia and cataracts, which find an existent self from the power of false perception. Whatever becomes the object of the perception of children, such a nature is not intrinsically established. Therefore, the nature of all entities are apprehended in these two ways.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30308&start=60
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Malcolm wrote:The basis is the basis is the basis, whether it "rises up" or not. Anyway, here the basis is just the mind essence, one's unfabricated consciousness.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30373
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:But if you can put yourself at the feet of qualified master who teaches Dzogchen from their own experience then there is no limit of benefit and you will receive transmission whether you are a Buddhist, an Catholic or an Alien. Transmission is beyond mind. Dzogchen is beyond mind, a personal experience beyond reckoning, calculation, something within the reach of everyone who is interested to discover their own nature. So yes, Dzogchen is an aqua regia, a royal water capable of dissolving all limitations whatsoever if one just puts it into sincere practice.

Some people are very attached to the Buddhist clothes in which they find Dzogchen. Those clothes are not so important. Dzogchen texts are relative so they reflect the culture of those they find themselves in. The principle of the three kāyas is beyond language, so it does not matter at all what you call your three kāyas. The three kāyas just express aspects of the wisdom of the basis.

In fact if you closely examine Dzogchen language you see that it uses non-Buddhist examples all the time. For example. the notion of the peacock feather's colors being naturally formed is actually drawn from the Carvaka India materalist school -- they use that example to prove there is no creator, and so do we. A peacocks feather has eyes just because it is the nature of a peacock's feather to have eyes. Wisdom exists in the heart of each and every sentient beings just because it is the nature of a sentient being to have wisdom in each and everyone's heart. We don't have to do anything to create that wisdom. We don't have to do anything at all to develop that wisdom. We cannot improve that wisdom or harm it in anyway. It is as integral to our state as the five elements from which we are made (since they are made from it, anyway).
Malcolm Smith, 2012. A great vintage! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Unfortunately this is from a thread where Malcolm is being quoted from an even earlier thread. No link to the original thread was provided. As such it is second hand information. Still...
Malcolm wrote: The point is that part of the sutra under question, which "normalizes" the view of the MPNS does not seem to be present in any other recension. It certainly is not in the Tibetan version. Based in that, we can consider that the original Tathagatagarbha theory was fully eternalist.
Malcolm wrote: Yes, but your point has little bearing on the original meaning of the MPSN sutra as a text in its own right, apart from the various sectarian uses and interpretations of it there may be been. I was discussing the fact that originally the MPNS introduced a eternalism into Buddhism.
Here’s the link to the secondary posting.
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=10011
boundless

Post by boundless »

smcj wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 pm Unfortunately this is from a thread where Malcolm is being quoted from an even earlier thread. No link to the original thread was provided. As such it is second hand information. Still...
Malcolm wrote: The point is that part of the sutra under question, which "normalizes" the view of the MPNS does not seem to be present in any other recension. It certainly is not in the Tibetan version. Based in that, we can consider that the original Tathagatagarbha theory was fully eternalist.
Hi,

this quote can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=80&start=20#p107163
smcj wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 pm
Malcolm wrote: Yes, but your point has little bearing on the original meaning of the MPSN sutra as a text in its own right, apart from the various sectarian uses and interpretations of it there may be been. I was discussing the fact that originally the MPNS introduced a eternalism into Buddhism.
Here’s the link to the secondary posting.
viewtopic.php?f=77&t=10011
the second quote, instead, here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=80&start=20#p107177. They are actually both in page 2 of the thread: "The Mahaparinirvana Sutra".

All the best,

:namaste:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

boundless wrote:Hi,

this quote can be found here:
Okay. Wow. Excellent detective work. Thanks.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Meta-discussion about Malcolm removed. The title makes the purpose of the thread clear. Thanks!
Dorje Shedrub

Post by Dorje Shedrub »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:23 pm
HandsomeMonkeyking wrote:I have not yet understood why the counting is important at all.
There are three ways to do a deity retreat, the best is to practice until you achieve a sign; the medium is doing some practice for a set period. The inferior is counting. Most people are inferior.
Homage to the Precious Dzogchen Master
🙏🌺🙏 Chögyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche
🙏🌺🙏

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”